Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Psyllium fiber capsules question (TMI)

My morning routine begins at 5:30. Between then and when I get to work at 7:45, I have usually consumed about 40 ounces of water. When I get to work, I take 4 psyllium fiber therapy capsules because I have such a protein-heavy diet, and I just don't get enough fiber without it. When I take the capsules, I pound another 20 ounces of water down within a minute or so because of the choking hazard with psyllium.

And here's the part I can't figure out. The label says that it 'generally produces effect in 12 to 72 hours.' But for me, the 'effect' is almost always 'produced' in less than 5 minutes. How does that even make sense? I can't imagine that the capsules have even fully dissolved at that point.

I am NOT complaining. I don't take it because I am constipated - I take it for the same reason as I take my multi - adequate fiber is important for good health. All of my theories surround a hope that I am so well 'swept out' that it just pushes out the previous day's food waste, and it just doesn't take long. But I can't honestly embrace that theory just because of how fast it is. It can't be the water either, as I drink lots of water throughout the day, including about 60 ounces of decaf green tea in a short time. It's just inexplicable to me.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #2  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieDawn View Post
And here's the part I can't figure out. The label says that it 'generally produces effect in 12 to 72 hours.' But for me, the 'effect' is almost always 'produced' in less than 5 minutes. How does that even make sense? I can't imagine that the capsules have even fully dissolved at that point..
It's probably psychological but yeah I wouldn't complain either.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #3  

Thanks for the response.

Yep. I thought about the psychological thing, but I don't think that explains it. First, I think psychological implies there is an expectation. I don't have it (or at least didn't when it started). And I have been taking them for two months, and this has only happened for the past two weeks or so. It is a real physical thing that is occurring. Just not sure why.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #4  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

I too have ....um......problems with constipation. Mine are related to taking just 2 codeine based pain killers at night to avoid waking up with pain from my arthritic knees.
You say you take psyllium daily? Then the response from your bowel is related to yesterday's psyllium and by drinking water and jiggling about you have woken up your whole digestive system and voila....movement in the bowels!
This is how it was explained to me by a dietician a while back.
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #5  
Warrior Princess

There was a certain store by my house that I would walk into and without fail I would have to go #2 (badly) by the time I left. Every single time. I have no idea why but it triggered something psychological.

Wish that store was still there, I could sure use it for times when I'm constipated.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain walker View Post
You say you take psyllium daily? Then the response from your bowel is related to yesterday's psyllium and by drinking water and jiggling about you have woken up your whole digestive system and voila....movement in the bowels!
This makes sense to me. Also, I have noticed with myself that my movements are like clockwork the same time of day....every single day. Could it be that it's just the time your body likes to discard?
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #7  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain walker View Post
I add psyllium powder to my breakfast smoothies every morning and I've pretty much experienced the same thing.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote