Where do you measure your "waist"

• I have always measured around the largest portion of my belly - near the belly button. But when I look at sizing charts my waist seems too large for the size I think I should be going into Granted i could just try them on - but I as curious where should we measure our waist exactly? thanks!
  • Waist is usually the smallest point. It's different for everyone...mine is quite high. Belly is a different measurement.
  • Your "waist" is defined as the narrowest part of your midsection, whereas the area you are measuring (around your belly button) is generally referred to as your "abdominal circumference".
  • That's sort of what I was thinking, but wonder why the sizing charts include the smallest part of the waist because nobody wears pants that high! LOL, they button or zip or snap around that "abdonimal circumference" - go figure. Well, the good news it that I see a size 16 in my near future....least I hope before summer is over! thanks!
  • I usually take two measurements- the smallest part of my waist (the natural waist) which is just below the ribs on me, and the largest (about two inches below my bb).
  • As far as size charts are concerned, I've noticed that a lot of them are telling you to bend to the side and find your "natural crease", and that is where your "natural waist" sits. Mine's about dead center of my torso. I also measure around my belly button, too, but I use that smaller measurement for my waist, lol. It's usually about an inch or two difference though.