Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/177/150

Height: 5'2

Default Fasting and Protein?

I've been looking at other threads/posts about how a lot of people are doing "fasting" for a certain number of hours. One I saw (and I believe it was on this forum on 3FC) would not eat from 9pm to 1pm the next day, so they could eat from 1pm to 9pm that day. It sounded as if it works for them, but every person's body is completely different. My issue right now is that I wake up way late, like 11 am or noon almost every day, even if I do go to bed early.
So, that means I really can't have breakfast, and what I eat at that time is my "lunch."

So, I suppose going from 9pm-1pm the next day isn't a bad idea for fasting, considering I wake up late every day. Yet, I'm concerned as to whether it's healthy for my body or not. My eating habits are getting better now that I'm losing weight and I'm incorporating more protein, but I need more ideas for food.

If you are currently fasting for a certain number of hours, I'd appreciate it if you would share, or if any of you could give me food ideas with lots of protein included. I already eat a lot of fish and chicken, but I'm not into eating that every day. Thank you!
ShetlandSheepdogLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4

Hey there! There is a whole forum on Intermittent fasting and all of it's variations here on 3FC to check out, and those folks have all kinds of tips and tricks. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...-other-if.html

There are also some articles on the main page you can start with; http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...-other-if.html

You might also want to check out www.leangains.com and do a Google Search of "Eat Stop Eat" and "Intermittent Fasting".
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

I didn't realise I was doing anything like fasting until I saw people talking about it on here. Like you, I tend to get up late - usually between 10am and noon. And bedtime is nominally 1am but can be much later if I've got my nose stuck in a book. As the evening meal, anywhere between 7pm and 11pm, is the last thing I eat in a day, that means I'm technically fasting between twelve and sixteen hours each day. It works for me because I can quite easily go to sleep when I'm moderately hungry, and the evening meal contains plenty of protein which stops me feeling hungry in the evening.

How are you managing the lunch/breakfast thing at the moment? Lunch foods for breakfast, or breakfasty foods then a much later lunch? And if you're going to bed late, does that mean you're eating late? I'm curious to see how other people who keep odd hours manage it.

As for other sources of protein, this is copied and pasted from wikipedia:

"Examples of vegetarian foods with protein concentration greater than 7 percent include: soybean, lentil, kidney bean, white bean, mung bean, chickpea, cowpea, lima bean, pigeon pea, lupine, wing bean, almonds, Brazil nuts, cashew, pecan, walnuts, cotton seed, pumpkin seed, sesame seed, sunflower seed".

So nuts and seeds, peas and beans. Eggs are also good. Just don't go mad with them - some of those nuts are pretty calorie dense and it's easy to eat too many of them. There's also red meat - would make a change from chicken and fish, and if you're eating it in moderate quantities and cutting the fat off then it should be fine.
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShetlandSheepdogLove View Post
Yet, I'm concerned as to whether it's healthy for my body or not.
It's health neutral. Meal timing doesn't matter for the vast majority of the population.

People with low blood sugar issues and athletes training many hours are the top two exceptions.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/177/150

Height: 5'2

To JossFit: I had no idea there was a forum for this, thank you very much!

To Brid: For my "lunch" when I get up around noon time, I usually do have lunch-type foods. I keep breakfast foods strictly to breakfast if I ever wake up early enough (10 a.m. at the latest for breakfast.)

I just had my lunch right now and it was a spicy chicken Caesar salad from Wendy's (half, not full salad) to give you an idea of what I ate.

I usually go to bed late, as well. 1 a.m. at the definite latest while 10 p.m. would be the earliest I'd go to bed at. I'm good about not eating late at night, except for the occasional urge to eat chips, of which I know not to do by now.

Also, thank you for the list of foods, by the way. I totally forgot I could just look them up!

To JohnP: Thank you for putting my concern to rest. I was just wondering if my body was in need of the three major meals of the day or if I could get by without breakfast occasionally.
ShetlandSheepdogLove is offline   Reply With Quote