3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   young and inexperienced = big fail :( Help?! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/257857-young-inexperienced-%3D-big-fail-help.html)

ElociN2392 04-28-2012 01:18 AM

young and inexperienced = big fail :( Help?!

Hey Everyone!

I'm trying to count calories and have been reading a lot of posts on here, all from different people, which means different opinions. I tried googling this but still can't really find a true answer, so any answers from you guys will be wonderful.

How many calories should I be eating a day?!
I do not want to eat too many, for obvious reasons.
I also don't want to eat too few,
I've been having fuzzy headaches(not bad just annoying) since I started counting calories and am unsure if it's because I'm not eating enough.

I went on some website and tried to calculate it but to me I feel like its way too many so I never reach what it says, because I want to lose, but now I read that if I don't eat enough, I'm not going to lose any weight either.

It says I should be eating around 2,600.

I'm 19(20 in june)
I'm exactly 6 feet tall.
and I weigh 310 pounds (:()
and obviously I'm a female..

ValRock 04-28-2012 01:24 AM

Try putting your activity level in as sedentary and calculating from there.

You're tall, so you'll have a higher calorie requirement than someone who is much shorter. You probably would lose on 2600, but I think you could go quite a bit lower and be ok, granted you feel ok.

What kinds of foods are you eating?

ElociN2392 04-28-2012 01:49 AM

For breakfast I usually have a whole grain bagel, and a piece of fruit,
and for lunch I have a 100%Whey Protein Shake, With BeneFiber added to it, made with 2% milk,
And for dinner it's usually something completely tonight, but 6 out of 7 times includes a small portion of meat, steamed fresh or frozen veggies, either mashed potatoes or rice.
And if I get hungry in between meals I have fruit or raw veggies..
I only drink water (or that protein shake)
Also will milk make me gain weight since I NEVER drank it before, because I absolutely hate the taste?

ValRock 04-28-2012 01:51 AM

Milk won't make you gain weight... but nobody says you have to drink it. I hate milk. I never drink it!

It doesn't sound like you're getting near enough calories. I'd be dizzy on that much food, too!!

melodymist 04-28-2012 01:52 AM

Don't worry my friend. At first it sounds very confusing but you wil quickly get the hang of it. :hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValRock (Post 4311283)

What kinds of foods are you eating?

Yes, what are you eating? Maybe you could give us a sample of what you ate on the day when you felt dizzy. Are you using any app on your phone or pc to calculate your calorie totals?

sontaikle 04-28-2012 01:55 AM

Milk won't make you gain weight unless you start chugging whole gallons of it. You just need to make sure you count it along with everything else you eat :) The calories in milk count too, after all!

How many calories are you eating now?

While you can go and plug in your information to a billion calorie calculators you really need to go by trial and error. We're all different and those calorie calculators can give you a great start, but ultimately you're going to need to find the right amount for you, not just a person of your height and weight.

Through trial and error I found a calorie count that helped me lose weight, and now I've found one that has helped me maintain. It's different than what the calculators say, but it's working for me :)

ElociN2392 04-28-2012 02:00 AM

Thank you! :)

Well, I was dizzy today I ate the following:

100% whole grain bagel with butter
an apple
a multivitamin
the protein/fiber shake
a handful of blackberries
home made veggi soup
at least 8 glasses of water
and a 1 cup serving of iced tea

I think that's all.

ElociN2392 04-28-2012 02:03 AM

I was using calorie counter for my iphone and computer but it already seems annoying and its only been five days. I do look at the calories on everything I eat and usually add them up in my head, i find that easier and faster and a way to not spend so much time on my phone. I'm usually around 1800 at the most.

ValRock 04-28-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElociN2392 (Post 4311298)
Thank you! :)

Well, I was dizzy today I ate the following:

100% whole grain bagel with butter
an apple
a multivitamin
the protein/fiber shake
a handful of blackberries
home made veggi soup
at least 8 glasses of water
and a 1 cup serving of iced tea

I think that's all.

This right here, can't be more than 1,000 calories. Is this your whole day?

ElociN2392 04-28-2012 02:35 AM

yeah that was my whole day. :/

ValRock 04-28-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElociN2392 (Post 4311309)
yeah that was my whole day. :/

You're not getting nearly enough calories, and the ones you are getting are mostly carbs (the bagel and fruit). Get some healthy fats in your diet and ditch that protein shake for some real food! No wonder you were dizzy!!! Losing weight should not be torture. Nourish your body and it will treat you well! :carrot:

ElociN2392 04-28-2012 02:40 AM

:(
So discouraged!
I don't know what to do, this sucks.
I don't know where to begin, or what to eat.
...I guess I'll probably just remain the same weight then because I thought I was doing well with eating fruit and whole wheat items.

tinkerbell4726 04-28-2012 02:49 AM

I tried sparkpeople when I first started. They have an online calculator and recipes and forums. There is also myfitnesspal that is really popular as well. I eventually transitioned to weight watchers if that is an option for you.

Just because you are trying to eat better doesn't mean you have to eat like your on a diet. You can eat anything you want, as long as you exercise portion control, and make better choices. Losing weight and eating healthy isn't always salads.

The girls here are great. I am mostly a lurker but if you have questions they will help you! Don't give up. You are taking the first step towards a better lifestyle, and it will pay off for you.

You CAN do this! Check out the goal section to get some motivation :)

ElociN2392 04-28-2012 02:56 AM

I so wish that wrightwatchers was an option but I can't afford it.
I do work but I live with my parents and we are definitely a low income family, so all the money I get I help with bills. I had to save forever for this iPhone. Omg sorry for this, I guess I'm venting.
I have looked at the goal section and do regularly, it's very encouraging.
I guess I was just hoping for faster weight loss and I feel as if portion control would just slowly make my weight go down, and it would take years and years to be a weight that I want to be in a year and a half.
I dont know what to do. :(
Thank you for replying though. It means A LOT.

tinkerbell4726 04-28-2012 03:13 AM

I know you feel discouraged about the time but imagine starting today and looking at yourself at a year from now! Can you imagine how healthy and awesome you would feel/look!?! Counting calories is how I lost my first 10lbs. It's tried and true and I'm sure if u calculated the right balance of calories for your needs you could be on ur way to dropping weight in no time! Check out sparkpeople. They are free and you can track your food just like I do for weight watchers! Also I believe my fitness pal is similar, and having an iPhone will help you track it on the go!