Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #1  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Unrealistic Goal

Has anyone else set an unrealistic goal weight?

I have...

Now with that being said, it's not that it isn't achievable... I actually think that it's definitely "doable"...

I didn't pull this "magic" number out of thin air or anything like that... It's actually what I weighed in college... and it wasn't a struggle at all, because I didn't have issues with being "overweight" until recently... So I've said to myself why shouldn't I be around the same weight as I was back then...

I'm just not sure how I feel about giving up on ever being that weight again in order to be more "realistic"

So I'm sure there lots of people here that had to face this too... How did you handle it? Did you just go for it? Or maybe do something in between...? Or do something completely different...?
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 191/149/135

Height: 5'8

Yes--we are similar heights and weights (I'm 5"8.5 and 166 lbs) my goal weight is 130 but out of concern that it is unrealistic for me, my official goal is 140. I haven't been 130 since the sixth grade so I have a fear I'll never see that again. Even 140 seems tough. My weight loss has slowed to 1 lb a week so it feels like it will take forever!

I should say-the reason why I chose 140 is because it feels more achievable, possible, and manageable. If I can get to the 130s then that would be amazing but I won't beat myself up over it if I don't get there. 140 would be wonderful.

Last edited by Mer du Japon; 09-07-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Mer du Japon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #3  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

i actually read somewhere that women who shoot for more "unrealistic" goals keep with it longer.

that being said, 125 at your height seems very borderline underweight.

but, you're a grownup so your goal weight is your choice!

also, congrats on your huge loss so far!

Last edited by juliastl27; 09-07-2012 at 12:06 AM.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #4  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

I can't even fathom being 125 and I am an inch and a half shorter than you. That is the absolute lowest healthy weight according to BMI. Why not aim for a little higher than that because of your beautifully toned lean muscle?

Honestly, go until you are happy with the way you look. You are already a healthy weight, so stop when you want to. It is all about the way you look and feel, not the number on the scale. Maybe it is time to make fitness goals instead of weight loss goals?
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

5'9" and 125 is not impossible, if you have that body type, but might not be realistic.

Currently, I'm 53 years old, 5'5" and 138 and I look dang good and I"m happy with my body.

Yes, I could shave of a few more pounds, but I'm not worried about it.

I have maintained this weight for a year now, So maintaining is more important to me than those last few vanity pounds.

My Doc, is happy with my weight and all of my other numbers, so I'm good with it!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #6  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

I picked a target weight based on my age and height and what the average for that is. I didn't really pay attention to my weight when I was younger, so I have no idea the last time I was at that weight. If, on the way, I find that my weight it acceptable, and isn't 120, then I'll ease up on weight loss a bit and just worry about maintaining.
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #7  
SE Asia, baby

S/C/G: 232/141/132

Height: 5'5

I can definitely relate. My UGW as posted on my ticker is 132. I picked that mostly because it's 100 lbs less than where I started. However, at 5'4 and with a smaller and what I'd consider a pretty muscular body type, I think I'll look even better between 120-125. I'd love to get down there, but it's also admittedly going to be vanity pounds! :-)
graciegoose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Here is a 5'9" woman who weighs 145.

You're much better off focusing on body fat percentage and not weight.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 82.2/78.5/64

Height: 176

I've had similar issues to you (wanting to look model thin) but I've learnt to get passed them. I'm also 5'9", and when I was a teenager I wanted to be 120 pounds. When I got older I decided on 130 which was a bit more realistic. Recently my goal weight went up to 140, which I think is far more realistic for my body type. My sister is around 140 pounds, and she's got a gorgeous body, so there's really no need to go below that.
AmyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #10  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Since I'm up as well and about your height, I thought I'd add my experience to the mix. For me, I have been 137 lbs. once in my life and I was extremely thin and unhealthy because I was starving myself. The best weight for me is somewhere around 140 but I was recently at 143 and I must admit I looked good at that weight. I was happy but still striving for thinner. Then I took some migraine meds that made me put the weight on again and I'd be thrilled to ever get back down to even 150. I guess I'm not making much sense (sleep deprivation) but really I'm trying to say that it's best to be grateful for good health and to feel good in your own skin rather than live up to some ideal. Also, if it makes any difference, my husband likes for me to weigh around 150 cuz he likes a bit more junk in my trunk.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #11  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredKestrel View Post
Thanks... those are some abs...! I actually think it would be a lot harder to get that sort of definition than to get down the 20lbs. from there...
This. I'm an advocate of heavy weight training, but a lot of times these pictures and the advice to focus on body composition get thrown around casually, as though this is easier than losing weight. (I'm quite sure that JohnP personally doesn't intend to suggest that it is easier, just that it is better/healthier. I'm just being the Debbie Downer who points out that this process is a much longer, more difficult one than simply losing fat.)

I didn't know if I'd be able to reach my goal weight of 120, which is what I weighed in high school. I have found it to be surprisingly easy, though. I don't have any food issues to speak of; I gained weight because I ate out too much and didn't care about my weight or fitness. But each weight loss journey is individual.

I look fine at 120 because I don't carry much muscle mass (more than when I started losing weight in July 2010--I was very overfat at the beginning--but not much), so I'm not overly thin. I am committed to putting on more muscle mass over the long haul, but it is a long, long (and personally, frustrating) process.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Some people have suggested that my goal (and current) weight of 140 lbs is unrealistic for a height of 5'11" and age 55, but I've been maintaining without undue struggle for close to a year now. If I had to severely restrict calories to maintain this weight, I would certainly reconsider, but that hasn't happened. I eat about 2,000 calories a day and exercise 2-3 hours per week.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #13  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

My numbers have always been high for my height - mainly because of muscle. So when a doctor says I should be 125 ... well, that's not gonna happen unless I look like a scrawny twig. I've decided that when I look in the mirror naked and go "YEP - that's it!" Then I've hit my goal. No numbers!!!!!
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #14  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Oh - and I'm only 5' 4"
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #15  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I'm 5'9 and about 4 years ago I was 137/138. I was lifting heavy weights and I was really lean--I was wearing size 6es and some of my tops were smalls (this despite always large boobs). I can't imagine getting down to 120 and still being able to hold my head up!

Still, bodies are different and you might wind up having a body like Freelancemomma. But I fully agree with John that at a certain point, body fat is far more important than scale weight. The point is to look and feel good, right, not to win points with the scale gods?!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote