Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I wear a size 0 (and I eat over 2000 calories a day) and I realize I was just eating too much. I know it's hard when you're a kid and adults say something to you (even when you're in your late teens) but it's worth it to question what they say...because I certainly wouldn't be where I am otherwise.
That's also been my experience. Don't accept what people tell you! Most of the time they have no idea what they're talking about. I'm now maintaining at 140 pounds and I'm 5'11". The other day I bought a pair of size 2 (!) capris. I didn't think this was possible for me, being tall and "large framed." Wrong -- I was overweight because I was eating 3,000 calories per day, not because of my frame.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 05-14-2012 at 05:35 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #17  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
That's also been my experience. Don't accept what people tell you! Most of the time they have no idea what they're talking about. I'm now maintaining at 140 pounds and I'm 5'11". The other day I bought a pair of size 2 (!) capris. I didn't think this was possible for me, being tall and "large framed." Wrong -- I was overweight because I was eating 3,000 calories per day, not because of my frame.

F.
My thoughts exactly!! I always thought "well I'm big boned so I'm always gonna be big" because thats what my family fed me as an excuse. But now that I'm losing the weight I realize that at 157, theres a good 30lb that I can still see disappear. And my size 8 can easily be turned into a size 2 or 4. No doubts about it.
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #18  

S/C/G: See ticker!

Height: 5'0

Genetics most certainly play a part in obesity. My family, even my extended family (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc...) is full of obese and overweight people. Both my mom and real dad are overweight, also. So it's no surprise that even though I only eat sweets a few times a year on holidays, I weigh this much. My family has never had issues with binging, etc... yet we're obese. I've sat there for years and watched my thin friends eat more than I ever could, yet I have the weight issues. It really sucks, but I do think genetics matter. Being short doesn't help either.

I also don't find it surprising that I've only lost 13 pounds in 3 months, which for someone my weight, is pretty slow.

However, I don't think it's impossible to lose weight for those with genetics not on their side, it's just harder and things will have to be done differently.
Samantha18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I have to agree with the idea that genetics play a part in our general size / shape at a particular weight. I am blessed with my mother's face (she was 5'2" tall and about 95 pounds when she got married) but with my dad's frame. I could diet and starve myself and never be built like my mom was at any particular age, but I certainly can be smaller than I was at 250+ pounds. And now that i'm at a more normal weight, I see certain similarities in how I'm built and how mom was built. I'm just a slightly larger version. Heavy thighs, small boobs, that sort of thing. If that isn't genetics, I don't know what is.

But to say you can't lose weight because of genetics is just plain crazy. And someone put their finger on something I've believed for years. Being overweight "runs in families" primarily because "eating habits" run in families. Good and bad habits. And as far as loose skin goes - wait and see how it goes. It will be better than it is now.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 05-14-2012 at 08:07 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #20  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post
Being overweight "runs in families" primarily because "eating habits" run in families. Good and bad habits.
Exactly correct - environment effects how genes are expressed. One cannot seperate the two in the real world.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Oh Kassie :hugs:

I don't think any of us here will be Miranda Kerr one day. But you can be the best darn Kassie you can be, with effort, patience, and time.

In the maintainer section, you'll find girls who started at your size and came from families who were all overweight. They were able to do it. Was it harder than someone who is born with 'better' genetics? Probably. But they did it. Sure, it's harder to change your eating habits/exercise habits that you grew up with, but your genes are simply a biological starting point, not an absolute map.

There are some absolutes - our race, our height, our bone structure, our eye colour - but the rest if fat and muscle tissue that can be changed.

Last edited by sacha; 05-15-2012 at 07:24 AM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 132/100/100

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelkitty View Post
My thoughts exactly!! I always thought "well I'm big boned so I'm always gonna be big" because thats what my family fed me as an excuse. But now that I'm losing the weight I realize that at 157, theres a good 30lb that I can still see disappear. And my size 8 can easily be turned into a size 2 or 4. No doubts about it.
My mum told me that when I gained weight. She loved me and to make me feel better compared to the rest of my family she always said I was bigger boned like my aunt and therefore it was okay (even though I'd been slim until I was about 22/23). So I told myself that my weight was okay as I was big-boned. Looking up frame sizes, I realise I'm actually small boned!

I'll never be as small as the rest of my family (my mum is 5'0, my sisters are 5'0 and 4'10) but I can still lose weight! I may not lose it as fast as my younger sister whose post-pregnancy weight seemed to drop off her overnight but I'm definitely losing it.

Keep to your eating plan and the weight will eventually come off. It might not be as fast as you like but every lb is still a lb closer to goal!
Kayriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #23  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassiebby1124 View Post
That is what someone told me today. Now, I'm aware that weight loss and genetics go hand in hand together, but does that mean when i'm at goal I'm not gonna look any different? |: I'm gonna still have this horrendous tummy hang? I do weights every other day so I'm tightening while I lose, but will I not be able to LOSE it?
Your tummy might be kind of floppy with loose skin when all is said and done, but that's better than having it be floppy and full of visceral fat. And seriously dude, you HAVE lost weight! Therefore you can, and you know it. :P

Bone structure, metabolism, all that stuff matters some, but will power and commitment trump minor obstacles.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #24  
Aussie girl

S/C/G: 210/146/146

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
Well, if the show Lost teaches us anything, nope. Hurley seemed the same size the entire time.
Actually they had food. They had the food from the plane, then the food from the hatch, then the food from the pallet that was dropped.

Also they hunted wild boar and picked fruit.

AND he even said to someone who commented on his weight that he was down some notches on his belt.

electrongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #25  
Making adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrongirl View Post
Actually they had food. They had the food from the plane, then the food from the hatch, then the food from the pallet that was dropped.

AND he even said to someone who commented on his weight that he was down some notches on his belt.

heh I was wondering if anyone would bring this up.
Shaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #26  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrongirl View Post

LOL!!! And I'm pretty sure I remember an episode where he was put in charge of the food and ate a ton of it? Chocolate bars come to mind? Am I remembering that wrong. HUGE LOST FAN! Couldn't resist.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
I don't think any of us here will be Miranda Kerr one day.
Hey, speak for yourself! :-) I think there are quite a few Miranda Kerrs over in the maintenance section and I consider myself one of them (well, the 55-year-old version). The fewer mental limits we place on ourselves the better, I say.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #28  
Aussie girl

S/C/G: 210/146/146

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
LOL!!! And I'm pretty sure I remember an episode where he was put in charge of the food and ate a ton of it? Chocolate bars come to mind? Am I remembering that wrong. HUGE LOST FAN! Couldn't resist.
I am a huge Lost fan too! I have rewatched it at least 3-4 times.

He had a huge jar of peanut butter and other things hidden away and Libby helped him get rid of it all.
electrongirl is offline   Reply With Quote