3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Finding a healthy lunch? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/263327-finding-healthy-lunch.html)

SamanthaAngela 07-23-2012 02:57 AM

Finding a healthy lunch?

I work a lot, and I mean a LOT so I always grab my lunch from the place I work at-- there isn't a shortage of choices, because I work at a well known retail grocery store (rhymes with shmall-tart, ;)). Anyway I'm not sure what kind of food I should be picking up that's healthy, that will keep me awake and alert for the rest of my shift, which is usually 4-5 hours. I find myself getting really tired just a couple hours into my shift, not really sure why.

I love vegetables, except salad greens, (raw) squash, and mushrooms, so salads aren't really the best choice for me. But since I usually grab a microwave meal like ramen or chef boyardee products, I'm sure there are other alternatives that are better, and aren't salad. Also, and I know this is bad, but I snack sometimes, because I don't usually have time to eat before I leave the house and I end up grabbing candy at work... whats a good non-perishable snack to keep on you that fights hunger AND gives you a wake up boost?

Any ideas?

P.S. Sorry for rambling on x.x Thank you to anyone who can help and takes the time to read my gibberish!!

asharksrevenge 07-23-2012 03:38 AM

Hi Samantha! It sounds like you are dealing with some blood sugar issues that are making you tired. Do you notice that you get tired after eating a meal high in carbs, like noodles? I suggest a lower-carb diet that is high in protein, dark, leafy greens, veggies and some fruits (which fruits affect your blood sugar and make you tired or give you that sugar rush you're currently getting from candy should be avoided). There's nothing wrong with snacking--in fact, you may need to eat a few more times than you are used to to keep your body in check while you're working. I suggest eating a handful or two of mixed nuts combined with a fruit as a snack. The protein in the nuts will balance out the sugar in the fruit and won't give you a sugar spike but will help keep your body moving. Celery and peanut butter (all natural) do the same thing.

As for lunches, if you don't like salad, how about a lean turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, with all the veggie fixings? How about some soup, as long as it's low sodium (check the labels)? Do you like eggs? They are great for you and can be taken to work from your home already prepared. I've only suggested a few ideas, as others will hopefully chime in with more, but there are lots of great lunches and small meals/snacks that you can incorporate into your diet to make it healthy, keep your body moving through work and beyond, and avoid candy or poor diet choices throughout the day. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

envelope 07-23-2012 08:38 AM

asharksrevenge has made some great suggestions! For those days when you are at work and need to grab a quick meal to microwave, you should try the lean cuisine meals, my favorites are the cheese ravioli and the santa fe black beans and rice. You could create your own meal with vegis from the night before, or throw some frozen vegis in a microwaveable container, a protein...chicken, turkey, yogurt, cheese stick etc., add a whole grain ....heck even a granolla bar (Cascadian Farms granolla bars ROCK and are a great price where you work) maybe even a piece of fruit or no sugar added applesauce.
Snacks - well yogurt is my favorite snack, but you asked for non parishable. granolla bars, BelVita bars, pretzel sticks, an apple, they options are limitless! I like to keep some granolla bars or BelVita bars in my car, then I have them if I need one.

Also, try getting a few sips of water at the drinking fountain. It is wild, but sometimes we think we are tired or hungry and we are dehydrated.

DietVet 07-23-2012 10:42 AM

I work in an office with a fridge and microwave, and I don't know if your employer has those things available, so ymmv, but I have delicious healthy SOUP for lunch every day. I make huge batches of soup with tons of veggies, beans, and usually some chicken, and then I freeze them in those individual 2 cup containers. I never have to think about lunch at work because I always have a soup that I can nuke and enjoy. All the veggies and beans mean that I am full and happy and healthy.

My favorite go-to lunch soup is one that I call mexi-chicken. I add chipotles in with the veg, use black beans, and finish with chicken breast and chili powder (plus cumin, coriander, etc). Often corn, too. It's delicious and comes in about 300 cals a serving.

