How to measure?????

• Not sure exactly where to post this but I'm hoping people will see it. This may sound ridiculous but can someone explain how to take measurements? Your waist I believe is your narrowest point, but what about your Hips? I mean...do you do your hips under the belly roll, or over it? Haha
    It may sound dumb but when you look online they give you these stupid cartoon people diagrams who aren't fat at all and it just leaves me wondering what the proper way to measure is. I am SO confused.
  • Haha Low I always measure my waist above my belly button about an inch up. Lol I do measure my hips under the lol!! belly roll as well, or I just put my fingers on my hip bone and measure my hips where I feel the bone!
    I hope this helps. YouTube has great videos on measurements.
  • THANK YOU!!! I was REALLY feeling dumb lol
  • The hip measurement is widest part across the middle of your butt, with your legs slightly apart. For me, that's a couple of inches below my hip bones (and well away from my stomach).

The usual waist measurement comes from the narrowest part of your waist, wherever that is--a couple of inches above the belly button on me. Because I carry plenty of fat on my tummy and want to measure it, I also do an extra measurement around the widest part of my stomach as well.
  • There is no reason you should be feeling dumb. I too had difficulties with measurements when I started dieting and losing weight. I guess that's pretty normal.

I asked a friend of mine this question once and she taught me what her fitness trainer taught her--which is to take the measurement well below my rear end or wherever the widest point lies. Actually, the right way to measure the hips varies from person to person. But for us who store excess weight in our hips, taking our measurement around the largest part of our buttocks is the right way to go. It would also be best to try to do it in front of a mirror to make sure that the tape is level all the way around.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks! I'm trying to find out what pants size I am now haha since everything is different I don't want to go try on a billion pairs of pants haha