Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/199/160

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Stuck at the same weight for over a month...advice?

So this is my third attempt trying to post this...firefox didn't seem to want to do it so now im attempting it using internet explorer. Really sorry if this thread ends up popping up multiple times.

Firstly, I'm new here so i'd like to say hi to everyone I hope I'm putting this thread in the right place...

So I've lost a total of 21 pounds so far, but its taken me a really long time. I actually started in June of 2011. I've been stuck at a weight of 205 for a month now. There was 1 week out of that month that I cheated some because I was on vacation, but other than that I have really counted every single calorie that goes into my mouth.

I'm currently eating between 1,100 and 1,200 calories a day and I'm also walking a mile several days a week. I've been attempting to do this by only eating right because in the past the exercise part is what has caused me to stop doing it...I just really hate exercise (don't we all?)

I don't mind losing weight really slow, but it really really bugs me to get stuck for this long when I feel like im working so hard! Any advice would be very appreciated.

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to set up a signature on here? I've been browsing through settings and don't see anything...
Volschika007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #2  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

You can't get a sig until you've been here I think 20 days or a month? something like that.

Try upping your calories, to 1300 - 1500.

I eat between 1500 - 2000 and I still lose weight, so maybe you're not eating enough? Take the time to experiment with this as well because everyone is different some things work for some, and for other's it does.

I for one when I don't count calories I lose weight and I'm not as hungry. Some people can't do that. When I count calories I constantly obsess find myself more hungry and it's a losing battle. Some people (most people) can do it without it affecting them.

Keep a food diary, I used to write down my thoughts when I was counting calories.. where did I start falling? Why was I hungry? What should I do differently for the next day.

It's a life style change that's grey, it's not just simple black and white. If you've done this before and failed go look back as to WHY you failed, figure out what you need to do differently. If this is something you're just starting, research, ask questions but also do what feel's right for you.

I listen to a lot of Jilliamn Michael's POD cast, I read books, I come on here lol.

Sometimes when we go through this, a certain thing will work and then we have to do something to shock the body for it to continue on working. I always find myself revamping my life style change for whether I add in harder workouts, or if I'm working out less. etc...

By the way congrats on the 21 pound lose that's awesome! keep it up!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

Welcome
You might have plateaued, I've heard of that sometimes happening after 20 or so pounds. Like the previous poster suggested, maybe try increasing your calories, as weird as it sounds. Or maybe try adding in some weight training.
Also remember that you may be losing inches, even if the scale isn't reflecting that.
As for the signature, if I remember correctly, you need to have a certain amount of posts and be a member for a certain length of time before you can have one.
Good luck
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #4  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I think you've adapted to your calories (which seem very low to being with). Since you can't go down, go up! I am a firm believer that eating too few calories causes our weight loss to stall. I was try and eat 1300-1500 for 2 weeks to see if that helps at all.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #5  

Thanks a bunch guys I'll definitely try increasing my calories for a while and see if i can start losing again. *fingers crossed* for it to work!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #6  

Likely its just water retention-your body will retain water at such a high deficit. It happened to me once, and I was curious, so I took some Diurex (not regularly, only once) and lost a ton of water weight.
Your metabolism will slow down over time if its at a very severe deficit (there was a study of men who had to eat 1500 cals a day-super low for adult men, and their metabolism slowed down 10-15%)-that metabolic slowdown is not enough to offset you losing weight because you are at such a huge deficit.
Either keep waiting you will probably get a "woosh" of water weight, or increase your cals so your body can lose the water weight right away.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I definitely agree with upping your calories. And when you do, give it some time. Have you thought about adding some weight training to your regime? Change it up and I'd bet within a month you will be losing again!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #8  

What sort of weight training do you think would be good? The only weights I have access to are dumbbells between 5-30 pounds. I also have an elliptical machine.

I really hope it is just water weight! I'm definitely going to try increasing calories. As much as it makes me freak out a little to do it, I think its worth a try.

And thanks again
Old 03-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #9  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I think just about any would be good going from nothing at all. Even body weight stuff, squats, push ups, lunges etc. There's tons you could do between that and the dumbbells you have! Just keep in mind you will have some water weight from this that WILL go away, so don't freak!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #10  

Ok thanks Maybe I'll check out what fitness routines are on demand that have weight training sort of stuff.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volschika007 View Post
What sort of weight training do you think would be good? The only weights I have access to are dumbbells between 5-30 pounds. I also have an elliptical machine.

I really hope it is just water weight! I'm definitely going to try increasing calories. As much as it makes me freak out a little to do it, I think its worth a try.

And thanks again
I know what you mean-after a few weeks, sometimes I increase my cals for 1-2 days to see results, then I go back to plan because I still want to maintain my usual deficit. If its not water retention-its only one day of increased cals and its not like I am eating an excess of 3500 cals, so I'm not even actually gaining a pound.

I would watch Youtube vids on weight training, I'm sure that they have "beginner's lessons"
Just to warn you, some people experience some temporary water retention when they weight train, so don't be freaked out if that happens!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #12  

Good idea Thanks!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Weight is lost by there being a deficit of calories. The more you exercise, the less you have to reduce your diet, but it all works out in the end. You have a calorie level at which you'll neither increase or decrease your weight. In dieting, the closer you get to this point calorie-wise, the slower you'll lose weight until you stop completely. Unless there's some water-retention issues going on, then it would appear that you're expending too few calories at the end of the day - either by eating more calories than you realize or by not exercising enough. I can't say how many calories you're truly burning every day, but if you're not losing with that and your current amount of exercise stays the same, then eating more is not going to somehow make you lose weight. It will slow you down even further.

Last edited by tricon7; 03-30-2012 at 04:38 PM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #14  

lol definitely. but i'm assuming it only works if you're eating as few calories as i am to begin with
Old 03-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/163/145

Do you eat the same amount of calories consistently? Try giving yourself 1 cheat day for every 6 days to count - up the calories and it should help trick your metabolism
ghlover is offline   Reply With Quote