Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #16  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

It gets easier. When I was having trouble dieting I could always make it through day 1, but then would blow day 2 and then give up for a while and try again in a week. That got me absolutely no where. When I finally learned that it is not always about motivation, but more about commitment, I started having more success. I find that I do better when I workout on a regular basis. I do better when I limit my sugar and carbs. Stick to your diet and see what works for you. You may learn that somethings are perfect for you and others you need to tweek. There is no right way to do it for everyone - it is very individual. In any case, know that when you want to cheat or celebrate we are here for you. We have advice, support, and friendship to offer. You can do this. You just need to believe in yourself and make sure you don't let yourself make excuses. Good luck!
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #17  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

starting up just kind of sucks.

before you switch up your plan id give it a little time to get into your "groove" so to speak.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #18  
Foodie For Life

S/C/G: 192/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

It's difficult to change your lifestyle... Diet, breaking bad habits... You're mind and body aren't used to it. I am a yo-yo dieter and I know better than anyone what it feels like to want to throw in the towel (done it so many times). I've always wanted to lose weight for vanity reasons. Now as I am approaching 30, with a young daughter, I am realizing how important it is to make a LIFESTYLE change to not ONLY look better but to feel better and finally be a healthy woman. I believe that's the mind set you need to have in order to succeed and keep the weight off for good. Don't look at it as a diet... But a favor to yourself to be a healthy woman!
NolaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #19  

S/C/G: sw190/cw179.5/gw145

Height: 5'8"

I started dieting five weeks ago. I'm doing a WW/low carb, low sugar plan. The first week was TORTURE. I had hunger pains, cravings, headaches, and basically felt like poo. I stuck with it though. I read something on here about how it is ok to be hungry(sometimes). I'm not going to pass out or die. I stuck with it and my body has adjusted to my new lifestyle. I've lost 22.5 #s!! It is so worth it. It will get easier, and you will be so happy with yourself. All the tough times will pay off in more ways than you can imagine. Planning meals is a key to your success. You can do this!
lucky216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #20  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Looks like I stand corrected. I always had thought day one was easy to get through and it started getting tough day 2 but apparently many folks have trouble on day one.

Best of luck.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #21  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Looks like I stand corrected. I always had thought day one was easy to get through and it started getting tough day 2 but apparently many folks have trouble on day one.

Best of luck.

i know what you mean, im all gung ho on the first day, but just the beginning in general is hard for me.

i have a hard time until it becomes "habit". once im starting to know/remember what has how many calories and get very used to tracking it gets a LOT easier. usually a month or so for me.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #22  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliastl27 View Post
i know what you mean, im all gung ho on the first day, but just the beginning in general is hard for me.

i have a hard time until it becomes "habit". once im starting to know/remember what has how many calories and get very used to tracking it gets a LOT easier. usually a month or so for me.
Experts say that getting rid of old habits is impossible because of how our brains work but you can build new habits and it takes 20-30 days to do it.

Unfortunately as most smokers know those old habits are always lurking ...
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #23  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Unfortunately as most smokers know those old habits are always lurking ...

^i know about this more than anybody^
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

You can totally do it!! The first day is absolutely the hardest. And you say fruit and veggies are free? That's great! So even when you're out of points, you can still have a banana, or some grapes, or some carrots...Right now, fruit might not seem like such a big deal, but as you "detox," it's going to feel like more of a treat. Just to get you started, you can also lean on diet soda, Crystal Lite, sugar-free Jell-O (like 15 calories), chewing gum, pickles, etc.

Last edited by HungryHungryHippo; 10-09-2012 at 11:42 PM.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #25  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

Also feel free to come over to the 20-somethings subforum. While you may not be in that age bracket just yet, we totally relate to the stress of classes, being young, and trying to lose weight. I'm not saying everyone else won't help, we just are in similar circumstances.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 230/223/150

Height: 5'9"

thank you everyone for getting me through my first day! its on day two and im already feeling better. i weighed myself this morning and am down 2 POUNDS!!! just after cutting out most of my bad foods yesterday! I feel so much better about this because i feel like i can do it, like maybe being a little hungry between meals or not having my favorite snack food is totally worth waking up to this feeling
18young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #27  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18young View Post
thank you everyone for getting me through my first day! its on day two and im already feeling better. i weighed myself this morning and am down 2 POUNDS!!! just after cutting out most of my bad foods yesterday! I feel so much better about this because i feel like i can do it, like maybe being a little hungry between meals or not having my favorite snack food is totally worth waking up to this feeling

there ya go!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I just sort of breezed through most of the earlier posts, so I hope I'm not repeating too much.

1) I think it gets easier as you go along for a couple reason. You get used to it, you realize you have to do it, and eventually you just do it.

2) Talk with your mom. If she's doing WW with you, that should be a help to keep you on plan.

3) Good for you for doing this when you're young. A life long habit started yesterday! Be proud of that.

4) Some days we goof up. Make sure it's just one slip and not a long string of them.

5) Congrats on being a great student. Life can be so good if you let it. Be a good student in life, too, and learn what works and what doesn't and keep the good habits for the rest of your life.

6) I just hit a year of maintenance - my new motto is, "One down, hopefully 35 or 40 to go." You'll do this. It isn't short term, and once we get our heads around that, we are usually good to go. you WILL do this!

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 10-10-2012 at 07:05 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #29  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

Way to go 18!!!!
Keep up the good work!
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 170.5/164.5/140

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18young View Post
I dont have "major lack of motivation" im an 18 year old girl who has been heavy her whole life! i dont really like sugary items that much so no im not addicted to sugar. Im a high school senior who is taking 13 college credits instead of taking classes at my high school. if anything is working against me its stress not lack of motivation .
One think I've just learned by starting a low carb/low sugar plan, is that there is a LOT of hidden sugar out there. Did you know one serving size of milk has 12 grams of sugar?! I had no idea! I was also surprised to find out how sugary some fruits and vegetables were, like tomatoes and onions. So, even if you're not purposely eating a donut, you may be getting in a lot of sugar without realizing it. I'm now keeping my sugar intake to 15 grams or less a day. It's been a real eye opener to see how much sugar I was consuming everyday before I started tracking.

Last edited by mom23kids1; 10-19-2012 at 10:14 PM.
mom23kids1 is offline   Reply With Quote