Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #16  
Taking it 1lb at a time!

S/C/G: 291/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

My DH lost weight by cutting out soda, but he was downing like at least 20 cans a week. Yikes! He had horrible headaches and cravings going cold turkey so I told him to filter in a soda every now and then to help with that. That was last fall. We drink Diet now, usually between 1-5 cans total each sometimes non at all. Diet soda alone wont help in the calorie department, but it does still have sodium and contributes to water weight gain if you drink a lot of it.

Honestly though I think its good that you have decided to get of the soda all together. While 1 can a day wont kill you, its not really "good" for you either. Plus starting the day off with healthy choices just sets you up for success to stay OP the rest of the day.

Last edited by CocoTruffles; 02-22-2012 at 02:45 PM.
CocoTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #17  
Sarah

S/C/G: 172/ticker/125

Height: 5´4.5

I have always known soda is bad for you and I go through phases of drinking and not drinking any (diet only) and have never noticed a weight drop from stopping. I know it is bad for you, but I still enjoy it whenever I go out...=)
lovemydoggiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

<<I was drinking at least 4 cans of regular soda a day (yikes!) and I gave it up but didn't lose any weight from it at all.>>

Do you think you replaced it with calories from another source? (Not assuming, just wondering.)

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

No I don't think so. In fact, in causes me to drink less during my meals so I concentrate more on what I'm eating, and less on the lifelong habit of taking a drink after every bite. To be honest, I think not drinking the pop has drastically changed my urge to snack during the day also. Snacks and pop go together for me - without the pop, the snack isn't so appealing.
tonimaroni2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I went almost a year without caffeine, soda, or artificial sweeteners, because I have fibromyalgia and autoimmune issues, and some folks with these issues report symptom improvement when them up. I decided it was worth trying.

I not only didn't notice any difference in my appetite, hunger, cravings, weight, energy level, or any other health issues, I kept a symptom log, so I had actual proof of it.

I was still having a lot of fatigue issues, so I asked my doctor about possible medications, he recommended caffeine as the safest and I asked about artificial sweeteners and diet sodas. He said that I had been off them long enough, that if I were going to experience problems such as headaches, I would notice them right away.

I didn't, so I do still drink diet beverages. I do drink less caffeine and use less artificial sweeteners than I did before quitting, but the benefits are worth it to me.

As for artificial sweeteners increasing overall hunger or sugar/carb-cravings, I've found that to be somewhat true - but FAR, FAR LESS SO than real sugar does. So for me, non-caloric sweeteners are the lesser evil. Other carbs increase my hunger as well more so than artificial sweeteners.

I've learned from experience, that I can acheive the lowest hunger levels by eliminating all carbs and sweet foods, but I'm not sure the results are worth it. So, instead I try to find a balance I can live with. I have fewer issues with the artificial sweeteners than I do the real sugars in even healthy foods (dried fruit is a trigger food for me, so I have to be very careful with it. I can sprinkle a few raisins on a salad with some protein and be fine, but I can't eat them by the handful without wanting more and more and just generally being hungrier than if I had not eaten anything at all).

Last edited by kaplods; 02-22-2012 at 06:54 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #21  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Diet soda is one of the last "unhealthy" things I have left. I tried kicking the habit after Christmas and actually GAINED weight. I was replacing sipping on a Coke Zero with munching on something, and I was tired, and it wasn't good. I just felt yucky. I drink a can a day in the afternoon. I'm also on RX Caffeine for Lupus fatigue now so I may try again. I'm not too thrilled with the artificial sweetener...
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

I used to drink a *lot* of diet Coke; have cut way way back to almost zero. I find that (for me) I don't crave sweets as much and generally feel better. Now drink more water, and have switched from 2 cups decaf coffee in the morning to one cup decaf and one cup green tea.
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #23  
Ted's Pants!

S/C/G: 223/223/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
<<I was drinking at least 4 cans of regular soda a day (yikes!) and I gave it up but didn't lose any weight from it at all.>>

Do you think you replaced it with calories from another source? (Not assuming, just wondering.)

Freelance
I just sort of switched to water at the time. Granted, a week later I started actively dieting and I've lost about 4 pounds in the two weeks since i started with calorie counting and being on a diet. Maybe quitting soda contributed to that as well? Though, in that first week after kicking the habit I didn't see any weight loss. I dunno. I could be wrong about something
BananaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 120/104/fit

Height: 5"3

Well it's ok you'll just get cancer.

Last edited by Magalo; 02-23-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Magalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #25  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

The worst and most dangerous carcinogens in the average household environment aren't those that come from food ingredients and additives.

Perfumes, air fresheners, disinfectants, insecticides, household cleaners, furniture and upholstery, carpeting, paints, soaps, shampoos, cosmetics, laundering products, plastics, are usually of much higher risk.

But it's a lot easier to get people to give up their diet sodas than their cosmetics, air fresheners and fabric softeners. And people tend to think that soaps and cleansers can't be bad for you, after all they kill evil bacteria (bacteria that is often safer than the products used to kill them).

Last edited by kaplods; 02-23-2012 at 10:39 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #26  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
The worst and most dangerous carcinogens in the average household environment aren't those that come from food ingredients and additives.

Perfumes, air fresheners, disinfectants, insecticides, household cleaners, furniture and upholstery, carpeting, paints, soaps, shampoos, cosmetics, laundering products, plastics, are usually of much higher risk.

But it's a lot easier to get people to give up their diet sodas than their cosmetics, air fresheners and fabric softeners. And people tend to think that soaps and cleansers can't be bad for you, after all they kill evil bacteria (bacteria that is often safer than the products used to kill them).
This is so true!! I've replaced everything in the cleaning cabinet with Vinegar, castille soap, rubbing alcohol, washing soda, peroxide, baking soda, borax, and essential oils. We all feel better!

Last edited by ValRock; 02-23-2012 at 10:48 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 218.8/155.0/150

Height: 5'05

I gave up pop and fast food and droped 33 pounds prety fast!!
Samanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #28  
KakeJ

S/C/G: 295/195/175

Height: 5'91/2"

Yes and no. If you are only drinking a can or two of diet pop, it won't work. But in the past I have switched from regular pop and anything carbonated to wate and or green iced tea w/ honey or just lemon, and have dropped 10lbs. I do think the corn syrup in regular pop at 2 to 3 cans a day add up.
kakeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #29  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Years ago I gave up diet Pepsi...it was a huge addiction...actually literally would say I NEED a diet Pepsi. I also drank club soda or seltzer to quench thirst, so I stuck with that when I dumped the Pepsi. Honestly, for the things I don't eat/drink, I should be a twig. Since July '11, I drink water. I will have coffee, probably 1 per day, with skim milk, but these 3 fluids are all I drink now and the bulk of my liquid is water.

While it is healthier to avoid both regular and diet soda (who knows what the artificial sweeteners will do to us long term) it hasn't made a difference in my weight loss. Also, I avoid artificial sweeteners altogether. If I want something sweet, I have a bit of something and don't go overboard. It is rare tho that I want a sweet.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

When I switched from regular soda to diet Coke, I was eliminating sugar from my life, so yes, I did lose. I eventually gave up diet Coke too because the artificial sweetener didn't sit well with my body anyway. I hung to it because I am addicted to the bubbles. Now, I just drink sparkling water.

The best thing I could have done for my health and my mind was to give up soda. I was addicted to it, in a weird and strange way, even the diet Coke. It wasn't only associated with the sugar in the soda, it was the combination of the soda with everything else.

I know I still drink sparkling water, so I guess the addiction isn't completely gone. But my goal is to reach a point where I only drink that once in a while.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote