3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Why am I so bloated? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/263990-why-am-i-so-bloated.html)

kelly315 08-02-2012 06:46 PM

Why am I so bloated?

I know it's slightly gross, but I thought maybe there was someone out there experiencing the same thing.

Some days, my stomach swells a great deal- I've gained as much as five inches. Trouble is, I have no idea why I would be so bloated. Fiber might do it, but I'm not eating that much fiber (about enough). And if it was just water, I think it would show on the scale.

Help! Any ideas?

pinkpendant 08-02-2012 07:26 PM

Usually I feel bloated when I've had too many carbs.. Maybe try lowering your carb intake a bit, and see if that helps?

Also, some foods (like beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, sprouts, onions and garlic) are known to cause bloating, so you might want to make sure that you're not overconsuming these foods either.. Other than that, I'd suggest drinking plenty of water and (gradually) increasing the amount of fiber rich foods :) hope that helps!

ValRock 08-02-2012 07:31 PM

What have you been eating? It's hard to know without knowing what your diet is like.

scout83 08-02-2012 07:51 PM

I was recently visibly bloated for a few days. It ended up being a terrrrrible stomach virus. :( Does your stomach hurt? If it does and if it's an option, you might consider a trip to the doctor.

kelly315 08-02-2012 09:49 PM

No, it doesn't actually hurt- it's just uncomfortable. As far as what I'm eating- nothing bizarre. E.g. some salad with nuts and cheese, salsa and rice crackers, Amy's frozen meals (tortilla with black beans-yum), some sushi, a bit of indian food. I'm wondering if it's maybe either dairy or carbs, but I eat those regularly and don't know if I've ever been quite so puffy.

Prim2012 08-02-2012 10:05 PM

Hmm. There could be many reasons. Sudden bloating is a common symptom for IBS which can be irritated when eating healthy foods like fresh fruit, nuts and seeds because of the way they ferment in the body.

mackinac19 08-03-2012 09:24 AM

I had a friend in a similar situation. She experienced stomach bloating and discomfort for no apparent reason (ie, with many kinds of foods, even ones that are not supposed to cause bloating). She was ultimately diagnosed with an H. pylori infection. H. pylori is a very common stomach bacterium that can cause some people digestive issues, such as bloating, nausea, and even (if untreated for a long time) ulcers. My friend went on a course of antibiotics and has had NO bloating since then. Anyway, I suggest you google "H. pylori" and see if it sounds like it might apply in your case. Good luck!