3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Start eating some apples! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/257769-start-eating-some-apples.html)

lm3898 04-26-2012 02:12 PM

Start eating some apples!

Just finished this article on yahoo - some of it is definitely known...but I was pretty blown away by #2 - thought I'd share - enjoy!;)

http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/top-10...165700726.html

TOP 10 SUPERFOODS

#2 Slimming superpowers: This fruit's 4 to 5 grams of fiber not only are filling but also help ferry out some of the fat and calories you take in from other foods.

The amazing proof: People who ate an apple 15 minutes before lunching on cheese tortellini consumed 187 fewer calories in total than those who snacked on nothing beforehand, a study from Penn State University in University Park determines. How about them apples?

Of course, eating anything before a meal will probably cause you to consume less in the actual meal - but this is enough for me to add more apple slices to my diet!

gardend1va 04-26-2012 03:39 PM

Good to know! I eat at least one apple daily, because I find it to be the most filling and least calorie-laden snack possible.

Demosthenes 04-26-2012 03:58 PM

I hate apples.

JohnP 04-26-2012 04:10 PM

My dog likes apples.

lm3898 04-26-2012 04:26 PM

Haha - good to know John, my dogs prefer carrots. - I like apples, but I find they never fill me up as long as they should...so I guess I"ll have to start eating them BEFORE my meals.

pixelllate 04-26-2012 07:30 PM

I eat veggies instead of fruit now, but I used to eat apples. They have pectin in the apple skin. In the past, I found that Granny Smith helped with my appetite.

Natasha22 04-26-2012 08:03 PM

I love apples! They're also great sugar blockers.

Fruits that make great sugar blockers are those that have a good balance of fiber to sugar; the best fruit and vegetable sugar blockers are the ones with glycemic loads lower than 50. Golden Delicious apples are great, but you should stay away from varieties such as Fuji and Honeycrisp.

KittyKatFan 04-26-2012 09:57 PM

I like apples. Not the red delicious or the green delicious (or granny smith - too tart), but I like gala apples, Fujis and honeycrisp.

Of course, I like 'em even better when they are enrobed in caramel and chopped peanuts :)

Elladorine 04-26-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4309668)
My dog likes apples.

Heh heh, mine too! Which gives me added incentive to slice up an apple at breakfast or lunch so I have something fun and yummy to share with her. ;)

berryblondeboys 04-26-2012 10:31 PM

I love good apples like Jazz, Pink Lady and sometimes Fuji. I eat one sprinkled generously with cinnamon with 3 tablespoons of Jif almost every single day for lunch. And I still look forward to it every single day like it was the biggest and best treat there was in the world.

Ksquared 04-26-2012 10:41 PM

I Love Pink Ladies with Almond Butter.. SO delish!

sontaikle 04-26-2012 11:13 PM

I find apples so sweet suddenly. I used to love them :(

I used to also hate Pears, but now I love those.

MsBrightside 04-26-2012 11:52 PM

Reading this makes me want an apple now.

threenorns 04-27-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4309668)
My dog likes apples.

do NOT give your dog apples - especially the core:

Quote:

Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, and plum pits contain the toxin cyanide.
Signs of cyanide poisoning include vomiting, heavy breathing, apnea tachycardia, cardiac arrhythmias, coma, skin irritation.
In some cases, antidotes are available. Other treatments include oxygen therapy, fluids and supportive care.
Also take note that the leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.
cyanide is what gives apple seeds that bitter almond taste. humans can handle it in small doses - we'd have to eat a bushel of the things to feel any effect - but dogs are much smaller and far more sensitive than we are.

philana 04-27-2012 09:27 AM

I don't like apples, EXCEPT for fuji apples.

I only eat fuji. But quite often, half an apple in my yoghurt and half an apple with some peanutbutter for a snack. Fuji's are so yummy. They are quite sweet and crunchy.