What are your commitments to weight loss/living healthy?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I had great success with the support of 3FC for losing weight before I got pregnant, and I'm ready to get back at it. I'm going to start logging my food again but at the front of my journal I want to make a list of my commitments to eating healthy and weight loss. This is a lifestyle change and I need to lay out some promises to myself so I stay on track.

Just wondering, what are your commitments to weight loss/living healthy?
  • Few carbs (some whole grains, that's it), no sugar, and lots of veggies!
  • Exercise. It's a priority in my life and it has been for over seven years now. If that means I can't hang out with friends, so be it. The exercise comes first.

When I was losing weight I kind of put a lot of my fitness goals on the wayside and focused on that. Now that I'm sort of maintaining, the fitness goals are a priority and the bonus is that I can do so much more at a lighter weight!

I've gone full swing into lifting and I've bought myself weights that I can use at home. I love the fact that I'm getting stronger and fully plan to keep lifting
  • Veggies. The more of them I eat, and the more colorful, the better I feel and the better I look!

Staying constantly moving. I dont mean all the time, lol but always thinking of how I can burn calories. I walk all day at work, every break I get, to get my 'step count' up, I tap my foot all day. I do 10 squats and 10 wall push up's every time I go to the little girls room. ANY movement I can do, it all adds up.
  • No processed, fake foods! Little to no sugar or grains (they don't play nicely with my immune system) and easy on the dairy.

Log my food every day, listen to my hunger cues. WEIGH DAILY!

That's what it takes for me to maintain my losses.
  • You guys have some good commitments! I was close to maintenance before I dropped everything to plan my wedding and a move and then getting pregnant, so this is a good reminder of my past commitments that got me where I was (146 lbs)

So far mine are:
    -Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day
    -Only one caffeinated beverage a day (it gives me fake hunger cues)
    -No sugar
    -Watch my carbs, with around 60-75% of them coming from veggies
    -Eat healthy whole foods, stay away from processed stuff
    -Try to do something active each day even though I'm stuck in the house with a baby until the snow clears up
    -Make sure I'm getting adequate fiber
    -Get back into heavy weight lifting, it made me feel good and look good
  • Ooh, and some more!

-Weigh myself daily, it keeps me real
    -Measurements every two weeks
    -Log everything I eat
  • These are the ones that I plan on keeping the rest of my life:

Exercise. I have to move. It doesn't mean I need to be at the current schedule but at least 2-3x a week I NEED to exercise.

Whole grains. We eat white bread only on very, very special occasions (like Christmas) beyond that we eat whole wheat/whole grains for everything.

Low Sugar Diet. When I started I went sugar free for 6 months. Now I'll eat it on occasion but I always buy single portion sizes and if we go out and get a dessert we split it amongst the three of us. At home I mostly just use maple syrup/blue agave/honey to cook with.

Lots of fruits and veggies and meat. Without thinking much about it we've cut back significantly on dairy and carbs (by that I mean bread, rice etc, not veggies/fruit) and most of our meals are composed of meat+veggies with fruit for dessert. It helps that where we live cheese is freaking expensive (as well as my favorite breads) but these changes really have changed the amount of food we consume.

I've never calorie counted consistently so mostly I just work on watching my hunger signals, eating snacks, keeping hydrated etc. I feel these are things I can maintain for the rest of my life, which is absolutely my goal.

ETA: I also had to come to accept there are certain foods I REFUSE to give up: pizza, hamburgers, and hotdogs. Now, I'll eat less pizza and combine it with a salad or eat just one hamburger loaded up with veggies, no fries or eat hotdogs with soup but I'm still eating them and a diet without them always leads to some insane binges otherwise.

ETA2: I see others have mentioned daily weighing and that's definitely one of mine but I forgot to mention it.
  • Mine are pretty simple:

Eat ONLY foods I love, with mostly healthy stuff and in moderation
    Exercise regularly (4-5 times per week)
    Weigh myself at least twice a week and promptly cut back for a while if I've exceeded my goal range.

F.
  • 1. I will stumble and my success on this journey depends NOT on my not ever faltering but upon my ability to get back up and keep moving forward.

2. I will learn to deal with my emotions instead of eating them away.

3. I will weigh myself daily but remember that the scale is just one tool to measure my progress. That number does not define me.

4. I will keep my carb consumption under control because this is what works best for my body.

5. I will exercise - even if it's just in my own home - because it's important and because even while fat - toned is better than flabby.
    1. Track what I eat & stay within the boundaries of my program (I participate in WW online)
    2. Eat as few processed foods as possible
    3. Exercise 5x per week at the gym
    4. Constantly strive to understand the triggers behind my binges
    5. Force myself to remain positive (oh yes, fake it until you make it!)
    6. Get off, and stay off, all medications
    7. Measurements @ every 10lb weight loss
    8. Make no excuses
  • Eat at home. I mean, really, I wanna go out a lot. I do. But it's all so full of sodium and calories and it's expensive in more ways than just my wallet. And it's pretty wallet expensive, too. I try to limit my excursions to things like Panera (where I have a 300 calorie standard order) and even then I try to keep them infrequent.

Eat breakfast. It's a personal commitment to being good for the rest of the day. If I've got my banana and my yogurt in me, nothing can stop me.

Don't eat anything I don't like. Being on plan should be a good thing for me, not a chore. If it's a chore, then I'm doing something wrong.
  • Great list, chickies! Stick to those commitments and it will definitely show on your bodies
  • Always order the small.
  • 1. Track, the good, the bad and the ugly.
    2. Exercise. Currently doing the NROL4W.
    3. Explore new foods.
    4. Daily weigh in.
    5. Keep going to WW meetings.
    6. Look for more like minded people to be friends with.
    7. Participate in some of our local hospital's get fit, stay fit events.
    8. Remember, I'm not perfect, and when I have one of "those" days, it's ok, just
    pick my self up and move on.