Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/Ticker/122

Height: 5'4"

Default Do I have to count it if it went straight through? (TMI!!)

So, I woke up around 6 this morning with a really bad stomach ache. I thought maybe I was hungry (I had eaten an early dinner and I sometimes get stomach pain if I'm really hungry) so I ate a nature valley bar and water. Five minutes later, it came straight out, along with the water (ETA: as in diarrhea) ....do I count it?

Although it may not matter since I'm scared to eat anything else today...

I'm also trying to figure out why and there are two possibilities - one, I got travel shots on Friday or two, I went to bed really late so I took my multivitamin really late (about 7 hrs after a meal time) so maybe that irritated my stomach...help?

Last edited by sparklegirl07; 06-03-2012 at 01:46 PM.
sparklegirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

That happens to me sometimes too, when I drink coffee with my breakfast, or if I eat something too high in fat (my gall bladder is gone). I count it. There's really no way of knowing how many of those calories were absorbed.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #3  
Started IP 01/06/2014

Height: 5'7''

Yes, you have to count it. You begin to metabolize food in your mouth, so even if the process was never completed you still have a certain caloric intake. Instead of guessing the fraction of the bar's calories that you took in, just log the entire amount to be safe.

Last edited by Emmcakes; 06-03-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Emmcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

You have many feet of intestine. It takes hours for food to go through normally, and then more hours when it enters the colon and the excess water is reabsorbed. That's on a normal day, so even if you have diarrhea, the transit time is increased due to increased peristalsis and less time to reabsorb the water in the colon(and spasms). But it likely was not your granola bar you said goodbye to if it was 5 minutes later. That would be some severe diarrhea, and I'm talking about if you had Cholera. So in short, yes, I would say you have to count it, but maybe try taking some immodium? If there is blood or mucus then don't, and see your doc, but if not then it's ok, and might help. There are many reasons for diarrhea, some people are more prone than others. Lucky you, you get it today! Feel better soon.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #5  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

This may be off topic, but as far as eating today, go with the BRAT diet until you're sure your stomach is playing on your team.

Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast - nice and easy on the tummy

This is what my sister's gastro-doc told her to do when her colitis is acting up.
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote