Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/161/140

Height: 5'1

Exclamation Advice please!!!

I've am 5 weeks into this weight loss "journey" and I still have lots of motivation just maybe a little less then when I first started. I have been counting calories and exercising 6 days a week and I have lost 9 lbs. I feel really good about it I know slow weight loss is the key and 9 lbs is really good in a month. My problem is I work 8 hours a day 40 hours a week so I dont always feel like coming home and exercising but I make myself do it, so I wondering how important exercising really is and if I stop will I not lose as much weight? I'm doing Turbo fire and my workout range between 15 min to an hour and again its 6 days a week. Am I just being lazy of what?
757MISTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/200/180

Height: 6'

I hear you loud and clear! I leave in the morning for school/work at 7 and get out of work at 5. And then i have to go to the gym!? I try to get as much exercise as possible but when I feel like skipping it I don't worry too much. Just watch what you eat that day that you don't exercise. I recently read an article online. this woman wanted to loose 20 pounds in a month. she weight 150 and was eating the amount of calories to maintain her weight. but then she realized, she doesnt want to maintain her 150, she wants to loose 20 pounds! so she started eating the amount of calories that maintain 130 and she ended up loosing 25 pounds in the month with no exercise. while that seems extreme i'm trying it. I've been at it for 9 days and have lost 5 pounds. i've gone to the gym maybe 4 times.
csugirl93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Can you try exercising in the morning? It can jumpstart your day and make you more energized, then you don't have to worry about being too tired late in the day. I do that in the summer when my schedule is more flexible and my trainer liked morning sessions.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/161/140

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Can you try exercising in the morning? It can jumpstart your day and make you more energized, then you don't have to worry about being too tired late in the day. I do that in the summer when my schedule is more flexible and my trainer liked morning sessions.
Heck No! lol I already wake up at 5:30 in the morning that's not gonna work.
757MISTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #5  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Of course you can - but forgetting the numbers on the scale for a moment, you're going to look WAY better if you exercise regularly compared to if you don't. Your number may be lower or the same, but you won't look fit/sculpted.

...or that's what I tell myself over and over again to make sure I get myself to the gym after work anyway!!
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Exercise is important for your health. If this is a lifestyle change for you, then you must view it as something other than helping you create more of a calorie deficit. You must view it as something that is necessary for you to live a healthy life. If you're physically able, you should be exercising.

I know how hard it can be to want to exercise in the evenings, but my advice is to just do it. Ignore that voice in your head, get dressed for a workout and do it. You probably feel much better after your workouts anyway.

Last edited by sontaikle; 01-31-2012 at 05:34 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Agree with sontaikle, but wanted to add, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. On days you are absolutely exhausted, don't do it, but keep track and make a promise to not skip more than X days a week. You don't need formal exercise 6 days a week. And, you can fit it in other ways. Walking during lunch, parking further away at the mall/stores. Doing yard work, etc. just be more active whenever you can because it's all good for you.

You don't want to loathe exercise, so make it so that you can enjoy what you can get out of it and don't go into it with an all or nothing attitude.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #8  

I agree with berry 100%. I think many of us who have struggled with our weight are extremist thinkers. For many of us, it's all or nothing. I've tried to change that way of thinking, and it's really helping me to realize that consistency is more important than perfection (and the latter isn't achievable anyway).
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 307/see ticker/169

Height: 5'7"

Try creating a new routine for yourself. I started getting up at 445 in the morning and working out at the gym before I go on with my day. After 2 weeks of this, my body adjusted: I started to wake naturally around 5 and it wasnt a struggle to get out of bed. the am workouts suited me better because I would NEVER exercise in the evening. Plus, I would go to sleep earlier (I used to be a real night owl, but now I go to sleep when my kids do between 8-9pm) AM workouts may seem impossible, but waking up at 5am will allow you to get your 30 min workout in (try an exercise tape, tae bo, walk away the pounds are good ones) and give you the rest of your day for yourself.
mystyblue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Exercise is definitely important but boy do I completely understand the desire to surf the sofa instead of getting up and doing a work out! I tend to think of it like work and paying bills - just something I have to do and the sooner I get it done the sooner I can go on to the things I *want* to be doing.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #11  

Height: 5'5

You must double the effort.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #12  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I hate working out, but I hate working out in the mornings even more. I suggest finding a class that you like. I have joined a kickboxing class and I LOVE IT. I usually hate getting all sweaty and hate getting my heart rate up, but I absolutely love doing both of those things in that class. Who knew punching and kicking things could be so up lifting!..... However, good luck getting me on a treadmill or something. So yeah, I would explore different options and maybe you'll find an exercise you love!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I think "they" say that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So, realistically, you could continue to lose about 80% of your current rate without exercise.

I'm down 12lbs. since the 2nd of January with no exercise. But, I joined a gym because, without the exercise, i don't see the changes in my body I want. the arms are still flabby, my tummy is atrocious and we can forget about my thighs. So, realistically, do you have to exercise? Most likely not. But its not hurting and it will help you see those results in a better light.

Maybe try mixing it up? go for a walk, take a class, ride bikes with the kids (husband, boyfriend, neighbor). Exercise doesn't always have to be 100% structured "exercise"
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

I agree, modivation is a B*TCH when it comes to working. I wake up at 5:20 and work 10 hour days, 5 days a week. Getting to the gym for me was a challenge. There's no way in **** I am going in the morning, it's hard enough to get sleep!

My boyfriend and I just started week 2 of P90x. I think it helps that we are both doing it, because we have been doing great so far. I think you have to also mentally plan for it, and leave no wiggle room. Do it as soon as you get home.

This new routine is really time consuming as I have fallen behind on my household chores, no doubt. He gets home over an hour after me..so I have a little time to clean...then we workout..then I cook supper, clean up, shower, and maybe we have time to relax and watch a movie AT MOST and that's staying up till ten! PARTY!? I have had to make more of an effort for our "adult time" too as we are pretty tired after this new schedule.

I know realistically we will not be able to do this routine forever. My goal is to get through the 90 days, and then maintain. It should be easier to maintain provided the food choices are still good and getting at least 3-5 days a week exercise.

But yes I understand completely and it does suck. Stick it out till you hit your goals and you can back off a little for some "you" time!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #15  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I work out twice a day. I get up at 5:00 and do about 30 minutes to jump start my metabolism, then I work out again when I get home. It's time consuming and I don't always feel like it, but I know without it I can't lose weight, so I do it anyway.

Some people can lose weight without working out; you may be one of them. The trouble is that you don't really have *that* much to lose, relatively speaking, and the smaller you get, the harder it is to do it without exercise. Plus building muscles helps burn calories, so you won't lose as quickly without exercise.

It's exhausting sometimes for sure, but you'll like the results a lot better if you keep it up, and your bones will thank you.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote