Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default I've officially GAINED five pounds... :(

Dadgumit. Dagnabit. Ding-dang-it-Daisy!

Yup, been eating too much. For a couple of months now. So that's basically a 2.5# gain per month, which is about 1.5 MORE than what I NORMALLY have been LOSING.

I know where it is coming from. I've "retreated"... that is, I've been having too many TREATS... again.

I know what I need to do. GET OFF THE SUGAR ROLLER COASTER. AGAIN.

I swear, I don't know what makes me hit that crazy "gotta have it!" attitude when I've been doing SO WELL for SO LONG. I'd noticed that I was feeling much more hungry lately, and I knew I was eating more calories than usual (I keep up with it via FitDay.) I'm still eating very healthy! - but... just too much... junk with all my healthy = too many calories. (WHY OH WHY DO I DO THIS?!?!?!?!?!)

Anybody wanna come to my pity party? Words of encouragement are appreciated.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #2  
Results>Reasons

S/C/G: 196/190/150

Height: 5'9"

I say, you have done amazing, and in my opinion, 5 pounds ain't sh!t! So..don't beat yourself up. Also, I can relate to doing the snack attack before...What I have done to elliminate that, is to not buy it. What's not seen is not craved. Have lots of celery or something like that on hand too...sometimes it's just the need to put something in your mouth.
AriesNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #3  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

i'm glad you caught it at 5 lbs. 5 lbs is doable. the problem is when you say screw it and a 5 lb regain becomes a 20 lbs.

mourn the gain, and then get exciting because this is your new starting point.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #4  

Hey Beach Patrol, Don't be down on yourself for too long. We all can understand....cheer up. It's a new day and you can go into it wiser and more determined than ever to turn your health and your life around!!!!

Yeah the sugar roller coaster is no fun. I've been there. I have found both sugar and processed foods (including wheat products) to be so addictive. What totally helped me have control over what I eat instead of feeling controlled by my cravings has been the paleo diet. Look it up on google....go in with an opened mind however because chances are that it's a lot different than what you have learned in the past about health and nutrition. The book The Paleo Solution rocked my world....read it and let me know what you think.

Thanks for letting me share,
Lulu
Lulu Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #5  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesNV View Post
sometimes it's just the need to put something in your mouth.
that's what my husband keeps telling me!

Ok, that was in poor taste. (but still funny).

Thanks for replying!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayohwhy View Post
i'm glad you caught it at 5 lbs. 5 lbs is doable. the problem is when you say screw it and a 5 lb regain becomes a 20 lbs.

mourn the gain, and then get exciting because this is your new starting point.

You're right!~ 5# IS doable. I guess I just see it as that "slippery slope" to regaining all I've lost PLUS more, which has been my experience in the past 30+years of yo-yo dieting.

I finished off the 1/2 gallon of mint chocolate chip ice cream last night. WILL. NOT. BUY. MORE! Gotta get back to my idea that IF I WANT that kind of "treat", then I need to WALK to the ICE CREAM parlor & have ONE SCOOP, as opposed to buying a 1/2 gallon at the grocery store. It's more expensive that way, but I think: "hey, what's worse? spending a little extra money, or gaining weight?"
Old 06-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #7  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu Jones View Post
Hey Beach Patrol, Don't be down on yourself for too long. We all can understand....cheer up. It's a new day and you can go into it wiser and more determined than ever to turn your health and your life around!!!!

Yeah the sugar roller coaster is no fun. I've been there. I have found both sugar and processed foods (including wheat products) to be so addictive. What totally helped me have control over what I eat instead of feeling controlled by my cravings has been the paleo diet. Look it up on google....go in with an opened mind however because chances are that it's a lot different than what you have learned in the past about health and nutrition. The book The Paleo Solution rocked my world....read it and let me know what you think.

Thanks for letting me share,
Lulu
Thanks Lulu! - I have looked at the Paleo diet before; but I really don't think it's something I could ever sustain. I'm glad it's working for you, tho!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #8  
Results>Reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
that's what my husband keeps telling me!

Ok, that was in poor taste. (but still funny).

Thanks for replying!
Mine would say the same thing if I ever let him know I'm even "dieting"

MEN!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #9  
Results>Reasons

I DID hear that burned a lot of calories tho.... ;] ;]

hahah!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Quote:
That's why so many other people regain - they don't stop when they first realize it. You will though!

I haven't bought a half gallon of ice cream since last year. That's probably one of the biggest things that helped me put on weight. I think your idea is great about needing to walk to the store if you want a cone. I think those 100 calorie individual ice creams might be fine too. I have one every night and it really hits the spot.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #11  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

Be glad you caught it at only 5lbs, I made it all the way up to 20lbs before I realized I giggle a little more then usual. To many treats start adding up quickly ugh. The sad part is as I was eating said treats I would say to myself "I really shouldn't be eating this" and then continue eating it lol

Now to "start over" once again with the sugar detox! Oh boy. I remember how fun that was last time..... Not

I recently read the book "The end of overeating" by David Kessler that was a huge eye opener to why I crave junk food like its a drug. It really helped me understand why my body responds the way it does and helps me be more aware of those feelings. Thus keeping me out of the dang fridge!! lol

I feel your pain Beach Patrol but we can do this!
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #12  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
I think your idea is great about needing to walk to the store if you want a cone. I think those 100 calorie individual ice creams might be fine too. I have one every night and it really hits the spot.
That's what I had BEEN doing... I really love those 40 calorie fudgesicle bar thingies - but even THEN I would have FOUR of them, because "HEY! - it's only 160 calories!!!"

I guess I can find some sort of joy in knowing that I KNOW what my problem is... I just have to "reapply" that knowledge.

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 06-29-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis21 View Post
The sad part is as I was eating said treats I would say to myself "I really shouldn't be eating this" and then continue eating it
Oh yeah, BTDT. A lot.

Quote:
I feel your pain Beach Patrol but we can do this!
Thank you for your camaraderie!

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 06-29-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
I know where it is coming from. I've "retreated"... that is, I've been having too many TREATS...
LOL, love it. Can I join your pity party? For the past few days I've been eating very sloppily, i.e., with much less control than usual. My daughter had her sweet 16 party a few days ago, and her guests brought stuff like Godiva and Lindt chocolates, homemade dumplings, pita chips with jalapeno dip, peach curd, etc. I've been eating WAY too much of those things. Fortunately I've been good with exercise, but I know I have to pull the plug on my food indulgences stat! We'll make it through, right?

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I am right there with you. Eating way too many treats this week - but you know what - I was being so strict with myself for the past month that I just needed to let go and unwind a bit. I know I have put on 2-3 pounds and need to get back on track, but I am ok with being kind to myself and knowing when I need to get off the obsessive dieting roller coaster every now and again. I have been at this for 2 years, and it gets exhausting. We can do this - let's just view it as a "reset."
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote