So totally discouraged

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • When I started mid-December, my goal was to simply be healthier. In the course of that, I thought I'd lose weight.

For the last 7 weeks I've been:
    • working out 4-6 times a week
    • cutting back on what I eat -- portions, healthier choices
    • cut out soft drinks (went from a liter+ a day of coke to none)
    • cut out tea except 1-2 glasses a day (cut the sugar from that)
    • making sure to drink over 8 glasses of water a day
    • getting plenty of sleep

The results:
    • I feel better
    • I am getting stronger
    • Gained 10 pounds, lost 8 of those

So I'm at a 2 pound gain.

My initial thought was to look at clothing sizes and measurements. Well, guess what...no change there.

I just don't know what to do. I am recording everything I eat. I know I am eating differently and less. I know I am making better choices.

Why can I not see a difference anywhere?

Why can't I be happy with getting stronger?
  • First off, congratulations on the positive changes you have made! Don't get discouraged because you are on the right track.

Without knowing what you are eating, it's hard to say what is stalling your weight loss. Perhaps you are eating foods high in salt/sodium? Are you tracking your calories or keeping some kind of measurement of your portion sizes? It can be shocking to find out how many calories we actually consume when we journal everything we eat and drink each day. Before I used a calorie tracking program, I was making mostly healthy food choices, but eating way more than I realized.

Also, remember that you are probably gaining muscle. I have also heard that when you do strength training, your muscles hang on to water initially. You might be in for a nice weight loss whoosh once your body adjusts to your new regimen.

Don't get discouraged - keep posting and keep trying!
  • Thanks, Guacamole.

I am tracking and measuring. I use fitday and now sparkpeople. And I record everything. Over-estimating when there's a question.

I suppose I just will have to find a way to keep on going. Ugh.
  • You are totally on the right track. Sometimes it takes a little while, but the changes you've made will definitely result in more weight loss (assuming you have not replaced the calories you cut with other calories). Keep doing what you're doing and you will see results. Sorry it's taking so long- sometimes our bodies are just stubborn!
  • How many calories are you eating each day?

ETA: Oh and do you eat back calories burned from excercise?
  • I was also going to ask what Lori Bell asked. But my main comment is, you had a hidden agenda that you would lose weight, even though your stated "goal" was to become healthier. What you've found is that you're now healthier. So, if you want to lose weight, make that your stated goal and do some research into different ways to do that. Weight loss doesn't usually happen as a side effect.

Jay
  • Feeling exactly the same way
    Hi everyone!

I'm almost in tears today!

Started 3 weeks ago, (weight watchers online) have kept on with the points, could use a bit more water, but the food has been on track.

Doing Bikram Yoga everyday for the past 2 days, (hard 90 minute yoga in 105F), so it's sit and meditate kind of thing.

I gained .8lbs the second week, and today WI day, lost the .8. I worked so hard! Had 24 activity points and didn't eat all my extra points.

I know I should be "happy" about this but it's very frustrating. I was hoping for better loss.

I'm going to vouch for more water this week, but everything else with the food has been good. I am eating a lot of fruits and vegetables, lean meats, a few bits of chocolate here and there but within the limits.

I don't want to throw in the towel, but sometimes it's hard not to consider it.

I am now 178 lbs, 46 yo and 5'1 so want to lose at least 30lbs.

Thank you for listening!

Claudia
  • As much as you are working out, it sounds like you have gained some muscle mass which is heavier than fat. If your clothes are fitting the same and your dimensions are the same...you have lost fat and gained muscle. Congrats...you are doing better!
  • thank you
    I have actually been doing bikram for SIX days straight, not two... hence the frustration.

Yes, rationally I know that's true, but it's so frustrating.

Do you think it is wise to weigh yourself every week or maybe every two?

Claudia
  • sorry, I think I was so frustrated I messed my whole response.

it is NOT sit and meditate yoga, it is very physical with a lot of front and back bends and one legged poses.
  • MRC requires that we weigh in twice a week. Quick weight loss required once back in 1990's. Not sure what they require now. I don't have a scale at home which helps me make it to the center to go and weigh. So to answer your question...I think once a week is advisable.
  • But remember that there are amazing changes going on in your body that aren't measured on a scale. Moderator Meg at 3fc

That's from my collection of favorite quotes about weight loss; I think it applies here.
  • Thank you again.

I'm just going to try and take this one day at a time, and focus on the end result and that I am getting healthier.

I remember years ago there was the carb something diet and they suggested you weigh yourself every DAY and then take the average for the week since our weight fluctuates so much and that would be the true loss.

What do you think???
  • Can you post a typical day of food, for you? When I start exercising my muscles retain water and I gain temporarily.