Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

You will be absolutely fine. When I was in my 300's I needed a belt extender but did fit into the seat. Barely. I was worried then about being kicked off so i paid extra for first class.

But I just went on a trip two weeks ago and had a nice NSV when I didn't need an extender. I was very worried because one of the flights was on a commuter turboprop, and I fit just fine! I was so excited.

I had one flight where the belt barely fit, but blamed that on the airline, not me, because the belt was too short. I was nowhere near being too big for the seat belt on the other flights.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 232/217/145

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. My hips measure 49" right now - (down one inch from 3 weeks ago when I started!) - As far as pant size - that's so hard to say where I am. I have 1 pair that falls off me when I walk, and another pair that I can put on and off with undoing the zipper, and another that is still too tight - yet they are all the same size - 18. Love hearing all of your stories. Thanks!
chickadee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

You will definitely be fine - you and I are the same height and I flew overseas to Costa Rica at m "peak weight" of 230. It was snug, but I was nowhere near "overflowing" or needing a 2nd seat! I was a size 20 (arg!) at that point in my life - I had to tuck in my arms a bit and let the seat-belt out a bit, but nothing major. I definitely "fit" and even for the long flight, I was okay comfort-wise.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #19  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

You should be fine. I find though, that different planes have different length seatbelts. I went on vacation in April and flew on three different planes each way. When I flew on a smaller, 50-seat jet I got the seatbelt fastened, but just barely. When I flew on slightly bigger jet, I was able to get the belt fastened more easily, but I had to use all of it. On a bigger jet that holds more than 200 people, not only did I get the seatbelt fastened more easily, but there was some slack left over.

Last edited by Ookpik; 06-14-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookpik View Post
You should be fine. I find though, that different planes have different length seatbelts. I went on vacation in April and flew on three different planes each way. When I flew on a smaller, 50-seat jet I got the seatbelt fastened, but just barely. When I flew on slightly bigger jet, I was able to get the belt fastened more easily, but I had to use all of it. On a bigger jet that holds more than 200 people, not only did I get the seatbelt fastened more easily, but there was some slack left over.

Totally agree with this statement. Those commuter planes with two seats on each side typically have very short seat belts. The larger jets with 2-3 or 3-3 seating have bigger belts. I find that first class can be a mixed bag: sometimes belts are bigger but other times I have really had to squeeze in. I think It could do with the age of the plane. Older planes, like the DC 9, seem to have shorter belts. But I have no proof for my theory.

If you are a size 18, you will have no problem. I am a size 20 that can fit into some 18's.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #21  
Zombie-Slaying Princess

S/C/G: 327/164/160

Height: 5'6"

I think as long as your hips are under 60", you should be fine, honestly. About four years ago when I weighed about 290lbs and my hips were 58", I was able to fly and didn't need an extender on a Boeing 747. For what it's worth, I was wearing a size 26 at the time.

When I flew three weeks ago, I weighed a 287lbs, had 55.5" hips, and wore a size 22 (running has made me more muscular and compact, I guess?), and I had belt to spare, so you should beyond fine. =)
PixelatedTimeMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #22  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I flew as recently as 2 days ago. I'm 30lbs heavier than you are and flew without issue, and without a seat-belt extender. And the belt goes across my biggest area. You will be fine, for sure!!!
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #23  

Height: 5'5"

I'm at 215...flew last month to Key West and i'm getting on a plane tonight to go to Buffalo, i didn't have any problems...even with the seat belt.
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote