If you used to have armpit fat... - Page 5 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #61  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
My brain seriously operates in UK sizes, all the brands I love tend to be continental or British! And fortunately some manufacturers here in the US are getting away from our stupidly confusing sizing system, too. And not a moment too soon!
Ditto! I can never keep US sizes straight either. Thankfully Butterfly Collection's calculator lists US sizes too so I always go there to be able to list both. I get SO confused with all the extra D's!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #62  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Oh man, Figleaves is killing me today. I was looking through their current bras and at least half the models in the pictures are wearing the wrong size. On a LINGERIE site. Mashed boobs, quadraboob, armpit boob, creeping back, and maybe one gore in four actually laying like it is supposed to.

Travesty

Fortunately the bras are excellent, but the fitters need to be slapped, who are dressing the models.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-08-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #63  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Oh man, Figleaves is killing me today. I was looking through their current bras and at least half the models in the pictures are wearing the wrong size. On a LINGERIE site. Mashed boobs, quadraboob, armpit boob, creeping back, and maybe one gore in four actually laying like it is supposed to.

Travesty

Fortunately the bras are excellent, but the fitters need to be slapped, who are dressing the models.
I was just noticing this too. Then I saw some video of some bra company and the model was half out of the cup? I guess it looks sexier to have it hanging out there?
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I get that and it is related to my breast shape - mine are teardrop shaped, and not very full on top, thus if it isn't a slightly structured cup (like Ewa, now we know why I love the brand so much ) I get some puckering/rippling in the fabric even when the fit is otherwise perfect.

Unless it is noticeable enough to see through my clothes I ignore it, otherwise pinching the fabric in toward the center gore and stitching it down (almost like a dart) is a good way to take up the excess without real affecting the rest of the cup.

Some brands and cuts are better for breasts like mine than others. Demicups, in particular, and plunges work too. Full cup bras almost guarantee I get the ripples at the top, because I just don't have enough breast tissue to fill that section of the cup. But going down a size or two in the cup often leads to improper fit of the entire cup for me, so I deal with the least evil option. If you're trying on in person, do try going down a cup size and see if that fits better and if not, you're in the boat I'm in
I really want to appriciate the way you study things. I like your "tear drop shape" adjective. I also liked your study about eating 100% fat.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #65  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Thank you, Puneri! I don't eat 100% fat (unless you mean full fat products when I have the choice, and then I definitely do!), but 60-70% by calories is my target in maintenance and has left me healthier than ever in my life. If you're interested in the diet I follow and an excellent book of research supporting it, look here:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?page_id=8

There is an excellent article on breast shapes and how to choose cup styles for them I found so helpful when trying to figure out why the tape measure said one thing, but my size when trying stuff on still seemed off. It turns out not all sizes are created equal, when we're considering the varied geometry of women's breasts, shoulders, ribcages, and even what stage of life they are in. All that affects the fit of a given size or model, and is important to consider.

ETA: here's the article, it's definitely worth a gander: http://www.investinyourchest.co.uk/breast-shapes

I have wide shoulders, a wide root to my breasts, low on my chest, narrow spaced, and full on the bottom. They're awesome and I wouldn't change them if I could, but it does make finding good bra styles tricky! That I am petite just makes it moreso, because the straps have to be very adjustable and the underwires not too tall. It could make your head spin, but fortunately finding good bras is easy, it is finding the 'perfect' bra that eludes me

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-08-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #66  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Fun game!

I've always preferred to go to Nordstrom, get professionally measured and then buy expensive bras. For the last couple of years I've thought of my weight as 'ini transition' (ha!) though, and I've just been buying cheapies at Macys. Generally, depending on where my weight is, I'm in the 36-38 DD range.

But according to that calculator, my measurements (36/46) put me in a US 36J. That sounds HUGE! (But they are huge. Impossible to fit in clothing.) Mama & Running: does 36J sound about right? The measure around the boobs was between 45 and 46 depending on how tight I pulled the tape measure.

I'm just curious enough to go to Figleaves (via running's blog) and order a couple and see if they fit better.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #67  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
Fun game!

I've always preferred to go to Nordstrom, get professionally measured and then buy expensive bras. For the last couple of years I've thought of my weight as 'ini transition' (ha!) though, and I've just been buying cheapies at Macys. Generally, depending on where my weight is, I'm in the 36-38 DD range.

But according to that calculator, my measurements (36/46) put me in a US 36J. That sounds HUGE! (But they are huge. Impossible to fit in clothing.) Mama & Running: does 36J sound about right? The measure around the boobs was between 45 and 46 depending on how tight I pulled the tape measure.

I'm just curious enough to go to Figleaves (via running's blog) and order a couple and see if they fit better.
36J sounds right in the US but if you order from figleaves makes sure to order in your UK size (so 36H). You might also want to check out the blog Curvy Wordy because she's around you size just for comparison. I'd go with the looser measurement around your bust. Those 36-38DD's must be really uncomfortable!

Make sure when you're trying on the bras to lean forward and scoop all you breast tissue into the cups. After wearing too small cups you probably have a lot of migrated breast tissue and that will help with it.

Also, if you're looking for clothes check out BiuBiu and Pepperberry both size by your bust size. I have an order from BiuBiu that I'm waiting on but I've heard amazing things about their clothes!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #68  
June

Oh, and I hear everyone on the figleaves models, ugh!!! Here in Brazil fits is absolutely horrendous (you can see posts that I made about it here and here). I hate it when companies that are supposed to be promoting proper fit can't seem to get it right on the models.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #69  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Running, the figleaves site had me ordering 36GGs in order to match the US J. I've ordered 3 new bras (following a link from your blog) and I'm excited to see whether I'm about to step into a whole new world of comfort. I had thought that the 38DDs fit fairly well, but I think you are right to point to tissue migration, and the discomfort. They don't feel small, just always in need of adjustment.

Thanks! This is exciting.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #70  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
Running, the figleaves site had me ordering 36GGs in order to match the US J. I've ordered 3 new bras (following a link from your blog) and I'm excited to see whether I'm about to step into a whole new world of comfort. I had thought that the 38DDs fit fairly well, but I think you are right to point to tissue migration, and the discomfort. They don't feel small, just always in need of adjustment.

Thanks! This is exciting.
Good luck and I hope they fit really well!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #71  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I just looked and Lane Bryant does actually have the sizes y'all are mentioning (Although they're in DD and DDD as opposed to E and F), so I'm glad for that. They're having a great buy 2 get 1 free sale right now so next week I'm gonna go get some bras! YAY!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #72  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
I just looked and Lane Bryant does actually have the sizes y'all are mentioning (Although they're in DD and DDD as opposed to E and F), so I'm glad for that. They're having a great buy 2 get 1 free sale right now so next week I'm gonna go get some bras! YAY!
I think DDD=E and DD=DD?

I'm used to UK sizing now... but I think that's how it goes in the US?
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #73  

Height: 5'0"

Thank you!! That really helps, ladies!
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

So Artic,
You do not eat pulses hmm. I have recently read pulses are better food choice. I am trying to replace some of my proteins by pulses. I know pulses contain carbs and proteins. But, I do not eat rice or pasta.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #75  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Thank you, Puneri! I don't eat 100% fat (unless you mean full fat products when I have the choice, and then I definitely do!), but 60-70% by calories is my target in maintenance and has left me healthier than ever in my life. If you're interested in the diet I follow and an excellent book of research supporting it, look here:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?page_id=8
Holy Moly, thank you for posting this!!!

I have kept a food journal for the last several months, trying to pin down what makes me feel cruddy and what makes me feel good.

Cruddy list:
Grains, Peanuts, HFCS, Sugar, Corn, Beans, Canola oils

Good list:
Eggs, Veg, Low glycemic fruits, Meats (though I avoid beef because I really just don't like it that much), Coconut products, Basmati rice (this is why I found your link so interesting!), Sweet potatoes (been avoiding white... maybe I don't need to?), fermented dairy (not so great on plain dairy, but I tolerate it better than the stuff on the above list).

Anyway, I want to read more about this, it's fascinating . Thanks!!!

Last edited by ValRock; 04-08-2012 at 06:11 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote