3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Getting back at it in college! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/267877-getting-back-college.html)

Melonlefey 10-10-2012 09:28 PM

Getting back at it in college!

Hey :) So I'm a freshman this year, and I was doing a really good job of losing about 1-2lbs per week over the summer, but once classes started I hit a plateau!

I'm not sure if this was the dreaded plateau everyone was warning me about, or if it was because my eating habits changed some after I started using the cafeteria. (luckily I haven't gained any of it back!)

Regardless, I'm DETERMINED to break through this and continue on to my goal! If I do really well, I bet I can reach my goal before new years! So, any tips for getting over a plateau, or what might have caused it?

Spiritix 10-10-2012 11:01 PM

Well, definitely the stress of college is taking its toll. How many classes are you taking? I'm a freshman too, and I'm only taking 4 classes this year, and I'm not too stressed out. Then again, I tend to walk a lot a I run, so that probably helps. Are you stressed at all?

Melonlefey 10-11-2012 01:43 AM

Well, it ebbs and flows I guess. Every two weeks I have an exam so that's sort of stressful but its not so bad. I'm taking 16 credit hours though, and some that I'm not so great at. I didn't know that stress was a factor... I guess it makes sense though!

Clmiller0782 10-11-2012 03:36 AM

Stress absolutely plays a role in how and when You are able to lose weight. When You are really stressed out, your cortisol levels rise in your body, which causes you to pack on the pounds, more or less. So, you might try relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, relaxation exercises like guided imagery (you can look that up online to find helpful examples), taking a long walk or other exercise that you enjoy. Try to set aside 5-10 minutes each day to do something that you find relaxing.

Next, if you work out, you should try to change your workout up a bit. You should change your workout routine about every 8 days or so because it keeps your body "on its toes". When you do the same routine over and over, your body knows what to expect and therefore isn't burning as many calories. Also, try interval training. For example, you might walk 1-2 minutes, then run as fast as you can for 45 seconds or a minute, then walk at a brisk pace for 1-2 minutes, run again, etc... But go all out. Go as hard and as fast as you can and make your heart rate go up. You can also try adding strength training in maybe every other day or so. Or even to start like 1-2 days a week of strength training. Start by working out smaller muscle groups like triceps, biceps, shoulders, etc... Then move to larger muscle groups like calves, hamstrings, glutes, and thighs...you can also do calisthenics using nothing but your own body weight -- done correctly and intensely enough, this is an amazing workout. You can try, for example, doing walking lunges, squats, bicycle (for your abs -- shoulders to opposite knee while laying on floor), planks, push-ups, back against wall with legs bent at 90 degree angle.... Hold as long as you can (preferably until your legs burn and you can't sit there for one more second).... These are all exercises you can do without having gym equipment.

Lets not forget our eating habits. I have felt the effects of having to be at the mercy of cafeteria food.... Not always great. Try to aim for as healthy as possible. Salad? Maybe with some chicken on top. Or you could have a sub loaded with veggies and some lean meat like chicken or turkey... Go light on mayo and even ketchup because ketchup has high sugar content. It's added calories that can really start to add up in the end. Try to keep fruits in your dorm room too. Like bananas, grapes, apples, etc. things that you can keep in a dorm size fridge.

Hope this helps! Good luck :-)

givepeaceachance 11-08-2012 08:53 PM

Try to take the stairs, etc whenever you go somewhere. When you take a break from studying, go for a walk. It will clear your mind, give you an energy boost and keep you healthy =)