3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Tough restaurants (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/259443-tough-restaurants.html)

chickadee32 05-20-2012 06:12 PM

Tough restaurants

Ever have those occasions when you have to go out to eat, someone else picks the restaurant, and there's nothing or very little that you feel like you can order there?

We're going here tonight: http://www.mammaluciarestaurants.com...iles/file2.pdf. I used to love this place, and still love the food there (their pizza is amazing), but I avoid it because there is almost nothing reasonable on the menu. Really, do I have any choices there other than a garden salad with chicken added and the dressing (or just oil and vinegar) on the side? Maybe one of the seafood and pasta dishes with tomato sauce, and I'll just have only a little of the pasta? I'm only at 530 cals for the day thus far and so I have room for a reasonable restaurant meal tonight, but ugh, I so wish there was something on the menu with protein, a good amount of vegetables, and a sauce that isn't oil, butter or cream-based. :(

juliana77 05-20-2012 06:50 PM

You can almost always order something that's not on the menu, as long as they have everything to make it, or even just modifying something that's on there. I would order something like the chicken piccata, but ask for vegetables instead of the spaghetti (like the salmon piccata is served on a bed of spinach instead of spaghetti - although there's spaghetti on the side, but just ask them not to bring it.)

Sometimes there is an extra charge to order this way, but I figure I'm worth it :)

nelie 05-20-2012 07:00 PM

I swore it was Mama Lucia that I went to where you could order any pasta dish and substitute veggies (zucchini and such) instead of pasta. I don't see that on the menu. Maybe they changed it or its a different restaurant.

ETA: Looks like they changed it. Why don't you get the mixed vegetables with Marinara (under Contorni) and add chicken to it? Or similar, I'd look at the meats where they say 'add to any salad' and then look at the vegetables under Contorni to make your own dish. I've done similar at many restaurants (hello vegan at Outback, had an awesome meal there actually).

Arctic Mama 05-20-2012 07:44 PM

I'd get the mozzarella caprese for appetizer and the saltimboca with no penne for my main course.

Really, Italian isn't hard at all if you just nix the pasta (at least on my plan). There's lots and lots that is delicious and can be quickly modified to fit low carb or even low calorie plans, without many changes.

chickadee32 05-20-2012 09:57 PM

Thank you for the suggestions, ladies! I was thinking too about asking them to modify something heavily, as I really, really didn't want another salad just because that's what was safest. It turns out they had a special that was a good choice - a frutti di mare with shrimp, scallops, mussels, calamari and fish in a light tomato broth with pasta. I ate just a few bites of the pasta and almost all of the seafood, and it was a good, filling meal for what I think was about 650 calories.

nelie, it's too bad they don't still do that (subbing veggies for pasta)!! I didn't even know they used to. I definitely would have taken that option if they'd had it.

Arctic Mama, cheese is unfortunately a no-go for me at restaurants, as it causes major digestive issues (I have some sort of intolerance to dairy fat). Otherwise, I would have loved a caprese salad. :) Tomatoes with olive oil and balsamic and sea salt... YUM.

meltitaway 05-20-2012 10:06 PM

I would eat a small slice of pizza and a salad, but that is something I eat most weeks anyway. Good Luck! I hope you enjoyed!

nelie 05-20-2012 10:07 PM

chickadee - I'd ask them next time you go if you get a dish with pasta, ask to substitute the veggies, I'm betting they would. They are pretty good about catering to you.

I've never been much a fan of pasta myself but the few times I went there (prior to being vegan), they were willing to modify stuff to my liking.

Arctic Mama 05-21-2012 02:18 AM

Chickadee, I have to be careful with cheese, too. Fortunately after eliminating almost all dairy (literally a half ounce of a milk a day was all I allowed) I almost completely obliterated my allergic sensitivity to it and now the fermented dairies like cheese and yogurt I can do in moderation :)

That is so excellent they had the perfect special for you. Cool! And it sounds yummy, too.

chickadee32 05-21-2012 03:28 AM

nelie, I'm definitely going to try that the next time I go there. That would be a really great option, and it's good to know they've been so accommodating with you in the past. I do like pasta quite a lot, but I usually avoid eating it out... it's just so tough to accurately tell the portion size I should be eating when they serve you a half pound of it on your plate!

Arctic Mama, I too have noticed that I have less sensitivity to it now than before. I don't know whether it's because I eat dairy fat far less frequently (same kind of restriction you've done - I pretty much eliminated it entirely for a while), or whether it's because the rest of my diet is so much more healthful in general than it used to be, or what... but the sensitivity is noticeably less severe. I'm still nervous about it in restaurants though; I'm more willing to have it at home where I don't have to worry as much if I don't tolerate it well. :) Butter is the worst though - I still have major problems with that, and can always tell when it was hidden in my meal somewhere.

meltitaway, I probably would only get the pizza to go due to the aforementioned issue ;). But it would have been difficult to resist (and limit myself to just one slice!) if anyone else had ordered it!

Natasha22 05-21-2012 06:23 AM

That special sounds delicious! It's always nice to find healthy meal options at a really good restaurant. I actually didn't know you could ask them to customize a meal for you, this may make it a lot easier for me to eat out.

Munchy 05-21-2012 09:45 AM

I would have gotten the mussels "cozze marinara" as my meal. I can eat mussels all day :)

JoseLo 05-21-2012 12:39 PM

I know that problem! In the UK, it is less acceptable to ask them to make things that aren't on the menu, I find. Like, they either won't do it or will, but make clear they not happy!! If I was in this situation, I think I would juist make the best choice I could and make up for it later. How did it go anyways? xxx

fatbookworm 05-21-2012 08:00 PM

This is a great thread. My birthday is the 31st, and my boyfriend is thinking of taking me to The Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant. I am trying to figure out the best way to celebrate without going completely off the rails. Someone suggested an intermittent fast after the fact, but I would also like to not to overindulge. I think I'm going to use the vegetarian option, because most of your tipping items will be vegetables that way. :broc: Anyone familiar with the restaurant/cooking style have any ideas?

nelie 05-21-2012 08:12 PM

Its your birthday, so I'd choose some place you'd want to go that wouldn't make you feel bad about eating out. It looks like at Melting Pot, you get both a cheese fondue and a chocolate fondue... that seems a bit excessive if you ask me.

Munchy 05-22-2012 10:39 AM

For the melting pot, I'd probably get an entree with vegetables and a salad LINK. The salmon looks good, so does the land and sea. There are also many different sauces that are available.

Now I want to go there! :)