Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/162/140

Height: 5'7"

Default 20 lbs by August 10th. Realistic?

Hi everybody!

I'm coming to you from a very long plateau. I used to post here a while back (about 4 months now!) when I was determined to get down to 140 lbs. Then, for some reason, I just stopped. Since I now live in Europe, the good thing is that I walk around enough to maintain my weight...so the damage has not been that bad, but still- bikini season is coming up and I want to get back on track!

I started running the other day, but the fact that I'm a moderate smoker has killed that dream- 4 months of no running and smoking actively is aawwwwful! (quitting smoking now, working hard, hate it!) So then I stopped that for a while. On top of everything, I started the pill which makes me feel bloated and hungry all the time (but it is a necessary evil). So with all of these factors- is realistic for me to want to drop 20 lbs by August 10th? What is your advice for getting back into weight loss and sticking with it?

Heeeeeeeelp.

Last edited by MustardFan; 05-31-2012 at 09:50 AM.
MustardFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 231/162/165

Height: 6'

Hi. I'm following weight watchers online, but the free myfitnesspal.com is supposed to be very similar and very effective. I think 20 by Aug 10 may be tricky. That would mean 2 pounds per week, which is possible but there might be weeks you don't lose as much. I would say shoot for losing at least 10 pounds and you will likely lose more than that.
daniprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I also think 20 pounds is a stretch, do the best you can, you certainly will be able to lose a good portion of that by August 10.If you can up your exercise that will help.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #4  

Default Yes

I was told day before yesterday that in a month I could/should lose a twent pounds that would make it late June...wanting to be that good. I like you stalled out wish I could also say I hadn't put any back. But did so will have to remove this 10 again and add more YOU CAN DO IT!
Elizabeth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

I'd say it is definitely possible. But there is at least an equal possibility that it could not be enough time to lose 20lbs (so helpful, I know! lol). There's nothing wrong with setting a goal like that as long as you are okay with that fact that you might fall a little short.
As for advice, I'd say plan ahead. I have my meals and snacks for the entire day planned usually the day before, and that's really helped me. Track everything, and make sure you measure/weigh things as much as you can.
Best of luck.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Possible? Most likely! The only thing I'd say will make it tricky is that it's your LAST 20 pounds. Those last pounds seem to be the most stubborn and tricky to get off. There's no doubt you will lose weight! So that's the bright side.

Plan and track would be my advice as well!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 172.6/158.8/139

Height: 5'4

I'm in the same boat as you! I'd love to be down about 15-20lbs by August. it'd be nice to finally be comfortable and wear shorts this summer!
withinmygrasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #8  
Aussie girl

S/C/G: 210/146/146

Height: 5'4

I personally think it's a bad idea to set time limits for weight loss.

You could possibly do it, but it will be tough. What happens if you don't reach that goal? How bad will you feel? Will you keep at it?

I say just strive to lose the weight and not put a time frame on it.
electrongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

If you were starting out at your highest weight, I'd say...sure, no problem. But as someone else mentioned, this is your LAST 20 pounds and that makes it much harder. I think it's going to be pretty difficult, actually.

I really think instead of making a goal to lose 20 pounds by August 10th, maybe you should make it your goal to stick perfectly on plan until August 10th. No cheats, no free days, no binges...just 100% "on plan" eating.

You might make it to your goal weight, or you might not, but either way, the eating is something you really can control, the scale...well no.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/162/140

Thanks for all the replies! You guys definitely boosted my determination.

I don't think I'll be disappointed if I don't lose the 20lbs, but I will fight like I can win the battle. I just really want to feel comfortable in my body when I laze on the beach in August. I know that every bite of bad food and every day when I don't move my body will just add to make that trip not as good as it could be. Determination, meditation- I've been doing the good old tested and tried "Will that chocolate cake taste better than feeling AMAZING and looking great this summer?" the answer is always, ALWAYS 'no'.
MustardFan is offline   Reply With Quote