3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Helpful suggestion to keep from snacking (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/264497-helpful-suggestion-keep-snacking.html)

tricon7 08-13-2012 09:03 AM

Helpful suggestion to keep from snacking

I've found a way to keep myself from snacking, particularly before bedtime. I just tell myself that even if I did eat that "X" that I'm drooling over, I could eat it and still be just as hungry as I am right now, so why not just not start? It pretty much works for me every time.

joyc21 08-13-2012 03:16 PM

I find that chewing gum and drinking tea helps me curve the urge to snack unnecessarily. Or just keeping busy in general......At night time when I have the urge to snack eventhough I know I'm not really hungry, I just avoid the kitchen.

shcirerf 08-14-2012 12:14 AM

In the summer, I'm to busy in the garden to snack, in the winter, I crochet, afghans, dog toys, stuffed animals for my grandkids, etc. Keeps my hands busy!

unsketched 08-14-2012 12:19 AM

I always wanted to snack when I got home from work - going to the gym after work has really curbed the habit for me.

I still have problems not snacking at the movies though, or oddly as I'm cooking dinner.

carter 08-14-2012 06:48 AM

The only thing that keeps me from late night binging is to stay out of the kitchen entirely - I have to exercise raw will. At my best I can get my kitchen chores done right after dinner and have no reason to go back into the kitchen later in the evening - then I will be fine. If I put them off until before bed, when I am tired, my resolve becomes very weak and I am much more likely to binge on anything i can find in the kitchen.

I've been struggling with this on and off lately and it's slowing me down because I have so little left to lose. I really just have to stay the heck out of the kitchen and I seem to be okay.

KatMarie 08-14-2012 07:28 AM

I have a good snack before bed. It keeps me from snacking all evening if I'm sitting watching tv...I just tell myself to wait for my bedtime snack. I look forward to my greek yogurt with a piece of fresh fruit cut up in it...plus I like to go to bed with something in my tummy.

graciegoose13 08-14-2012 09:23 AM

my new favorite one is to paint my nails. i'm progressively getting better at painting my non dominate hand and waiting for the nails to dry keeps my hands out of the chips bag, for sure!

(rocking cq's tahitian green right now!)

OnaMi 08-14-2012 11:20 AM

I'm with you Kat,I think a lot about my planed snack for the night and that seems to help me.

SerenityDiva 08-14-2012 11:35 AM

Gracie you got better? I do tea (gum messes with my TMJ) and I keep wanting to paint my nails, but they look terrible when I'm done. I might just start again reading this. Thank you!

tricon7 08-14-2012 02:35 PM

I forgot - once I've eaten my last bit of calories for the day, I go brush my teeth. I'm less likey to eat again after that.

Slush 08-14-2012 04:43 PM

I was talking to my mom about this last night and she said to find the hottest guy I can (celebrity or whoever) and look at his amazing abs, body, whatever when I want to snack late at night. She said just drooling over him will help me forget about wanting to eat, hahahaha. I'm gonna try it. Go mom.

caryesings 08-14-2012 07:01 PM

On a related note, I used to think about a hot guy I knew to get myself to do "5 minutes more" when I'd want to stop exercising, fantasizing that he was the one making me sweat...

luckystreak 08-14-2012 07:39 PM

Am i the only one who gets super hungry as soon as i finish drinking tea? I feel like the water flushes everything out and Im starvving.

carter 08-14-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caryesings (Post 4437763)
On a related note, I used to think about a hot guy I knew to get myself to do "5 minutes more" when I'd want to stop exercising, fantasizing that he was the one making me sweat...

I love this. :carrot: I probably shouldn't admit this in public, but I sometimes imagine a woman I have a crush on is watching me lift ... :o

mimsyborogoves 08-14-2012 08:54 PM

Lol I was totally going to suggest the gum &/or a beverage thing too. I've discovered that gum is the best thing ever when you need something to take the edge off cravings and right before meal hunger.