Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW/CW/GW: 250/208/165

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Feeling Frustrated

I just joined this site a little while ago, but I have been lurking here and there over the past couple of year.

I just got started on my weight loss journey in January. I've been overweight since age 7ish. From high school to my 30s, I gradually gained 70ish pounds, going from around a 14/16 to 18/20 at my heaviest.

This year I decided to make a goal of being my fittest ever by the time I hit 35, and set a goal of losing around 80-something pounds (I have some goal measurements/body fat percentage that is more important than the actual scale weight to me).

My trigger to start now? Horrible periods. They started to get super heavy over the past year or so, when I gained the last 15 pounds. Prior to that, I stayed in a pretty consistent 10-12 pound range for about 10 years. I made a half hearted attempt to lose weight a few years ago, it lasted about a month and I lost 10 pounds. Other than that, other than a few days of "dieting" here and there, I have never made any concerted efforts at losing weight.

So as of today, I am up 2 pounds from my low from about a week ago. Since June 1st, I have gained and lost the same 2 pounds r fractions of. I am now down 1/5 pound from my June 1 weigh in. The dreaded plateau. I am down about 42 pounds for the year and I have another 42 to go (approximately)

Things that have changed since June:
  • New birth control pill
  • Added iron supplements

Diet and exercise amounts are about the same. I did a few less workouts in June compared with May. Over the entire month, I might have had a few extra calories compared to May. A few more days over my calorie target. Probably around 1000 extra calories, so not enough to worry about. Maybe a few more addd sugars compared to usual. Most measurements were the same, but my belly did get smaller.

I am totally lost on how to break this. I don't really want to exercise much more. Or eat much less, but maybe it is time?

Current plan:
  • Eat 1600-1900 calories (depending on exercise amounts -- I eat fairly clean, try to limit added sugars to 2-3x a week, but the past week has been horrible for me, a treat every day, current target is 120g or protein a day, and about 45% carbs/25% protein/30% fat)
  • Exercise 4X a week for 45-60 minutes (circuit training, strength training or intervals mostly. About 20% walking)

Any ideas? Lower calories? Add a day of exercise? I generally keep all of my workouts intense. Less sugar?

I am totally at a loss of what to do next! I don't feel like I am doing anything wrong, but my rate of loss has been dropping every month to the snail's pace it is now.

I have an end of the month goal to finally get to onderland and drop a dress size. At the beginning of the month I had 6 pounds to go. Now it is up to 8.
jaded408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Are you keeping a food and exercise log?

I have found this to be a very useful tool. If you are not currently keeping one, please start, don't worry over much about what you're doing, just keep track, and in a few weeks look back and go over it. Log your eating habits, exercise and how you feel at any given time of the month. It will give you insight.

There is always the possibility at your age, that you may be suffering a few "female/hormone" issues. Been there done that. I would suggest you consult with a gyno, and make sure your hormones are not out of whack.

In the meantime, do your best to make as many good choices as possible, and look forward, not back!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #3  

I have a very similar story. About the same age & size, I started gaining in my 20's and slowly went up a size every couple of years.

I've done good so far, but have a lot more to lose. I plateaued this last month too. My husband told me to try adding more time to my cardio, so I added 10 minutes and lost right away! I know you don't want to add much more, but try it and see if it will kick start you.
BusyB is offline   Reply With Quote