Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #31  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

Oh, don't do what I did! When I showed a trainer my food journal, I was told that I didn't need to count calories, but that I was eating too much cake. Instead of deciding to ignore her advice and keep doing what was working for me, I reacted in a very sensible way - I stopped counting calories and started eating more cake!

So much of weight loss is about emotions and psychology and relationships and finding out what works for you. Feel free to discount any advice that you know won't work.

Last edited by Couch; 05-09-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 154/146.6/129

Height: 5'5

I truly appreciate everyone's comments and after feeling despaired after talking to this nutritionist/counselor, I feel clarified and hopeful after coming here. Thank you all for your advice. I think I realized right away that I didn't agree with my nutritionist, and it is nice to see that others feel the same way.

JohnP and pnkrckpixikat, I agree with you both and will be putting some walking/cardio into my routine. I have a feeling that's the boost I need and I don't know why it took hearing it from other people to get me started. I do find brisk walking relaxing, maybe it will even help me study better. And I will use that to supplement my weight circuit training, which I really do believe in. I already use MFP and they put me at about 1471 for 1lb/wk, so I'll probably just keep everything the same and try the cardio.

I go to a large university and to think that every student that uses University services to get nutritional advice has to go through this woman makes me kind of sad. They should be coming to this site instead!

Last edited by lisa130; 05-09-2012 at 09:03 PM.
lisa130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
You're giving the nutritionist WAY too much credit. Regardless of the qualifications her advice is extremely generic and sounds like something out of a textbook.

The situation of the OP sounds nothing like what Lyle is talking about.

To the OP - are you mostly sedentary during the day except for when you exercise a couple times a week?
I agree this is not what Lyle means, but in my experience university medical personnel tend to err in the direction of "no matter what she tells me let's assume she has an eating disorder/exercise addiction and treat her that way."* So she may well be thinking that.

*After they give you the pregnancy test/put you on the Pill, of course, because that's the other possibility high in their minds.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote