3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   "Hey, Fat Girl." (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/260356-hey-fat-girl.html)

LockItUp 06-03-2012 05:05 PM

"Hey, Fat Girl."

Hope it's ok that I share this. I stumbled upon the link on another forum, I loved it so much I really wanted to share with you guys:

Flintland Blog

Quote:

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.
You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.
You are awesome.
If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.
You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.
You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.
I bow to you.

Steph7409 06-03-2012 07:14 PM

I'm so glad you posted this. I saw it linked somewhere else and was going to put it here myself. Such a great essay! I know a lot of us have felt self-conscious about exercising, so it's nice to know that not everyone is judging us harshly. The comments about the post were wonderful, too.

init2winit2 06-03-2012 07:28 PM

Hey Fat Girl

Thanks for such an uplifting piece of work. Though I am not a runner, this work provides encourgement to, not only become one, but to fully engage in my weight loss process.

linJber 06-03-2012 07:53 PM

I don't run, but that essay sure fits many of us who work out in other ways, too. Thanks for posting it.

Lin

twinieten 06-03-2012 08:39 PM

This is really good! Thanks for posting it!

amandie 06-04-2012 11:18 AM

This is awesome. Totally what I needed to hear today! Thanks for posting/sharing this with us, Stephanie.

LockItUp 06-04-2012 11:28 AM

Glad it could inspire a few, as it inspired me!!!

kristindawn 06-04-2012 11:39 AM

This is awesome! Thanks for posting :) I am going to keep this in mind when I go to the gym today!

nataliegm 06-04-2012 11:34 PM

That is amazing, so glad you shared that

redvelouria 06-05-2012 12:35 AM

Pretty cool! Every day when I'm driving I see people out exercising. I give an extra cheer to overweight people...because I know how they feel! When I'm out jogging I hope there's someone cheering me on too.

JohnP 06-05-2012 12:40 AM

Very cool. That said if I was going to talk to a big girl on the track I would tell her than she should read my sig.

I've seen sooooo many obese people on the cardio machines busting their butts but a year later they look exactly the same and they're still busting their butts on the cardio machine...

meltaway 06-05-2012 12:13 PM

I don't 100% agree with your sig JohnP.

meltaway 06-05-2012 12:17 PM

But yes, I love the essay (although some of the word choices irk me, but I'm a writer, so hey) I love the sentiment behind it. :) A nice pick me up-er, if you will.
One day I'll run. One day. :lol:

JohnP 06-05-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meltaway (Post 4359869)
I don't 100% agree with your sig JohnP.

Me either but since my true feelings on the topic don't fit into a one line signature I'll settle for it generally speaking to be how I feel about it.

The point is derived from the idea that many people falsely believe that they are going to drop weight from exercise and minor modifications in diet when in reality the majority of fat loss is going to occur from changes in one's diet.

EagleRiverDee 06-05-2012 01:12 PM

There was a woman once I saw that I felt this way about. She was a bigger lady- probably 400+ lbs- and she would come to the gym and work out. She was the biggest person there, and I'm sure she felt self-conscious. And I was in awe of her. I really wanted to tell her how much I respected her for her determination and her efforts. I never did, because I felt like it would make her self-conscious. I sometimes wonder if I should have said something.

meltaway 06-05-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4359952)
Me either but since my true feelings on the topic don't fit into a one line signature I'll settle for it generally speaking to be how I feel about it.

The point is derived from the idea that many people falsely believe that they are going to drop weight from exercise and minor modifications in diet when in reality the majority of fat loss is going to occur from changes in one's diet.

*nods* Got it.

jessica2231 06-05-2012 05:17 PM

you mad me cry. thank you. : )

free1 06-05-2012 09:20 PM

Thanks so much for sharing. I needed this today more than ever. I'm going to print it and keep it near by. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you.

iyah0125 06-06-2012 04:15 AM

Thanks for sharing. It is very inspiring. I hope everyone will be like her, not afraid to run in front of people no matter how she looks like, not thinking what others may say.

Michelle125 09-27-2012 08:32 AM

Hey, Fat Girl.

Brilliant blog post. Beautiful. Almost brought me to tears. I will never feel self-conscious about working out again.

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

LovelyAndLosing 09-27-2012 09:17 AM

This is so true. Someone posted a few weeks ago about being insulted/feeling insecure while running ... every time I see a heavier person running or in my Zumba class, I simply think how much harder it must be for them ("he/she rocks!") and how I should work harder too!

berryblondeboys 09-27-2012 09:26 AM

Only thing is that I wish, wish, wish people wouldn't jump into running so quickly. That determination can get waylaid by injury so easily and they're determination can get waylaid by the sheer difficulty of trying to move a heavy body in a way that is hard for it to do.

I have seen so many people try at something so hard that they give up. if only they built up to it first!

But it is true... most people do not look down on the overweight and unfit who are WORKING on their fitness. How could they?

westcoast rosa 09-27-2012 11:01 AM

I have luckily never had any negative comments while working out. I have had strangers say "way to go", give me a thumbs up, etc. It's really great to feel so supported.

SoMuchFattitude 09-27-2012 11:19 AM

Thank you. :)

kelly315 09-27-2012 03:16 PM

So nice :)

Speaking of which, I should get off the internet and head to the gym! Here I go!

Skellig19 09-27-2012 04:10 PM

Awesome post. Thanks for the link. Made me feel all warm and special inside. That's me!

kelijpa 09-27-2012 04:58 PM

That was a great read, thanks for sharing!
:sunny:

DietVet 09-27-2012 07:34 PM

Am I the only person who finds this pretty patronizing?

I mean, what makes her think that I need or want her approval? She's reinforcing the same standard that the sentiment of her post is0( sort of) trying to resist--that thin people are better than fat people, and that we fat people need approval from thin people in order to feel ok about ourselves. Scr*w that.

cherrypie 09-27-2012 09:20 PM

the first gym I joined way back in like 1982 was a hardcore weightlifting gym because, well, that was the only kind back then. And the owner who was obviously a competative body builder told me never to be embarassed to be at the gym and be in worse shape then the other people. Everyone is the same at the gym, they are all trying to improve. No one is concerned about your current level of fitness, they just respect that you are there to improve just like them.

MelodyLeigh 09-27-2012 10:23 PM

Thank you for posting this. This was EXACTLY what I needed tonight. For the past week, I've been trying to finish the day 1 workout for C25K, but I always got way too fatigued to get through it all. Until tonight.

I had already made up my mind that I was NOT going to try again tonight, but then I logged onto 3FC and this thread was the first thing I saw. It was just what I needed to be a big girl, put on my shoes, and finally conquer the day 1 workout.

Thank you!

augeremt 02-26-2013 03:18 AM

Hey, fat girl.

I came upon the following blog post by a fit runner who wrote an ode to the "fat girl" running laps at the track. It's the opposite of what you'd expect and definitely worth a read.

"Hey, Fat Girl" at http://flintland.blogspot.com

I'm sorry if this has already been posted here since it was written in June, but most newbies probably haven't seen it. And I've seen a lot of posts lately about worrying about working out in public. So this should help.

On a more personal note, this post brought me to tears. I live in a town where most people are very thin and nearly everyone is fit. I stick out like a sore thumb and can honestly count on both hands the number of people I've met in the four years that I've lived here who are even close to my size, and none of them are my age (28).

I still remember the first time I tried running here, starting with week one day one of Couch to 5k several years ago. It called for jogging a minute and walking 90 seconds, repeating this 8 times. I was so self-conscious about my "workout" and worried that people would scoff at my attempt at running that I almost didn't go at all. I mean, who runs for JUST 1 minute? That's inconceivable around these parts. It was really hard to get out the door

These days, I am nowhere near fit and not skinny by any means (see my ticker) but I've gotten over my crippling fear of working out in public. I still won't use a treadmill because I feel like an elephant stomping around on it, but I am no longer embarrassed to go to the gym and now bike in full spandex (head to toe).

Most people are too wrapped up in their own worlds to even notice my workout, and if they do they often have nice things to say. I got a smile and a wave from a fellow runner this morning on the trail and the enthusiastic, "Keep it up! You're doing awesome!" encouragement from a random person getting into their car as I jogged past them three years ago still sticks out in my mind.

Long story short, I hope some of you get inspiration from this runner's post and are inspired to get outside and get moving!

Fortunate 02-26-2013 05:58 AM

oh wow! that gave me goosebumps!
I felt like that when i started working out - i was convinced people were staring at me thinking "what is she doing here" then I outran a skinny girl on the treadmill, i ran 30mins she was out of breath and stopped after 10min, she may have just been warming up but it made me feel great - like i earned the right to run with the skinny's in gym and the right to be respected for trying.
I never used to talk to anyone and now i am contantly waving at people i know there, it boosts your self - confidence and makes you want to go to gym.
This article says it perfectly - i admire all the girls and guys at gym who are trying, not the ones who spend more time fixing their hair and pulling their hot pants out their bums than working out, the one's who even if they are sweating like a pig and puffing like a steam train (im one of them) they are trying, they are commitited and they make me want to go to gym and try my best too.

runthecontinent 02-26-2013 06:21 AM

I read this when I was just starting to run with my C25K plan! I found it so inspiring and it definitely encouraged me to keep going!

Although I'm pretty sure the people we imagine mocking us and looking down on us do actually exist.. I believe the majority either doesn't notice us at all OR thinks of us the way this blogger does! And if you think about it, he's right! It is so difficult to start out when you're not fit, so what we're doing is a big deal!

I've been running for slightly over a year now and have gotten much fitter (though not much thinner, sadly). I no longer feel self-conscious when I'm running. When I see a "fat girl" or newbie to running on the trails or at the gym working up a sweat, I feel a mixture of fellowship and respect. This blog is really spot on.

KimL1214 02-26-2013 09:14 PM

Love it!