3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Last Straw (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/26577-last-straw.html)

wundawoman 04-11-2003 04:32 PM

Last Straw

I've been back on the "change of lifestyle" wagon (gofferbid I say "diet") for the past three weeks. I've been recording what I'm eating (a balanced diet between 1200 and 1300 calories), upping my water, upping my exercise and increasing my weight training, and guess what?! I haven't lost a damn thing, except three weeks of my life. Meanwhile, a co-worker who's on a crazy fad diet and doing lazy gal exercises (only about 20 min. of aerobics 3 times a week and light weights twice a week) has lost a ton of weight and 11 inches in the same time. What gives? It's not like I have only 5 to 10 lbs. to lose. More like 25. I've run out of patience and I'm trying my darndest to hold back my tears and temper.

How do I keep going? Seems I running faster and faster to stay in one place.

Suzanne 3FC 04-11-2003 10:07 PM

You might not be eating enough. The metabolism will slow down so you burn less calories if you don't consume enough. It goes into starvation mode and tries to conserve energy. While 1200 calories isn't exactly starvation, and at one point it was the recommended guideline for diets, every body is different and some people need more. Many sources now recommend 1600 calories. If you work out a lot, you might even need more than that. Try not to compare your progress with your friend, since your bodies can be very different.

Some people boost their metabolism by eating 5 or 6 mini-meals instead of 3 regular meals, or including small snacks throughout the day.

What type of diet program are you following?

Btw, your friend will probably gain her weight back, if she has lost it that quickly. The experts say to aim for 1 to 2 pounds per week, for safe and permanent weight loss. Some people lose more or less. There are also a lot of health conditions which can affect the rate at which we lose.

Aradia 04-12-2003 08:46 AM

You mentioned you were doing Weight Training. Remember muscle weighs more than fat. Also, ask yourself these questions, how do you feel? How is your energy level? Do you find yourself more and more picking out healthy things like you decide to walk short distances instead of riding in a car. Well these are all winning outcomes. Keep up your healthy life style and I promise you will see those goals you want.

RavenToy 04-12-2003 09:13 AM

I second the weight training gain perspective. I knew when I started lifting this would be an issue, and that's one reason I had my boyfriend hide the scale. I don't want to discourage myself from doing what I KNOW is right. I put on a tremendous amount of weight immediately when I start lifting. My whole body seems to react and I really do have the muscular physique. It's a curse and a blessing. I would seriously suggest you start taking measurements, and take a before pic. Weigh if you want. Then keep on doing what you're doing. Eat right, weight train, do everything - then in a month or so, take your measurements again. I think you might be surprised. That is a far better gauge of what is happening with your body than numbers alone. Please don't get discouraged, please don't quit. Experiment with the caloric intake, or balance of carbs and protien, but don't quit!!

:grouphug: