3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Who uses a food scale (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/255811-who-uses-food-scale.html)

superchick36 03-28-2012 04:49 PM

Who uses a food scale

My daughter and I are both Type 1 diabetics and were told by her doctor to start using a food scale. They want us to be more precise on the amount of carbs were eating. I bought one at Target and love it. It does take a little more planning on my part but showed me I was really under estimating on are carb intake. I used it all day today and was amazed how off I've been on not just carbs but fat, calories, etc... Was just curious if anyone else has had good luck using a food scale to help in there weight loss journey.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place:o

SisterFunk 03-28-2012 04:50 PM

I use one and I love it. Makes me realize how off my ideas of portion sizes were.

PinkLotus 03-28-2012 05:22 PM

I use one and couldn't live without it! Mine is a Weight Watchers food scale, so it also will tell me how many points something is, which is great. Instead of having to always have the serving size, or exactly half or double, I just slap an amount on the scale, enter the info in, and it tells me how many points for how much I've put on the scale. Or it'll just tell me the weight of the food if that's all I need to know.
I highly recommend them! (Not just the WW scales, but food scales in general).

LockItUp 03-28-2012 05:55 PM

YES! They're great. Love mine!

kcoftx 03-28-2012 05:56 PM

I do. I use it mainly for certain high calorie foods such as meat, cheese and nuts. I also use it for hard to measure stuff like strawberries.

Only Me 03-28-2012 06:06 PM

I've been planning to buy one for ages. Not just for weightloss purposes either. Most UK recipes are in weights rather than cups for flour, sugar, etc. and my mil always gets frustrated trying to bake while she's visiting us.

Steve Troutman 03-28-2012 06:11 PM

I invested a couple of years of using a food scale diligently. That was years ago. At this point in my journey though, it's simply unnecessary and I prefer to do it with my eyeballs.

I've found that everyone's different when it comes to relying on a scale or not. For some, it's overkill and applies too much rigidity to the process. For others it's their lifeblood.

One thing's for certain though... I think almost everyone should start out with using one. It can be quite eyeopening in terms of understanding servings sizes, energy density, and total daily intake. The insight it can provide is invaluable.

JudgeDread 03-28-2012 06:22 PM

I use a digital food scale for almost everything except liquids. It is more accurate than using measureing cups! LOVE IT!

DaugT 03-28-2012 06:31 PM

me me!!!
I use it mainly for cereal, nuts, and meat.
Every once in a while I'll throw a piece of fruit or something else on there and recheck the calories online just to make sure I am staying inline.

It definitely is a portion control eye-opener!! Love it!!

bargoo 03-28-2012 06:55 PM

I jusrt recently started using one and already I have learned that I was underestimating measurements that I was using before. I have a Wolfgang Puck digital scale that I got through HSN.

twinieten 03-28-2012 07:07 PM

I've been using one so long, I've become pretty good at eyeballing portion size too! I love my food scale!

ubskinnyagain75 03-28-2012 08:54 PM

Yep, I weigh my protein to make sure I am getting enough. I only weigh it "after" it cooks (not before). I also use measuring cups for veggies and meausuring spoons for condiments. I need the structure.

summerlove 03-28-2012 09:01 PM

I weigh pretty much everything now!! before, I was totally off with portion sizes for cheese and fruit especially. I can't believe i tried to lose weight without it :-)

juliana77 03-28-2012 10:56 PM

It makes my life so much easier. Love my food scale!

emmy13 03-28-2012 11:10 PM

I love mine! I started using it to really learn what portion sizes were. I needed a "back to basics" approach, I never thought much about portion size before I bought the scale. I was easily eating 3-4 portions of everything before :o