Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Default Question about stomach fat/skin while losing weight

I finally found a healthy food plan that works and for the first time in my life am slowly losing weight and feel really optimistic that I am finally going to be able to get and stay healthy.

I have a question. I am a huge apple shape and have a huge belly. As my stomach shrinks, I am becoming concerned with droopiness both of the stomach area and of the skin. I think I read somewhere that wearing a compression garment can help as you lose weight and retrain your abs to support everything.

Anyone have any info on this? And if so, what kind of garment? I looked but all I can find are binders for hernias and binders that are supposed to get you to sweat weight off (which I'm not looking for). I'm really just looking for a way to not let my droopy tissue get damaged any more and to help keep everything "in" so to speak. The only idea I had was maybe a post-pregnancy garment of some sort - but those seem expensive.

Any advice, suggestions, information, help?

Thanks!
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I think you are thinking about something like these: http://www.medicointernational.com/s...oduct_list&c=4
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

If you don't want something as thick as the abdominal binder, you could try something like a Spanx camisole or high waisted shorts/panties.

http://www.spanx.com/product/index.j...entPage=family

FWIW, I'm very apple-y, too, and I haven't noticed much of a problem with my abdominal skin yet. But I still like the Spanx stuff for smoothing, and for buying stuff slightly too small so I can extend its useful life.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Compression garments will help you look better with clothes on but they aren't going to "retrain your abs to support everything".

It doesn't work that way, unfortunately.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #5  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

along with john, im going to have to say that this is sadly impossible with a garment.

i cant stand girdle/spanx type garments. i feel so uncomfortable in them. unfortunately, after weight gains and losses and/or pregnancies loose skin is just part of life sometimes. you can always have it surgically removed but for me personally it just doesnt seem worth the money and surgical risk. if its really getting to you buy some slimming high waist undies like spanx. ive chosen to just live with my slightly saggy belly, its better than tight skin thats packed with fat!

Last edited by juliastl27; 10-15-2012 at 01:58 AM.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Your degree of droopiness is going to depend a lot on how much weight you have to lose and how old you are. Need to lose 100 pounds? You're going to have some droop, although it's nothing compared to having that skin filled with fat. Are you 45 and not 20? You're going to have more droop.

You can strengthen your core to help support things, and you should, but that doesn't tighten skin. Neither do restrictive garments.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
Need to lose 100 pounds? You're going to have some droop
Nooooooooooo......say it ain't so!!!

I've been thinking about this subject here lately and wondering if I'll fall in the "droopy skin" category. I guess it can also depend on how you carried your excess weight too, no? Maybe the places that stretch the most from excess fat will be the problem areas (just a guess). I know my belly has stretched quite a bit from two babies so I'm hoping to rebound nicely from that. Time will tell. I have a friend who's 5'4" and 270 and carries practically no weight in her stomach and has no belly stretch marks. It's mainly in her thighs and butt. Must be nice lol. We all pack it on differently.
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieand2girls View Post
I guess it can also depend on how you carried your excess weight too, no? Maybe the places that stretch the most from excess fat will be the problem areas (just a guess). I know my belly has stretched quite a bit from two babies so I'm hoping to rebound nicely from that. Time will tell. I have a friend who's 5'4" and 270 and carries practically no weight in her stomach and has no belly stretch marks. It's mainly in her thighs and butt. Must be nice lol. We all pack it on differently.
All very true.

Also, how much loose skin you end up with depends on your age and your genetics.

Time plays a large role in tightening things up too.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote