Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #1  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Perspective

I found out a little while ago that an acquaintance of mine had a heart attack and died in her sleep 2 months ago at 33. She didn't have any health issues that I know of aside from the fact that she was overweight. She was maybe high 200s/low 300s, as I don't know for sure.

While getting in a decent size pair of jeans, or looking nice for some event may be a great side effect, the fundamental reason to lose weight is for my health. That's why I started in the first place.

That could have easily been me.

Sometimes we forget that reason. Sometimes we say, 'I'm too worn out on dieting', or 'oh, I'll be happy at 170 and stop there.' despite the fact that we're still overweight at that point. We're just kidding ourselves.

Sometimes you need a good kick in the head to put things in perspective again.

Last edited by Vex; 10-08-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks-you, Vex. That post was with done impeccable timing. My son's FIL just had a heart attack and is in very serious shape. He is exactly my age and has been ignoring his weight for years. It sure makes one think!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

We could die at any time, certainly, but I agree that limiting risk factors and semi-preventable causes of mortality is really in the best interest onnourselves AND our families. Thank you for the reminder and I'm sorry to hear about your friend (and yours, Ruth!).
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Very true. While I believe someone can be healthy and also overweight when you're morbidly obese you're putting your well being at risk.

I'm curious - is your friend doing anything about her weight now?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #5  

Same here, a dear friend just got out of rehab after 6 weeks in the hospital from a heart attack and diabetes all weight related. He had dropped from 400lbs to 30olbs but still had a way to go. he is finally home but his wife is so unhealthy and tips the scales at 500+. I woke up at that point and realized that while I was healthier than him that I was still in need of some serious help and weight loss. Want my child to have me longer if it is God's will
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #6  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

That's why I made the decision to make it to the healthy zone. If something is going to cause me to have health problems, I know my weight won't be it.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #7  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

No John, she died from it. I thought I had said that, but I didn't. I'll edit it to read correctly. Sometimes when I'm emotional I type too fast.

She wasn't really my close friend, but a friend of mine's fiance. It's just when you hear things that are really in tune with your own life I guess.

I'm really sorry to hear that Ruth.

Last edited by Vex; 10-08-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote