Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default My 12 Week Plan...

Tear it apart if you want... I don't care. I do better with "cold turkey" type of changes in my diet. It'll be H E double toothpicks for the first couple of weeks... but after that it'll be a bit easier... and if it's not... oh well. It'll get easier.

I'm wanting to be in kind of tip top shape in 11 weeks (12 weeks if I'm including the week before I get to see my parents, 11 weeks for just my little brother, who I'm meeting in Paris a week before). And I'm also wanting to get into great shape so that I can hopefully go running with my older brother, hike up a couple mountains with him, and do all of the things I haven't been able to do. I also want to be able to no longer have my belly flab, and be able to wear a bikini when I'm at the beach.

So... here's my plan:

Week 1 -
Raw Foods (vegan appropriate dressing is OK for this week)
100 oz of water minimum (right now I drink around 120 oz of diet soda... I NEED to cut that out, and I do like the water at my dorm... so I just need to make the switch... my wallet will thank me later)
Tea is OK to drink in addition (no honey or sugar or similar... which I don't have anyways)
30 min a day of either yoga or pilates (I have videos for each, I want it to be a regular morning routine)

Week 2 -
Raw Foods (no dressing)
100 oz water minimum
Tea is OK
30 min a day yoga or pilates
C25K on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday

Week 3 -
Raw Foods
Start some strength training Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday

Week 4 -
mostly Raw Foods
1 cooked veggie/fruit/nut/bean serving a day
Strength training Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday

Week 5 -
mostly Raw
1 serving non-gluten grain (rice or corn, I'm gluten intolerant)
1 serving cooked veggie/fruit/nut/bean
C25K Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (to mix it up)
Strength training Monday, Wednesday, and Friday

Week 6 -
vegan diet (whole foods, no animal products or by-products, cooked and raw)
C25K Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday

Week 7 -
vegan diet
C25K Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday

Week 8-11 -
vegan diet
C25K Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Strength training Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday

Week 12 (I'll be overseas at this point, no access to weights and stuff, but I'll probably have some strengthening exercises to do that don't require weights) -
vegan diet
30 min to an hour run everyday
30 min a day yoga/pilates

So... yeah.

It's kinda started today... mostly starting Sunday (tomorrow morning).

I am allowing myself some leeway, but the leeway would be like... if I want more than just plain raw foods, I can have some applesauce (I REALLY like applesauce) or perhaps my favorite drink from starbucks, an iced chai latte with soy... something like that. Or I can skip a workout if I need to go do something that day, or whatever. But the vegan diet is for life... not just for "now". I need to cut out the dairy and gluten for my health... and I'm not a fan of eggs or meat... so those'll be easy. So... yeah. Strict vegetarian diet is what it'd actually be... I have nothing against using fur and products with animal in them... or with people eating meat, as long as it was killed humanely and... if it was raised and not wild, kept and raised in a very safe and humane environment.

So... yeah.

Tomorrow I'll get some pictures and have a "before". I can't right now because I'm at my Grandparents' and my camera is out of charge, and the battery charger (it has a special battery) is in my dorm room, and I'll just post updates and stuff on here, hoping to do weekly pictures so that I have a good timeline of it all.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #2  
too big to fail

I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor, but I have lots of experience with vegan/raw diets. It's going to be really, really hard. Also, why raw? I know raw is super trendy right now, but cooking improves the bioavailability of vitamins and makes your food easier to digest. The healthiest (and most sensible) plan is a mixture of cooked and raw veggies.

That said, watch your macronutrient ratios. Make sure you are getting enough protein and fat, which will make the transition much easier. I have been vegan so I know it is easy to get enough protein (to live) but you want to make this as easy as possible for yourself within the guidelines you set. Eat lots of nuts, nut butters, seitan, tempeh, tofu, beans, and whole grains!

I know you have a time line but I seriously recommend transitioning to vegan without a calorie/portion limit for at least two weeks. That gives your body the time to adjust to new foods, more fiber, and different nutrients. After your body has adjusted THEN it is okay to start fiddling with portions and calories. Or, if you want to restrict your calories you should do so and then slowly transition to veganism.

I've done hardcore cold turkey transitions and in many cases I recommend them but my last major diet change began with a switch to different types of food followed by calorie control- not all at once. Also think about investing in a good vegan multivitamin (b12 is your friend), and make sure you are getting plenty of fat and plenty of protein... it is easy to become an unhealthy vegan.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #3  

You will be so tired at the end of the 11th week with a so unhealthy diet (if you hold until then...) that I wonder if you will enjoy the holiday.
I am not even talking about the consequences on your body...
I know you want to lose weight to feel good etc... But this diet will not help you and I doubt you will reach your goal. There are so many other ways for you to lose your extra fat and still be healthy that I don't understand why you have to follow a 'programme' that is so drastic and unhealthy. And even if you manage to lose the weight you want you will gain it back as soon as you stop it...
happyshakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yet another crazy diet plan...

With so many nutritionally sound plans out there, why reinvent the wheel? Especially given that this wheel isn't round! That is, it won't get you where you want to go.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #5  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

3 weeks without fat or protein!? That's a terrible idea! Your body will absolutely hate you for it.

If you want to do a vegan diet, that's fine, but you need to make sure that you are getting all the nutrients you need for your body to function properly. Fat. Protein.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #6  

No fat or protein? Not at all. I will be eating nuts, legumes (just non cooked), etc. I also take a b12 (one vitamin supplement) and a b6 (I think, it is a mix of several b vitamins). I HAVE done something similar to this (minus the exercise) in the past. Did fine, spent five months as a vegetarian after eating raw for two weeks. Then it ended.

Also... Did I put it and forget? For the first three weeks there is going to be no caloric limit. Aiming for under 2000, but if I end up going over that due to nuts or whatever, so be it.

I appreciate the concern, but this is something I have kind of done before, and I had SO much more energy, my skin cleared up, and I just felt SO SO SO much better overall... Then I went off because it was easy to just stop (friends and family outings), so yeah.

Feel free to disagree, and any vitamin concerns or recommendations or different fruits of vegetables (no matter how obscure) are welcome.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #7  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

First off, I'm glad to see you posting again, I was worried about you when you left last November.

I'll second the concerns of others about raw veggies often don't allow your body to make the most use of the nutrients. In fact, some things like broccoli apparently aren't very good for you raw but are quite good for you when they are cooked. Whatever other concerns I might have about your diet plans I honestly don't get why you'd go for "only raw" the first few weeks.

I also agree with healthyshakes that you'll be too weak at the end of 3 months of this diet to enjoy your vacation but I'm hopeful you'll moderate things after a week or two and go for a more balanced healthy diet. In the end you'll lose just as much weight and be much stronger and healthier.

Good luck! And don't pull a disappearing act again please.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Yet another crazy diet plan...

With so many nutritionally sound plans out there, why reinvent the wheel? Especially given that this wheel isn't round! That is, it won't get you where you want to go.

Jay
Just what I was thinking!

Serbrider, honey, about every 6 months you start posting again and you have some great revolution about how you are going to drop x amount of weight in x amount of time. It's always some crash fad diet and you never last but a week or 2 on whatever crazy plan you invent for yourself. If you would have picked a healthy non-restrictive plan 2 years ago, you would have made it to your goal within 6 -8 months and still be there.

There is an old saying that goes something like this: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Why don't you just count your calories, move more and lay off the junk food? You'll lose weight and it won't make your body go crazy doing it. Please.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 03-18-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #9  

True, I may come on here with a new plan. All the time. Welcome to my life. Just "plain ol' calorie counting" was also one of those plans. About every six months I've also had to move, like, to a completely different country, a different way of life. Yeah, today's only day 1, nowhere near over, but I'm feeling and doing great. Maybe I'll change it and make the raw only a week. But I NEED that, otherwise I can't wean myself off of the junk. I've tried... Again and again and again, in a hundred different ways, and doing it like this had the longest lasting result.

I'm probably just a stupid insane immature little girl. That's ok. I am. I have made a lot of bad choices in the past, and maybe this is just another. I'm not looking for y'all to pat me on the back and support poor choices, but this HAS worked the longest for me in the past, in stopping the crap eating and making me more aware of the food I put into my body. It made me feel "right"... And I loved it. Did it cause weight loss? No... Not much, because my calorie portions were still high, and I wasn't adding any exercise.

Im not doing this to please you guys. I've been thinking, and to be honest, I'm not doing this to even lose weight and have a perfect figure. I'm doing this because I want to be healthy, and I want to get back to (or develop) a mindset of food and exercise in a way of it benefiting my body. Getting all my vitamins and nutrients, developing my muscles so that I can be a better rider, so I can have fun with friends, so I can feel happy. And when I had eaten raw (done the juicing for 20 days, and then the next 20 days I ate healthily, but I didn't think about food as anything but a source of palatable pleasure, so nothing stuck longer), I had felt amazing. Lots of energy, clear mind, and like everything was working like it should.

If I'm crazy for wanting that again, but with more knowledge, more understanding, then, ok, that's me.

I'm learning, I'm calculating my amounts of fat, protein, vitamins, minerals, etc etc. But why can't I learn along the way? I don't know everything, and I might change stuff along the way (not the basic veganism premise and doing yoga/pilates, those are the main two things I want to do for the rest of my life... The rest is well... The rest). But that's for me to decide based on what kind of new information I've learned about my body's needs. So... For now... It's a "plan", but I've decided today that it can change... If it needs to...
Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #10  

So far so good! I have switched it up a bit. I'm eating mostly raw, but I have had some cooked stuff. Primarily stuff like legumes to help me get my protein. Really enjoying it all, feeling good, loving my daily yoga (ended up just learning a variety of positions that I do for 20-30 minutes before I go to bed, hoping I can make myself wake up early enough to do some in the morning). I'm also looking forward to running and doing the strength exercises. So far just a two pound loss, most likely just water loss since my sodium intake is WAY down and water content is up.

So... Not quite what I was originally thinking of doing (I'm kind of moving straight over to gluten free vegan instead of the three weeks of raw), but that's ok. As long as most of my food is whole fresh foods, all's good.

Pictures will come, I do need a "before"... Camera battery needs to charge. Should have it later today.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #11  
too big to fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
I'm probably just a stupid insane immature little girl.
You're acting pretty defensive for someone who asked for a diet plan critique. . People are just concerned that you may be repeating past mistakes. We all hope that you stick to your new plan and lose a ton of weight and get healthy.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Sebrider,

How do you better with "cold turkey"?

I'm sorry, but Lori is right.

"Cold turkey" is for addictions. If you are an addict, then you need more help, like OA or whatever.

Nobody here thinks you are an immature little girl, it's just that you do this repetitively and try and convince yourself that it's the only way you can succeed. It's been almost 2 years since you've joined, it's clear that your "cold turkey" or extreme methods do not lead to long-term success.

There are women here who are 2-3x your age and have been where you have. MILLIONS of women have been there, it's the standard extreme dieting/eating pattern that millions do every year and fuel all those fad diet cook books. BILLION dollar industry. And for what? Many of them have success now by living life in moderation and without resorting to extremes - something they could have done 10, 20, 30 years ago and probably regret not doing it then.

I don't claim to know it all but I have maintained for 8 years now. And I know most of the maintainers here. None of them got there through extreme dieting. Not a single one I can think of.

Last edited by sacha; 03-21-2012 at 11:12 AM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #13  

Thanks. i hadnt actually asked for a critique, but I'm sorry if I came off as defensive... As I'm doing now, I have some pathological need to explain myself in full... And sometimes I end up "twisting" people's words... But the majority of the time I end up agreeing with at least one part of their statement. And so... It either is defensive, or seems as though it is. But either way, I am sorry.

I really am enjoying this, I feel good, and yeah, I'm only 4 days into it... But I had only a couple cravings and then they were gone. I am monitoring my fats, proteins, carbs, sodium, sugar, vitamins, etc. And after I kind of "get" which foods I need to eat for this or that, this is definitely something I can do long-term.

So... Yeah. Really really trying hard to not let my rambling come off as defensive. I was upset about being insinuated as being "insane", but I need to not focus on that but the rest of the wonderful advice I had gotten.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #14  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Here's a quick summation of your "diet plan" (your words!)
Quote:
#1 "Tear it apart if you want... I don't care."

#2 "I'm wanting to be in kind of tip top shape in 11 weeks"

#3 "I'm also wanting to get into great shape so that I can hopefully go running with my older brother, hike up a couple mountains with him, and do all of the things I haven't been able to do."

#4 "I also want to be able to no longer have my belly flab, and be able to wear a bikini when I'm at the beach."

#5 "I am allowing myself some leeway..."

#6 "if I want more than just plain raw foods, I can have some applesauce (I REALLY like applesauce) ...or perhaps my favorite drink from starbucks, an iced chai latte with soy... something like that. Or I can skip a workout if I need to go do something that day, or whatever."

I HAVE done something similar to this (minus the exercise) in the past. Did fine, spent five months as a vegetarian after eating raw for two weeks. Then it ended."
Ok, "then it ended." ...??? perhaps you should examine WHY it ended. Was it because you just couldn't stick to it? Most "crazy diets" seem to suffer from that very problem.

Quote:
#7 "Did I put it and forget? For the first three weeks there is going to be no caloric limit. Aiming for under 2000, but if I end up going over that due to nuts or whatever, so be it."
Ok - going "over" your X-amount of calories is usually a dead-end halt to weight loss. I thought you wanted to LOSE weight? In general, the mathematical equation for weight loss is to simply burn more calories than you take in. Whether you eat only raw or completely give up junk food, or exercise yourself into a coma (whatever) your bottom line must be burn more than you take in. That's how the human body works. It's a scientific fact, & we can't UNDO OR IGNORE that fact.

Quote:
#8 "Maybe I'll change it and make the raw only a week. But I NEED that, otherwise I can't wean myself off of the junk. I've tried... Again and again and again, in a hundred different ways, and doing it like this had the longest lasting result."
Until "it ended" - right?

Quote:
#9 "I'm not doing this to please you guys. I've been thinking, and to be honest, I'm not doing this to even lose weight and have a perfect figure."
Oh really? - may I refer you to your earlier statements #3 and especially #4?

Quote:
#10 "For now... It's a "plan", but I've decided today that it can change... If it needs to..."
AND
Quote:
#11 "I have switched it up a bit..."
(this is just 4 days after you made your "plan")

Ok ... now... here's my response:

The main thing I consider to be your problem is that you have NO COMMITMENT to whatever "plan" you come up with. We are all here for the same reason - TO LOSE WEIGHT. Some for health reasons, some for vanity reasons, some for both reasons. We have different ways of achieving that goal - move more, eat less seems to be the #1 way to go for most people, altho many have had tremendous success with programs such as Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, Paleo, etc. But really, those "diets" are just DIFFERENT WAYS to take in LESS CALORIES. What works for some may not work for others. I know I could never engage in a diet plan that eschews (what a word!) macaroni & cheese! - which is why even tho I lost weight on South Beach, I couldn't MAINTAIN THAT LOSS, because I kept getting "stuck" & then I'd give up because it wasn't WORKING for me, even tho I'd chosen something that could NEVER "work for me".

Weight loss is a process - and after weight loss comes maintenance. If you can't stick to your plan for four days, what makes you think you can stick to it for 12 weeks or beyond? Because basically, if you lose the desired amount of weight, you'll gain it back (probably even more than you lost) when you return to old habits, which is what you seem to do (ALMOST everyone is guilty of that - me included!!!)

Simply put: you need to find the plan that works for you & then MAKE THAT PLAN WORK by continuing that plan FOR LIFE. Yes, I said FOR LIFE. Because once you lose the weight, maintenance is a LIFE LONG endeavor. When you finally bow to that mindset, you WILL find the plan that works for you & you will lose the weight & you will be able to maintain it - all without the constant bouncing back & forth from plan to plan to plan and growing ever frustrated after a few days or weeks because you didn't lose any weight or didn't lose it as fast as you thought you should.

I SAY THIS WITH LOVE & UNDERSTANDING BECAUSE I'VE BEEN THERE. Uncountable "diets" throughout 35 years of my 48-year life. Lost weight, gained weight... at least 7 times... 10 pounds, 60 pounds... and FINALLY, after all this **** I've put myself thru, I can FINALLY say that counting calories and moderate exercise is the way I can FINALLY do this - FOREVER.

You owe it to yourself to be honest with yourself about WHY you want to lose weight (there is no "wrong/right" - there is just YOUR reasons for YOUR body) and to find a plan that works for you that is healthy & sustainable for the long haul.

And I wish you all the luck in the world!!!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #15  

Thanks for letting me know all my flaws and failures. Sorry to bother you guys.