I need help getting started again :(

• So back in the early part of summer - I started a diet - lost 20 pound - did it the right way and never felt better about my hard work. Then along came the stress fracture on my foot. It is FINALLY healed. So now I can start walking again - the only way that really seems to help me lose weight - is walking. Forget about counting calories and diets - if I don't walk, I won't lose weight. Well I'm in a funk now - and can't seem to get up off the sofa - even though I know I need to, I know it's for the best. I lost my dad earlier this year and I'm still depressed about that. My kids are in school all day - and here I sit crying about my dad and miserable over my weight. I know my foot is healed - I know i need to just get out there and do it - I know that nobody can push me - other than myself - but please - a little shove? Please? I need to hear good thoughts and inspiring words. Tears flowing now. I need to shake it off.
  • First I want to give you a BIG hug! Losing a parent at any age is rough and it takes a long time to find peace with your loss. I lost my dad almost 18 years ago and I still miss him every day.

Second, I am shoving you out the door. Turn the TV off, put your tennies on and go. Don't think about it, don't give yourself any excuses just go. I had to work late last night so I did not get to bed at my normal time and when my alarm went off this morning, I really, really did not want to get up and work out but I did because I know that being healthy and losing weight is something I need to do for myself, no one else can do it for me, no matter how much I offer to pay them. LOL.

Get going, NOW! You will feel better afterwards.
  • These always motivate me to workout when I feel like sleeping in.

• Do it!! Would your dad really want to know you're sitting around all day crying? Would he want you to be sad all the time, neglecting your health? I think not. Do it for him, do it in his memory, do it for your own children so that when the time finally comes and it's your time to go they know that you lived your life to the fullest and didn't sit around feeling sorry for yourself all the time.
  • I'm very sorry to hear about your dad! I'm glad you are back!

Here's a *shove*. The first time back out seems to be the hardest. Don't think, or plan, or sit and stew, just GO!
  • I lost my father earlier this year too so I can identify. My father was very pleased about my weight loss so I vowed to keep going in honor of him. It does help.
  • Have you ever scheduled a time specifically for exercise? If you have a phone, for example, you could enter the time you want to exercise, select that it's everyday or every other day and (hopefully) you can select an alarm for so many minutes or an hour in advance to remind you that it's time to exercise?

I can relate to what you're feeling. I found out that I had a stress fracture of my femur (halfway between my knee and my hip) on the inside of my left leg back in January. Every time I try to run again, I can get some intense pain if I do too much. So maybe, start small? Try walking 15 minutes or around the block and then build from there.

Someone told me once (probably on here, lol) that weight loss isn't a sprint, it's a marathon- the best way to start is to put one foot in front of the other!

Also: I'm a huge proponent of doing resistance training- either with your own body (pushups, planks, squats, lunges)- be careful of doing anything with weights until your dr. clears you. Adding additional weight to your foot might cause more injury.

Keep moving, you CAN do it!!!!
  • Don't think about it- just get out there and walk. Try to do it as early as possible and you will have more energy and be in a better mood to deal with the rest of the day. Once you get started, you'll keep it up!
  • and hugs to each of you. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Each of you took your own time to post on my issue - and to offer such inspiring thoughts. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Oh thank you so much - I really needed to read your words and to hear from you. Thank you so much!!!!
    :heart:
  • Quote: Do it!! Would your dad really want to know you're sitting around all day crying? Would he want you to be sad all the time, neglecting your health? I think not. Do it for him, do it in his memory, do it for your own children so that when the time finally comes and it's your time to go they know that you lived your life to the fullest and didn't sit around feeling sorry for yourself all the time.
    No, he wouldn't want me to cry all day. Such wise words. THANK YOU!
  • DisappearingActs: - love the images you posted. Will copy them for my FB page! Thank you so much. You are right, I can do this! And I will finish what I started!!
    LockitUp - I will just go - I will. First thing in the morning I have plans to meet a friend at the gym. I'm doing it. Thanks for the advice!!
    Time2Lose - I'm so sorry for your loss. Everyone tells me this is my "new normal" - I'm glad your dad was proud of you and I send hugs your way for your loss.
    JenJulia - I'm sorry about your injury! Ouch! I'm having such a pity party for myself. You gave great tips! Thank you SO very much!!!
    kellyb - thanks for the faith - I do hope once I start that I'll keep it up! Thank you so much!
  • We expect that you will report here after your successful trip to the gym! Or, at worst, to explain if something goes wrong. In that case, we expect to hear about the new commitment. Sometimes, it's easier to do it than explain why you haven't. :-)