Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #1  

Default My weight problem is also my kids

I have read several books on weight loss and after looking over this site it appears to be right on track with what has worked for me in the past. I've been on the weight loss kick every since I saw some comments on some of my daughters photos on facebook. It almost made me cry to see kids picking on her because of her weight. I know that my bad eating habits have rubbed off on her so now I'm trying to set a good example and hoping they will also rub off on her. The biggest thing I've found is making sure to eat a healthy breakfast...breakfast kickstarts your metabolism in the morning and will make your body a fat burning machine all day. I generally start with a piece of toast with natrual peanut butter...one hard boiled egg covered in cayan pepper and a grapefruit along with a glass of unsweetened iced tea. I brew my tea myself and use one black, one white, one oolang, and one green teabag. All of the different teas have different great affects on your body, so I decided to just mix them all. I have written an article on some other tips you can try to keep your kids fit.
michigan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I absolutely agree that children develop their fitness level from their parents modeling. I was raised eating junk food, cleaning my plate, and having goodies whenever I wanted.

I raise my children to not eat if full, only have snacks at certain periods of the day, and eat a balanced menu. My mom had another child after we were grown and she raised her the same way, and now she is wayy overweight.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Jen-- can you explain your "goals" and shorthand in your siggy?
"wk 2 goals: 14,346 cs "(?? calories? i dont know, cuz it looked like you only hit 5800 cs, what ever cs is...plus that would mean youre averaginge OVER 2000 cals a day.....so im not sure thats what it is! Im assuming 35000 STEPS, but then it says in parenthysis, (+3506 cs) back to the cs...lol. and LOG binge??

i know none of its REALLY my business, butit caught my eye
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 315/157/157

Height: 5'7"

absolutely! our habits rub off on our kids. both good and bad! 5 years ago I was over 315 pounds, drinking every day. At the time my son was 3. i realized that if i didn't make a big change, his life would be negatively impacted. it's taken a lot of time but i lost 157 lbs and got sober. both his life and mine will be much better for it.
Heather157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Another thing that might help is packing her a lunch if you don't already, and of course no candy or candy-pretending-to-be-fruit and no soda or juice drinks. You may already be doing this and if so I applaud you, but HFCS is a huge contributor to obesity and many things marketed towards kids are loaded with it.

Kudos to you for making your health and your daughter's health a priority!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #6  
Woman on a mission!!!

S/C/G: 211.05/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I have somehow been blessed with a child who loves to eat salmon, tilapia, shrimp, and certain veggies!! I don't know how this happened as there was a time where all I wanted to eat was fast food, but she prefers a home cooked healthy meal over McDonald's any day (she is only 5)!! I try to keep her snacks as healthy as possible and and I keep her active with soccer. We live right across the street from a great park and I try to keep a routine of walking/jogging at least a few nights a week along with my other workouts, and she comes along with me on her scooter. She is having fun and also getting her own exercise in at the same time.
shainasb818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Yep. I see so many people who are dieting struggle to fix their kids "kid food" and making separate meals for themselves. I don't understand why the kids health isn't a priority, too!

My kids are on this journey with me. They have no choice and they don't complain . They are healthy and happy and know how to make good food choices. I couldn't be prouder of them!!

It makes all the difference, to make healthy changes as a family!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #8  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Re

Is your daughter actually overweight? If so, maybe you two can work together to get healthy. It's probably good to step in NOW before it gets worse.

I'd also step up right now and edit her Facebook so that the bullying stops if you haven't already. Defriend those people or change settings so not everyone can comment on pictures. It's simply ridiculous how vile and rampant Facebook bullying has become.....and how tragic the results can be.

Last edited by Vex; 05-17-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
HFCS is a huge contributor to obesity and many things marketed towards kids are loaded with it.
At the risk of sounding like a know it all I will just point out that sugar is sugar. Refined sugar is the problem not HFCS.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Yep. I see so many people who are dieting struggle to fix their kids "kid food" and making separate meals for themselves. I don't understand why the kids health isn't a priority, too!

My kids are on this journey with me. They have no choice and they don't complain . They are healthy and happy and know how to make good food choices. I couldn't be prouder of them!!

It makes all the difference, to make healthy changes as a family!
While I didnt grow up with the healthiest diet, my fam did cook many veggies and I grew up loving them. I would say stuff like "I love pizza day" even though I HATED that probably undercooked school pizza because I didn't want to be the "weird kid" so I sort of wonder if some of the kids who hate veggies hate them because they feel like they "should." because I see a lot of commercials that say things like "now you can actually GET your kids to eat veggies!" like they wouldn't like broccoli without cheese/ranch dressing.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #11  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
At the risk of sounding like a know it all I will just point out that sugar is sugar. Refined sugar is the problem not HFCS.
I don't disagree but HFCS is cheap and is the form of sugar that most manufacturers use which is why it was my example. Imagine what would happen to people's health in America if the only change they made was to avoid HFCS entirely? It would be major. Well, at least until the mfrs caught on and replaced it with something equally unhealthy.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #12  

It's wonderful that you've decided to set an example for your daughter and take her along with you on the path to living a healthy life style. Also, if she's being bullied for her weight, try talking to her, explain to her that she is beautiful and no one can tell her otherwise. This is a time when she is very conscious about her body image, so just make sure she maintains a positive attitude towards herself.
Encourage her to be more active, does she play any sports?

Last edited by Natasha22; 05-17-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote