Walk 28 miles to burn off 1 milkshake?!

• Sigh!! It's kind of depressing HOW MUCH exercise it takes to burn off weight, and how little food it takes to gain.

I found an article that says women, on average, burn 105 calories a mile running, and 74 calories walking. BUT that's inflated by the calories you would have used anyway just sitting there. The NET calories burned running are 91 a mile running, or 43 calories walking.

THEN I did the math for my actual weight. (Running nets you .53 calories per mile x your weight; walking nets .3 x weight.) My actual extra burn is 58.3 calories per mile that I run, and an extra 33 calories for every mile that I walk. So to burn off a 16 oz McFlurry (930 calories), I'd need to walk 28 miles, or run 16. BIG sigh!!
  • I can't believe there's that many calories in a shake to begin with. But no worries, just don't eat it. lol I've pretty much mentally blocked out any food that would ruin my figure. I don't rely on exercise, I just focus on having a pretty healthy diet. I'm sure deep deep down somewhere I love sweets and all that, but I just think of all the complications that come with it... or don't think about it at all. Seriously, there are whole isles at the grocery store I don't even go down just out of habit. It's a crazy world where we have such fattening foods shoved at us as if it's normal. YOU'RE in the right for not partaking in that nonsense. The more you practice your right to be healthy, the more all the unhealthy food just disappears. There was a time when I would have been devastated to think I'd never get to eat certain foods, but now I'm pretty content with it.
  • Sounds about right!!! Milkshakes are AWFUL. I've seen calorie counts on some close to 2k. Walk away from the milkshake, not worth it!
  • Ya, definitely not worth having to run over a half marathon or walk over a full marathon just for a milkshake!
  • Or you can make an alternative with less calories...! I'll admit I'm vegan so I don't remember what a milkshake tastes like... lol but I think my protein shakes are pretty shakey. Unsweetened soymilk is about 35 calories a cup, so I just fill half with ice, then add sweetener, vanilla protein powder (chocolate might work great,) and instant coffee or whatever spices I want (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.) I normally just use water, so it varies between 140-200ish calories for a 16oz shake. Pretty tasty and nutritious too!
  • You can't out exercise poor eating - no matter how hard you try.

Lin
  • That is absolutely CRAZY!!! Ive never been a huge fan of milkshakes but I will never look at those the same!
  • Quote: You can't out exercise poor eating - no matter how hard you try.

Lin
    Words to live by.
  • Quote: You can't out exercise poor eating - no matter how hard you try.

Lin
    AMEN!!!
  • When you think about it, 16oz is a huge amount of what is essentially ice cream with extra cream. :lol Would you think of 2 cups of ice cream as a reasonable portion? Milkshakes should be more like 4-8oz, and they should only be an occasional treat.

Or, you can make your own, much lower calorie version with 1/2 to 1 cup low fat milk, ice (or 1/2 cup of lower cal ice cream) and some choclate, caramel, whatever syrup. Protein powder works as an add on if you're into that.