Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 110/189/110

Height: 5'4

i feel you. :c
i33BabyGirl33i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 256/151.8/147

Height: 5' 9"

I used to weigh 256 pounds....have lost around 100 and kept it off for 12 years. Lost the weight when I was 20-22....Im 34 now. DON'T get me wrong--I have had three 30 pound re-gains when things got stressful(like when my mom died...).
I HATE the word diet!!
I keep a detailed food journal--calories, CARBS, and FAT. It is a HAND written notebook not a phone app. only because it makes it more personal for me--I have a calorie counter book EVEN thogh there are SO many awsome apps. and web-sites that list calories. I just like the book that I can take to a restaraunt or store or just to look over when I want to plan my next meal....... I think concentrating on ALL three (calories, fat and carbs.) is KEY to losing weight.

"MUNCHY" who posted above with all the recepies has the right idea--I prepare ALL my own food--learning how to cook for myself was KEY for me! I love bacon burgers, quesidillas (w/cheese, grilled tomatos onions peppers,sour cream and salsa--YUM!), chili....all kinds of good foods!!

If I get REALLY hungry I eat cottage cheese or a can of tuna--NO--they arent the two best tasting things in the world...BUT if I feel like I wanna SNACK like a maniac or binge...I eat one of the two--the protien content will SERIOUSLY curb the appetite!!!

Last edited by MOLE; 06-13-2012 at 12:16 PM.
MOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #18  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I too count calories. I started in March of 2008. It took me 16 months to lose around 190 pounds, and here in a few weeks it will be my 3 year anniversary for maintaining the loss. (Though I have had a couple brain farts where I gained 10-15 pounds but lost it back right away.)

Counting calories is free, and wonderful and like MOLE posted I too just hand write my calories in a journal and use various books or Internet tools to calculate calories. I have been at this now for 4 &1/2 years so I basically have the calorie counts memorized for everything!

Good luck! I highly recommended calorie counting, whole voluminous foods, lowish carbs and little to no processed sugar.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Calorie counter here too. It's just easier for me because it is ultimately less restrictive.

When I first started, it was just about getting through the day. I didn't focus on nutrients, just on staying under the calorie limit. But as I saw success, I began to choose more healthful foods. Since I don't have to strictly follow low carb, it is ok if I have a Sandwich on white instead of wheat if nothing else is available. I don't eat processed flours often, but I don't have to stress about it -or white rice, or a cookie, or Baked Doritos - if I decide to have them. Which isn't often.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
I too count calories. I started in March of 2008. It took me 16 months to lose around 190 pounds, and here in a few weeks it will be my 3 year anniversary for maintaining the loss. (Though I have had a couple brain farts where I gained 10-15 pounds but lost it back right away.)

Counting calories is free, and wonderful and like MOLE posted I too just hand write my calories in a journal and use various books or Internet tools to calculate calories. I have been at this now for 4 &1/2 years so I basically have the calorie counts memorized for everything!

Good luck! I highly recommended calorie counting, whole voluminous foods, lowish carbs and little to no processed sugar.
I'm curious as to how many calories you allowed yourself on your diet, having lost so much weight. Did you have to lower your calories as you gradually got slimmer, or were you able to lose on your initial calorie limit? I'm having a dickens of a time losing, and I'm afraid to go any lower, and I'm curious as to what other's calorie ceilings are.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

My calories are in the 1400-1700 calorie range. I weight 184 now, and have lost an average of pound a week in the last 4 weeks. I consider any weight loss to be a success, and am thrilled to be losing a pound a week right now.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #22  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I'm curious as to how many calories you allowed yourself on your diet, having lost so much weight. Did you have to lower your calories as you gradually got slimmer, or were you able to lose on your initial calorie limit? I'm having a dickens of a time losing, and I'm afraid to go any lower, and I'm curious as to what other's calorie ceilings are.
I ate 1200 calories a day for the first 3 months. I didn't cheat and I didn't go over... ever. By then it was June and vacation season, so I did up my weekend calories (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) to 1500 calories a day because we were traveling a lot it was becoming difficult to stay at 1200 eating at restaurants, though to be honest I rarely used the extra, I just allowed myself them if I wanted or needed them. I stayed at 1200 (to 1500) a day up until my goal. I actually never plateaued and never had to go any lower. To maintain, I can eat 1800 calories a day in the summer and around 1700 in the winter, (I'm more active in the summer). I truly feel like the ultimate key to my success was sticking to it every single day. I didn't do the free/cheat thing. I can count on one hand the number of times I went over my calories during my losing stage. I do enjoy treats now, I just have to work them in on special occasions, and work them off ASAP after!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-14-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 225/163/145

CC is what works for me too - no fad diets, nothing like that, CC all the way. i try to keep my metabolism going by incorporating a cheat day where I up my calories so that I don't plateau - knock o wood so far it has been working, although i am not going to lie - it does slow down my progress sometimes, but the point is I am progressing and for that i am thankful.
ghlover is offline   Reply With Quote