Dumping Water Weight

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi all!

I need some non-convetional tips on how to drop this bloat I've been having for a week.

Things I've been doing:

-cut carbs more than usual
    -cut sugar
    -cut salt
    -drinking 12 cups of water (i can't drink more due to time restrictions, trust me im trying!)
    -i dont drink alcohol
    -had some tea which is a diuretic

Also:

-took an extra day off exercising so i'm not sore
    -I don't get TOM so I have no clue

Despite all this my scale went up another 2lbs and my measurements are still high from when they skyrocketed a week ago, and I gained another inch on my hips this morning.

I'm so close to yanking my hair out since I never had this problem in the 2 years I've been working out and losing weight, and I haven't changed anything in terms of what I eat. So please forgive me for making another thread so soon!
  • Are you taking any medications? Any new medications? Including OTC cold, allergy, etc.?

How is your hormone cycle? Do you take hormone supplements? Thyroid supplements?

Do you show signs of edema, such as rings too tight, ankle swelling? If you press your thumb on your ankle for a few seconds, does it leave a dent when you let go?

Consider making an appointment with your doctor. Could be a lot of different things. Maybe you have high blood sugar, high blood pressure, who knows? Might as well rule some things out.

Jay
  • I don't take any meds except birth control, but I was taking it when I lost all my weight, so I ruled that out.

How do you find out your hormone cycle?

No edema, no swelling, tested my ankle but no indent.

It takes a month to see her, so I'm afraid I am on my own for a bit. Any help is appreciated
  • Aisde from medication - increasing your potassium to sodium range often helps drop water. Thus, eat some foods high in potassium and avoid sodium.
  • Quote: Aisde from medication - increasing your potassium to sodium range often helps drop water. Thus, eat some foods high in potassium and avoid sodium.
    Ok I will try that. I have a bunch of bananas and fish that I just bought. Thanks!

I am desperate by this point.
  • HEY! It all goes up and down, like the risings of the tide! your body could just be rebelling! how long has this been going for? i'd say make a drs appointment, and wait it out for another week or some? bloat happens!
  • I hate water weight! I just had some this week and for the past 2 days I cut down on my sodium, drank tons of water and added in a banana for breakfast and I have dropped 5 pounds. Those are the only things I changed. Hope that helps!
  • Quote: HEY! It all goes up and down, like the risings of the tide! your body could just be rebelling! how long has this been going for? i'd say make a drs appointment, and wait it out for another week or some? bloat happens!
    It was happening for 2 weeks and a half since I started my HIIT strength training program. I kept attributing it to sore muscles and muscle gain. Then I had a 7lb whoosh and my measurements went down. Then the next day it went up 13lbs. Now it inched back down to 196 then 193, then back to 198 (when the whoosh had me at 186!!).

Now it's a week since my whoosh and it seems to just keep going back up, as well as my stomach especially gained 3 inches in measurement. By this point I don't see how it's sore muscles or muscle gain, and I don't even get how it's water since I've cut back pretty much everything that causes it and have been drowning myself drinking water.
  • Food allergies can cause bloat. They inflame the digestive system and the reaction is swelling in the tissue - bloat. Look at your intake of wheat and dairy and try cutting out one for a whole week and then the other to see if you have sensitivity when you add them back in.

Kudos for the exercise regime!
  • Try lemon in your water too!
  • Maybe the "whoosh" wasn't really a whoosh, but you happened to be terribly dehydrated at that precise time, and maybe your body is just now back to where it should be, (now that you are drinking so much water...thus re-hydrating it). How long did the lowest weight last? More than a day or 2?
    ETA: Oh, I went back and re-read your post. It was only at the lowest weight for 1 day, so I betcha that was what happened.
  • I can't speak for you, but when I cut carbs I will dump nearly 10 lbs of water weight in about a week. But when I say "cut carbs", I mean it. No pasta. No rice, not even brown. No bread. No juice. No sugar. Our livers can store up to 10 lbs of glycogen, and when you stop eating carbs your liver will flush it out along with stored water. It's a way to "lose weight" very quickly but keep in mind it's not fat you're losing.
  • What comes to mind right now are diuretic anti-adipose teas, but you say you already tried that. Can you find the Sanye tea? It's Chinese and pretty hard core, so if that doesn't help, nothing will. My advice is don't get up on the scale for a while, because whenever I weighed myself and saw no change or even weight gain, I'd get really depressed. I suggest getting a Quantumscale (quantumscale.com), it records your weight and tells you your progress from your first day of diet. It did wonders for my motivation and it's pink so it looks cute in my bathroom.
    Also, it could be some sort of hormonal imbalance, as someone here suggested, I'm not really sure how to check for that.

Good luck!
  • Quote: Maybe the "whoosh" wasn't really a whoosh, but you happened to be terribly dehydrated at that precise time, and maybe your body is just now back to where it should be, (now that you are drinking so much water...thus re-hydrating it). How long did the lowest weight last? More than a day or 2?
    ETA: Oh, I went back and re-read your post. It was only at the lowest weight for 1 day, so I betcha that was what happened.
    That would mean I didn't lose any weight the whole month I worked my *** (bum) off?

...ugh.

Now I feel worse, to be honest.

I don't get how I'd be dehyrated that specific day, since I drank as much water as I always do.

Help?
  • Remember how I said I'm an avid daily weigher, but if all else fails it's time to put away the scale for a few weeks to prevent the crazy time?

Yes Schubunny, it's time. Put that beast away, stow the tape measure, and stick to your plan like glue. Get plenty of healthy fats and minerals from your food and nice scale vacation. Seriously, you need one