Over eating

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi all! I want to be able to eat regular food every now and then, but I am afraid that I will over do it. How do you all keep yourselves from overeating? For instance, maybe once in a while (like once a month) I would like to be able to eat a slice of pizza. How do I keep myself from overeating? Thank you all!
  • Stop at one if you only intend to have one. How does anyone stop from overeating anything? Another case of simple but not easy.
  • That's a tough one, and krampus really summed it up perfectly. It's all about self control (which I am severely lacking). The concept is easy enough... it's just implementing it. I currently follow the Weight Watchers program, which I found helpful in this area because I can still eat 'normal' foods. And I find that because I'm not restricted in what I can eat, I'm less inclined to go overboard.
  • I portion out meals like this. Know ahead of time you will have one piece and enjoy it!
  • Thank you all!! I am always hoping for a simple "fix"....but just got to do it the hard way...self control....i have so little self control...
  • You can go to a place that has pizza by the slice and only buy one slice.

You can order a large salad and eat it first, letting other people at the table eat up most of the pizza, and only take a slice of pizza when there is one slice left.

You can stuff all but one slice down the garbage disposal.

Those are a few tactics you can try, to control your environment so that making the best choice is a little easier. But, as others said in this thread, ultimately you have to make the choice yourself. Say "no!" to your inner five-year-old!
  • Krampus and the other gals hit it head on. I find, too, that if I pause between each bite and assess how hungry or full I am (which is what is required if I am eating mindfully and listening to my cues) that not only does the slice take longer to eat, I become satisfied much sooner than if I was ignoring cues and just focusing on the flavor and more and more of it.
  • Plan out your reasonable portion ahead of time, before you feel hungry and before your emotions can take over. And once it's time to eat, stick to your decision. Don't allow yourself any other options, don't justify eating more by telling yourself "maybe just this once," and consider how your decision will make you feel once you've completed your meal. How will you feel an hour later? What about the next day? Will looking back a week from now leave you feeling satisfied or will you regret how your decisions are affecting your health?

Does anyone ever say, "Oh, my jeans are way too tight, but all the overeating I've been doing is worth it!" Not saying that one should never have treats, but we all have temptations that we have to learn to deal with and we have to know when to be able to say yes or no. I've been doing the above for so long now that it's almost become automatic.
  • Another thing that I'm working on myself is just slowing down and really taking time to chew eat bite, appreciate the flavors and textures, and enjoy the food. When it comes to something "normal" as you put it (like pizza or a square of dark chocolate for me) I find that the trick has really been to fill up on healthier foods first and then enjoy the "naughty" food once my hunger has been taken care of. That way, I'm not rushing through it and it's easier to savor it.
  • Quote: Another thing that I'm working on myself is just slowing down and really taking time to chew eat bite, appreciate the flavors and textures, and enjoy the food.
    This! Savoring the food really helps me stop at a reasonable amount. You don't need to eat 123523 pieces of something tasty. The last piece will taste the same as the first.
  • Quote: This! Savoring the food really helps me stop at a reasonable amount. You don't need to eat 123523 pieces of something tasty. The last piece will taste the same as the first.
    THIS, exactly! I remind myself that eating something until I hurt doesn't make it taste any better. The first bite is always the best one.
  • Quote: This! Savoring the food really helps me stop at a reasonable amount. You don't need to eat 123523 pieces of something tasty. The last piece will taste the same as the first.
    S strikes again with good advice! Lol I was, and still am, SUCH a fast eater! I'm slowly trying to break myself of that, but when I am having that lone slice of pizza, I really do slow down and enjoy it. It helps!
  • I do as someone else mentioned and just buy foods like that individually rather than having several portions available at home. But I cycle my calories, too, which allows me to have more than one of a calorie-ridden treat. Pizza is so high in calories, though, (I estimate about 700 per slice for NY Style), that I still limit it to two slices if I have it for dinner.
  • Pair it with something that's low in calories but will fill you up, and alternate between a bite of each. More importantly, when you're having a treat always choose quality over quantity. So in keeping with the pizza example, have freshly baked pizza from a nice restaurant rather than mundane delivery pizza. It will satisfy the craving much better! And don't try to pick a "healthy" version—find the tastiest specimen you can find and really enjoy it.
  • If I want something, I tell myself that I can have it if I bike the furthest reasonable distance to get it...so not the 7-11 a kilometer away...not the one 3 km away...the one 5 km away. I go there, buy a single portion, and ride home to eat it (unless it's frozen, in which case I eat it in the parking lot in sight of the cashier so I would feel super awkward going back in and buying another). This way I have minimal access to my junk and I'm probably burning more calories to get it than I'm actually consuming.