LaurieDawn 07-23-2012 10:54 AM

I'm a simple girl, and just bought my lunch from the grocery store this morning. I bought a salmon packet, fresh berries and sugar snap peas. It will be my lunch and snacks. No need to even heat anything up. I also buy the fresh spinach and top it with the ready-prepared chicken sometimes.

maezy1 07-23-2012 11:22 AM

Yogurt and protein bars are also good choices BUT make sure the protein bar has less than 20 grams of carbs or all u are getting is a carb bar. My dr has recommended those for my mid day slump which I get at 3pm regardless of what I eat! AND I get my bars at shmall-tart! I also eat low cal cheese stick - 1. I make my lunch the night before. Its been hard and I have used every excuse - I dont have time, nothing int he house that I want, but once I put my mind into it I found that I could figure this out. I made the 7 bean soup and put it in the refrig and I love it! BEans have a lot of protein.
And thx to everyone that responded for the great lunch ideas!

SamanthaAngela 07-23-2012 11:48 AM

Wow! I have heard so many amazing ideas I've just got to try out now!! Thanks envelope for all the different snack ideas, and to everyone else for the interesting, not to mention delicious sounding, lunch ideas! I'll be trying one out today :)

Thank you thank you thank you!

Only Me 07-23-2012 11:53 AM

If you want something quick and easy and portable, what about a hard boiled egg or two, some baby carrots or grape tomatoes, and some fruit. Throw in some whole grain crackers if you like.

MOLE 07-23-2012 12:40 PM

That place you work has these AMAZING turkey/deli meat wraps near the deli section that are GREAT!!!

gailr42 07-23-2012 01:24 PM

I second Lean Cuisine. I have suddenly gotten hungry at our local non-super Fall-Wart and have found plenty of healthy things to eat there. You need to take the time to read the labels. They have yogurt, string cheese, no-sugar added applesauce as well as Lean Cuisine. It seems to me that I might even have seen hardboiled eggs there. I know I saw them somewhere I didn't expect them to be.

Some of this stuff may not be "Whole Foods" approved, but they are wholesome and nutritious and with a busy life like you have, I think these are good choices.

ringmaster 07-23-2012 01:38 PM

I'd also suggest just soup or a sandwich/wrap or maybe some vegetables and protein. For sandwiches I like to use ezekiel bread or flat out wraps since they have more fiber and protein and keep me fuller longer. Lately I've been on a hummus kick (since I bought a bunch when it was on sale for $1) and I've been putting it on sandwiches instead of cheese and it's really good and something different. vegetables and hummus are also good for a snack.

Munchy 07-23-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DietVet (Post 4413779)
I work in an office with a fridge and microwave, and I don't know if your employer has those things available, so ymmv, but I have delicious healthy SOUP for lunch every day. I make huge batches of soup with tons of veggies, beans, and usually some chicken, and then I freeze them in those individual 2 cup containers. I never have to think about lunch at work because I always have a soup that I can nuke and enjoy. All the veggies and beans mean that I am full and happy and healthy.

I do the same thing (cook/freeze), but in one cup containers. My go-to soups are carrot/peanut, curry lentil, chicken lentil, split pea, spicy tomato blue cheese, roasted broccoli, and I often do a turkey or veggie chili and freeze that in portions as well.

alaskanlaughter 07-23-2012 09:34 PM

i buy alot of my food at that same store ;) i eat alot of the steamer veggies for lunch...i also like the packets of cut up veggies/dip from the veggie section, and jerky, fruit, nuts, string cheese as well...i tend to nibble my way through the day, and large meals dont sit well with me, so i like to eat little bits every couple hours

shcirerf 07-24-2012 12:16 AM

Your shift is only 4-5 hours and you work in a place with anything and everything available!

I'll trade you my 10 hours a day and bring your own, or don't have it job!:D

SamanthaAngela 07-25-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shcirerf (Post 4414665)
Your shift is only 4-5 hours and you work in a place with anything and everything available!

I'll trade you my 10 hours a day and bring your own, or don't have it job!:D

Ha! That sounds like an ordeal. Actually I meant I have 4-5 hours after my lunch period. My work days are usually between 8-10 hours long :). But I'd help ya out if I could!! :)

On another note, I noticed the lean cuisines we carry, and I noticed the "Healthy Choice" meals right next to them. When I compared the two nutritionally, the Healthy Choice meals were actually a lower calorie count, higher fiber, and less sodium. I was pretty surprised! Needless to say I tried out a Garlic Shrimp meal ( steamed with asparagus and yellow squash, with whole wheat noodles) and it was delicious for only a 1.50. What surprised me the most was I add salt and pepper to everything, and for once it felt like I didn't need to add anything to it.. so whee! I recommend trying them, they are the perfect portion size, with healthy ingredients, and you definitely can't beat the price!