I'm very frustrated today.

• Jan 1st I was 329.2. Saturday I was 314 and this morning I was hoping to see 313 but it was 316. I know that I didn't eat enough to gain 2 lbs yesterday. I even counted my calories. It isn't time for AF. Could I seriously have gained weight? I've walked over 50 miles so far in January, quit Diet Coke, drink water, count calories. I'm just frustrated. I did eat at my Moms yesterday and could possibly had too much sodium. Anyway.. Im frustrated and just needed to get it out. Thanks for listening.
  • I hear ya! Up or down two or three pounds a day is completely normal, and you're right that it may be sodium. It's the trend over time that matters.

I only weight on Wed and Sat, and only the Saturday one "counts" (I write it down), b/c it just drives me crazy if I weight too often. I like to pay attention to how clothes fit and how I feel, what I can do, rather than fixating on one stupid NUMBER. (Though I really really really want that number to change!!)

It sounds like you are doing all the right things -- good for you!
  • Unless you ate your maintenance calorie amount PLUS 7000 additional calories, then the answer is NO, you did not gain 2 pounds yesterday.

It's the ups and downs of things. The scale is unreliable and we all know that. Anything can affect it negatively. Sodium, loss of sleep, stress, hormonal variances (not just those associated with TTOM), even working out and your body retaining water/glycogen stores to aid with recovery.

It is always annoying to see higher numbers, but you know what you are doing, you have confidence in your plan, and you are being honest with yourself about what it's going to take to lose the weight.

Stick to your guns and know that science eventually wins. If calories in are less than calories expended . . you lose weight.
  • Hi, Alana Jo. No, there's no way you gained 2 lbs. of fat in a day. Don't worry about those daily differences. At your current size, that kind of difference could be due to almost anything! Water retention, hormones, gosh, the spin of the Earth on its axis! In other words, it could just be random.

Choose one day a week that is your "official" recording day. You could still weigh every day if you wanted to, but only "count" it on your recording day.

Another idea would be only to track the low readings, regardless of what day they fall on.

Either way, there will be times when weight will go up and down by that much for no real reason. Just ride it out! You're doing fine.

Hang in there!
    Jay
  • I completely understand where you're coming from. There's nothing like making steps forward and taking a step back. One thing I learned over my weight struggling years is that the best time of the day to weight yourself is in the morning after you go to the bathroom. Once you go and remove all the waste from your body you'll get a more accurate number. I'm not sure what time you weighed yourself, but that morning you could have weight 313, and because of fluid intake throughout the day it can change your weight anywhere from 1-3lbs. During menstruation you can retain almost an additional 5lbs of water weight. That's why it's best to weight yourself in the morning. Don't get discouraged. It's just a small setback that can be fixed in a week or even less. You can do anything you put your mind to!
  • I was wondering if I could be your buddy in losing weight. I am a daily weigher and am looking for support and encouragment to give and return. My email address is my screen name at yahoo.com
  • It's probably just sodium. My weight fluctuates 2-3 pounds if I forget to watch my salt intake. Like a previous poster, I always use the low reading for the week since my body isn't going to give me a false negative, if that makes sense.
  • In the 300s (I'm right there with you), I have come to realize that the "normal ups and downs" of the scale swing further up and further down than they do at the lower weights. Where someone in the 150s may be plus or minus a pound every day, it is not uncommon for me to shift as much as 3 pounds from day to day.

Based on what you said, it's NOT a pound of fat. Could be added muscle (you're exercising), retained water, or any number of other variances.

I'm an almost-every-day weigher and I have really had to learn that the scale is not going to cooperate every day. But every week, the highest and lowest numbers I see seem to inch lower and lower. It's not about yesterday versus today... it's about the general downward trend.

Hang in there!
  • Thank you all so much. I am in much better spirits this afternoon and I really appreciate the support.
  • Just wanted to chime in and add my support!! Goodness knows that I go up and down a pound or two for the most random reasons or no reason at all. I suspect there's an evil gremlin who lives in my scale.
  • Thankfully the scale was nicer this morning. 314 again. I was hoping for 313 but at least it isn't still 316. LOL. Thank goodness!