Cravings. Why?

• So..im NOT pregnant..so thats not an excuse for all these cravings..Its just so weird..i crave the most random things.. For example: I wanted subway for three straight days only because i craved the fresh tomatos that were on the sub sandwich. Then i craved rice. I wanted rice for like two days..and then it was cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches..Its like the most random things ever...Anyone have a clue as to why we crave things??
  • I truly believe, that as women, our hormones dictate a LOT of what we 'crave' - even when it's not necessarily TOM.

That said, I also believe that, as humans, our bodies are very specific in telling us what it NEEDS (and wants). I can actually FEEL my body when it is screaming for protein, or carbs, or something sweet, etc.

AND ... I also believe that when we "overdose" on certain foods, mainly junk food, it triggers the "can't get enough" gene and we continue going overboard. Which is why sometimes it really is better to stay away from our specific trigger foods altogether (I cannot - CANNOT - eat just "one slice" of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. Nope, can't do it!)
  • I agree with Beach Patrol.

Recently I was craving leafy green salads like mad. And red meat which I never crave. Guess, what, just got my lab results back and I'm slightly anemic. My body knew it needed iron.

And then there are all those micro nutrients too.

BUT... when it's a sugar craving- that's different and not a "need it" but an insulin response and I have to work through it and not cave. Otherwise - I listen to my body and give it the foods it wants (if it's wholesome foods).
  • I crave strange things like seaweed (nori) when I'm low on trace mineral and iodine, and eggs quite regularly (probably for the choline). Very normal for hormones, not at all an issue specifically linked to pregnancy.
  • I get weird cravings occasionally. The most recent one that got me strange looks from my husband was when I turned to him and said "I want cheese, gooey melty cheese... but not pizza"... He thinks I'm crazy when I tell him "I've got a craving for something chewy" too. Nothing specific, just chewy. I always blame PMS or stress.
  • OP, are you taking multivitamins? i had really bizarre cravings too at first, but i started taking vitamins and my cravings have nearly stopped. i agree with the people above saying that your body may just be telling you what you are missing from your diet.

here is a link i found helpful:

http://www.femaleforum.com/s/article...ing_your_diet/