Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #1  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Eating well in Disney World?

So yeah, I'm going to Disney World for the first time this week (super duber excited!) with my school band. While I am excited, I don't want to be derailed off my weight loss streak. I was already set back 2 pounds this week. How can I eat well in the hotel continental breakfast as well as the park?
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 226/199/160

Height: 5'8"

hotel breakfasts typically have plenty of fruit. so i would eat that and then a pastry/waffle something like that but just a small piece/one piece. its hard to suggest exactly what to eat since we don't know what will be there, but if worse comes to worse try to order the healthiest thing you can and then watch your portion. maybe only eat half the meal if your unsure of the calories. its probably going to be a lot of guess work...but maybe the restaraunts in disney will have nutrition menus you can ask for?

i went to disney with the band when I was in high school. i wasn't dieting at the time and really can't remember the foods but at any rate...its so fun!! and band is completely awesome!! lol my best memories from high school are all about band. so go have a great time and try not to focus on the food TOO much!
Volschika007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #3  

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volschika007 View Post

i went to disney with the band when I was in high school. i wasn't dieting at the time and really can't remember the foods but at any rate..

lol, omg, me too. took forever to get down there by bus (from nj).

i would say watch portion sizes, steer clear of junk, etc. just make the same choices you've been making. you know what to do! but it might be hard since everyone is in celebratory mode and normally amusement parks could care less about healthy food.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

They've gotten better about food choices in the park. It's still not ideal, but it's better than it was a few years ago. At most of the cafeteria-style restaurants you can get a decent salad or grilled chicken sandwich. I had a cucumber salad with a grilled chicken sandwich in the Magic Kingdom last month that was delicious. (The salad, that is; the sandwich was just a sandwich, and I didn't eat the bread.)

If you're going to be in Epcot at all, there's a great Mediterranean place and a Japanese place that have healthier options.

You can buy fruit pretty much everywhere, too. So you can go to Disney and not gain, and all the walking you do helps as well (though obviously that won't offset any fattening food choices.)

Above all, have fun! It's honestly one of my favorite places in the world. You'll love it.

Last edited by thistoo; 04-17-2012 at 07:05 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #5  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

This link should help you out a lot.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #6  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I'd actually eat as much as I could at the FREE continental breakfast. (within reason, we're not talking about a 2000 cal breakfast~).

That way you'll start off the day well, and after a long day at the park it should be easier to resist a quick fix of bad stuff. It will also save you $$ as you can easily drop $15 a meal at the park.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I haven't been to Disney world since 09, but I do remember healthy options throughout the park. I remember there being turkey wraps in Tomorrowland, for example.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
I'd actually eat as much as I could at the FREE continental breakfast. (within reason, we're not talking about a 2000 cal breakfast~).

That way you'll start off the day well, and after a long day at the park it should be easier to resist a quick fix of bad stuff. It will also save you $$ as you can easily drop $15 a meal at the park.
I agree that eating well at the free continental breakfast is a good start to your day. I have stayed at quite a few simple hotels and worst case scenario I could have had boiled eggs (packaged kind), bananas,apples,black tea or coffee, carton of low fat milk and cereal. Not too bad. I am sure your choices will be more plentiful. I steered clear of the muffins and toaster waffles and bagels. And yes there should be whole wheat toast and jam or peanut butter. And you can walk that off as stated. You may even consider mmmm putting an extra piece of fruit or two in your bag. Just saying.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #9  
too big to fail

Luckyyyyyyyyy! Try to make the best choices possible, allow yourself a little treat here and there, and stop when you are satisfied and not stuffed. Above all, have fun!
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/160.5/125

Height: 5'2

Look at allears.net, they have menus for all of Disney's restaurants. Order kids meals if able!
RazzleBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #11  

Height: 5'5

they have much better choices then they used to have
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Whatever you're gonna eat, I'm sure you'll be walking enough to burn some calories. Once you get to the park, get a map. It'll tell you what restaurants there are with the price range and a general idea of what kind of food they serve. Last time I was at magic kingdom, I remember eating at some place with a salad bar! They had some nice wraps too.

Honestly tho, being at Disney, my last concern would be losing weight!! I'm an avid Disney fan- live like 25 mins away from Disney world!

Have tons of fun!!
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I chaperoned 3 Disney trips when my daughter was in marching band. It is such fun!

First - have a good time. You will be walking a lot and that will take care of a few extra calories. But make good choices. Are you staying in the All-Star resorts where school groups usually stay? They have great meal choices. Eat fruit and lean protein and a small amount of carbs for breakfast to get off to a good start.

Skip ALL the junk food in the parks. Stick to water between meals and maybe fruit. Save the money you would have spent on a churro or sno-cone and get a neat souvenir instead. Let it remind you of your goal.

Every place you eat - even the ones that are on the "meal plan" have good choices like salads. If you want a burger, have it. Take off half the bun and pass up on the fries. Ask for fruit for dessert.

You can do this and have fun at the same time. It's Disney! Fun should be based on what you're doing and not on what you're eating, so I think you'll be fine.

Here's a tip we learned when we were there. You're going to want to drink lots of water because of the heat. Bottled water is expensive. If you buy one bottle (or get a bottle with breakfast) you can fill it all day long. The restaurants will not fill it for you, but any restaurant will give you a large cup of ice that you can then fill and pour into your bottle. The down side is you have to carry the bottle, but just put it in your purse or backpack when you aren't using it. You will save a couple dollars per bottle if you do this!

Good luck with the sensible eating. And remember that if you have a bad day, just start over immediately. Your thin friends will probably gain a couple pounds, too. Just have a ball.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 226/199/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post
Skip ALL the junk food in the parks. Stick to water between meals and maybe fruit. Save the money you would have spent on a churro or sno-cone and get a neat souvenir instead. Let it remind you of your goal.
i absolutely love this idea. what a neat way to stay on track and give yourself a non food reward. get something you'll be excited about...when I went I got a pretty big stuffed tigger i still have decorating my room lol
Volschika007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I cosign what everyone else said. I haven't been to Disneyworld in close to 10 years, but I remember eating plenty of healthy foods at the parks. There are a lot of salads, wraps, and sandwiches at the little convenience restaurants. At the "sit-down" places, there are even more options.

I absolutely despise continental breakfasts because it's usually carb/sugar city, but I love that you can get a free coffee/tea, and some fruit to eat (I'd even stash one in my handbag for later).

Foods like jerky, protein bars (try non-chocolate kinds because of the sun), and single servings of nuts and seeds are so awesome to pack on vacation because they don't need to be refrigerated and you can just put one portion in your handbag each day. You can even pre-portion when you're packing and stick the baggies into your luggage.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote