Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #16  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityDiva View Post
Wow about the fitness levels. Unfortunately my mom's side does fit all those generalizations as does most of my dad's and all of my inlaws. I think one of the reasons I am SO dedicated (aside from being in pain from the weight) was because I didn't want us to retire and then have to sit at home or be close to a medical center at all time due to health issues. I do realize aging happens, but heck what good is a retirement if you just sit around the house all the time? Boring if you ask me. I want to travel. I don't like tour groups generally, so hopefully I will be a walker even then
These are super generalizations, of course, but I really paid close attention and was shocked really and could see what path I wanted to take, for sure!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

LOL I know they are super generalizations, but for *me* it keeps me focused (really seeing my future as my mom or my stepmom--which is basically unhealthy and immobile versus healthy and mobile) keeps me going.
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #18  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityDiva View Post
LOL I know they are super generalizations, but for *me* it keeps me focused (really seeing my future as my mom or my stepmom--which is basically unhealthy and immobile versus healthy and mobile) keeps me going.
Me too. Though it took beginning to experience the "bad stuff" to really get my act together! Fortunately, I got it together before any permanent damage was done to my health. If loose skin is the biggest price I pay, I was lucky.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #19  

I hope that's my only price too. Right now I have plantar fasciitis, but my myofascial spasms and pain have improved I'd say 80% and I'm LESS than half there. I do credit yoga for it BUT diet too because I think, no I know, sugar causes me to get icky feeling and I also know the extra weight made things VERY difficult. It was pathetic to watch my first few months to a year of serious working out...probably should have put it on America's Funniest

I'm just praying the days of taking my daughter to the mall and being worn out for 2-3 days after stay behind me. We want to go to Disney the year after next and I'm hoping I won't be the one "too tired" to walk...right now that'd be DH
Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #20  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Very very interesting post, I read it all and was impressed with your observations, Melissa! Agree 100% with your findings...fitness is what will allow us to enjoy an active life well into our 70's, I hope!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I am going to be 70 in a couple of weeks. About five years ago I lost weight and got into pretty good physical shape, but soon tired of the routine. I have done this lots of times, unfortunately, and it has always been easy to get back in shape and lose weight. This time it is not so easy. I was shocked that I couldn't get back up to a decent speed and distance of walking with in a few days. I always could before. So, take heed of what Melissa says.

Before I started trying to lose weight and get in shape, I went on vacation with one of my sons and his family. We did a lot of walking and I was deeply embarrassed and ashamed that I couldn't keep up with them. In some places where there were stairs down to the beach, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back up the stairs from weakness or that I might have a heart attack. It was very sad.

So, do not think that you are invincible like I did. I am feeling much better now that I have improved my diet and started exercising again. Even though I have only lost about 20 lbs, I think I would not have to be afraid of those stairs, now. I may not be as fast as the younger folks, but I believe I could do it.

Traveling while obese really made me think about what kind of future I was facing. So, thanks, Melissa for the interesting post. You provide inspiration for all of us.

Last edited by gailr42; 08-16-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: clarity
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #22  

I am 42 and have lived in Sweden for most of my adult life. I have traveled Europe since I was 20 and YES, people are more overweight in Europe than ever before. Here, the fast food scene is taking over by storm. People still walk and bike a lot, but less than before. Another thing that is very common now is SODA/POP.

Last edited by kelleyb; 08-16-2012 at 05:11 PM.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #23  
Melissa

Just added the 4th observation from vacation in the original post on page one.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #24  

Interesting about the tanning and smoking as I've noticed similar things when I moved FROM California (where you'd think people would be tanning) TO the South. I was raised on sun screen for the most part and my parents were/are very judgemental about smoking (that would be a sin in my family of origin). I never did it and amazingly apparently had no friends that really did, so it wasn't an issue. I have a lot of opinions on both matters, but I'll shut up.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #25  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

"Vices are fun" probably explains why people do short-term unhealthy things in pursuit of leisure. It tastes good now. I like being high. Smoking is fun over drinks. I want everyone to know I went to the beach when I go into work on Monday.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #26  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

That's why I love Europe... People enjoy life.... They go on holiday, they eat, they drink, they smoke, they sun bathe, they go topless... They live their lives the way they want to and have a good time... Who are we to judge? I mean why should we care? Is it because we feel we know what's best?

Or is it perhaps because we lack a sense of control in our own lives that we seek to remedy by being overly ridged and dogmatic with our own diets and exercise regimes and whatever else in order to achieve some imagined ideal of a "healthy lifestyle"?

People are like mirrors... When we see something in them we don't like... We have to ask ourselves what is it that we don't like in ourselves...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #27  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I think we judge others based on our own experience and knowledge. For those of us who have been obese, it's hard to watch other populations adopting the same eating patterns and results that got us into trouble. Same thing if you or a loved one developed skin cancer from sun exposure, lung cancer from smoking, or liver disease from too much alcohol. We don't want to repeat those mistakes or see others repeat them.

What would be really interesting is to also hear about a foreigner's observations on American behavior. I wonder if there are some standard health dos and donts that are common in Europe or elsewhere that we are unaware of or don't follow in America?
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #28  
Melissa

Last of my observations added to the first post.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #29  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm such a people watcher too, so it's interesting reading your new observations. I'm on the last day of my own short vacation right now, and noticed the variety of body types out here. last time I was in Europe I did the same thing, but that was four years ago: it's interesting to see the weight creep hitting them too.

On my vacation, as is the American way we are surrounded by crap food. I've reigned myself in well, but it seems that white flour just isn't my cup of tea anymore. Actually except for some whole wheat stuff here and there I just don't eat bread anymore either. I just felt bloated yesterday evening and have to attribute it the pizza hut I had Thursday and the gyro (and thus the pita bread) I had yesterday. Otherwise it's been all good stuff because at least all of these places serve grilled chicken salads and I brought eggs for the mornings.

There are quite a lot of super fit looking people here (all around my age) but it's the jersey shore. I guess that's to be expected.

Last edited by sontaikle; 08-18-2012 at 08:47 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #30  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Melissa, thanks for making time to post all this. It's very enlightening!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote