Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #1  
Warrior Princess

Red face The dreaded plateau

I'm sure you've all been there. I'm stuck at 150p for what seems like an eternity. I'm going to switch up calories and workouts but please tell me the scale will move again?? I mean, I can't complain that my weight is holding and not going up (thank god) however I feel like I'm driving with no destination in sight right now. Anyone else been "stuck" for more than a month??

I won't quit but I'm trying not to feel discouraged. I want to see solid 148p before I will ever fully relax. I know the numbers aren't that important but this really irks me.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #2  
Warrior Princess

Losing 10 pounds is easy, but the last 10 is a nightmare.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #3  

Truer words have rarely been spoken. 160 seems to be my magic number, for whatever reason : \
stunzorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

How long have you been stuck?

How is changing workouts going to help?

Fat loss or gain is an equation of energy.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

The scale only measures weight, not fat. Are you noticing other changes? Do you measure, take photos judge by pants that fit you?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #6  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
How long have you been stuck?

How is changing workouts going to help?

Fat loss or gain is an equation of energy.
Over a month or so. I thought switching up workouts a bit was supposed to help? I was under the impression that when you get too routine that your muscles get used to the same movement and require less energy/calories to burn...something to that effect, but I'm no expert.

Seagirl, I did take photos along the way and have lost a lot of fat. I'm just having a hard time getting unstuck with this last 10 pounds. I think I'm just going to ditch the scale and stick with photos but the pictures give me only a certain sense of accomplishment, I want to see the numbers move too.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has been stuck for a while but eventually broke the plateau, and how they did it..
Old 06-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #7  

Yes, I've been stuck for long periods of time, and yes, stay with it and the scale will go down. I usually end up going very low carb...mostly eating eggs and tuna, and that ends up working for me. I'm sure others will disagree on the way I do it, but what can I say? Desperate people do desperate things! haha Anyway, the eggs and tuna/tuna salad works for me. Good luck!
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #8  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

145 was my stick for ... 6 months.
Then I gave up, got up to 160 and realized at least being stuck was better than getting fat.

I got back down to 140-145 again... and... got stuck ... again.

I was there for another month or so, I just stuck with it. I changed working out. I started doing Tae Bo (at the time it was Richard Simmons... lol.. Sweatin' to the oldies!) And I started running (for the first time ever).

I guess that was the push I needed. A change in the routine. Calories and what I was eating stayed the same. I slowly worked my way to 135 YAY! I'm sure it would have kept going, but I applied for college and as soon as I was in I "didn't have time" to work out, cook, and was suddenly surrounded by people. I also just turned 21 and suddenly BEER! and PARTIES! I gained it all back.

I'm expecting a platue again, they always happen. From my own experience, switch up the routine and STICK WITH IT! That's was my first mistake, getting so discouraged I quit. Even if I get stuck at 145 again, at least it's not 173, and at least I feel better even if the scale doesn't move.

*EDIT*
OH! I also very recently discover I have a thyroid issue. Back in the day burning calories was extraordinarily slow and I was lucky for half a pound every week or so.
A few months ago I was going for a check up and my doctor saw I had unusual levels of a hormone or something to do with my thyroid (I don't know exactly some blood tests and she grabbed my throat and had me swallow). I've been medicated and WOW it makes a difference in SO MUCH!
I'm not tired any more (I never even realized how lethargic I was), my acne is amazingly going away, odd... hair... is going away (embarrassing) and many other things.
And, it's also made weight loss this time around a lot better. Before I was brave enough to get on the scale to see the 173, I know I dropped more because I went down a pant size before I got brave enough to see the number.

People on a platue for a LONG time... might not hurt to see a doctor. Even if it's not a thyroid problem, it's good to get the check up.

Last edited by kurisitaru; 06-30-2012 at 02:11 PM.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
Over a month or so. I thought switching up workouts a bit was supposed to help? I was under the impression that when you get too routine that your muscles get used to the same movement and require less energy/calories to burn...something to that effect, but I'm no expert.
The adapatbility component doesn't change caloric burn a whole lot. Your heart does become much more efficient as you get into better shape but again the difference in caloric burn is minor.

If you enjoy your exercise routine now there is no reason to change it. You can always do more of it or increase the intensity to increase your caloric burn but to switch under the idea that a new routine will move the scale is not accurate. It is a myth that exists because people draw poor conclusions. For example - someone in your position might do a new routine and a couple days later have the scale go down two lbs. They conclude it was the new routine and tell everyone who will listen how changing routines busted their platueau.

What really happened? Most likely they just experienced a whoosh.

Women can retain water for a long time.

A caloric deficit causes fat loss but water can mask what is happening.

If you're in a deficit you're losing fat. If you're not in a deficit you're not losing fat.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #10  
Warrior Princess

When I say "switch up my routine" I mean I'm going to stick with Jillian Michaels but up my game a little more, also switching the levels around a bit to keep muscles challenged.. but not do something totally different because I enjoy her as grueling as she is.

I just went outside for a 30 minute brisk walk for extra credit (too hot to jog with this heat wave) but I will not quit, no way. Like Kuri said it's better to be stuck than gain. Also, I have had my thyroid checked many times because I'm genetically high risk (my Mom was diagnosed w/ graves disease when she was pregnant with me and died of thyroid cancer at 63 ) but thankfully my thyroid is fine.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #11  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Women can retain water for a long time.

A caloric deficit causes fat loss but water can mask what is happening.

If you're in a deficit you're losing fat. If you're not in a deficit you're not losing fat.
Agree 100%
Old 07-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189.4/173.8/150

Height: 6'

Default Been There!

Hi there. I too have experienced many plateaus and it really is no fun! something that really helps me is i do a 3-5 day "fast". it helps with water retention, and gets your metabolism cranked up, and has gotten me out of plateau's every single time! what you do is for 3-5 days, you constantly graze on meat. just meat. Like turkey, chicken, beef jerky, good hamburger meat, etc. when you are hungry, you eat just a few bites, and you keep doing that all throughout the day. you can have any vegetables as long as they are raw, and you can have one serving of fruit at around 10 am and 2 pm to keep your blood sugar up. Drink plenty of water, and you can also have as many egg whites as you desire that day with up to one yolk. You don't get hungry because you are constantly taking little bites whenever you feel the hunger pains! whats nice is you feel like you are eating so much because you are grazing all day long, but in reality you are getting out of the plateau! let me know if this works for you! good luck
KatieBug is offline   Reply With Quote