Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #1  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Default Whoosh got un-whooshed

I just got my 7lb whoosh yesterday after 2 weeks and a half. I confirmed it by taking measurements, and lost an inch on my hips, half on my tummy and half on my arms. I also visibly looked smaller and my arms looked tighter.

Now I weighed myself and I'm back up those 7lbs. Should I be worried? The day I got the whoosh I had taken the day before off exercising, but exercised the morning of the whoosh (weight training mostly, some cardio).

I did have 10 glasses of water yesterday and my salt was high but not extremely.

I am just wondering if I should count it as a loss? Yes, I do weigh myself every day, but I'm not used to whooshes as I never got them very often in the past.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

hmmm. I had the same thing happen today, I was up, for no reason. I just take my weight every friday morning for my "official" weight and ignore all the other times that I just can't stay off that scale. I would guess it is water weight, I am thinking I was up today, because I didnt eat dinner until almost 9PM last night.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

For whatever reason, I have that happen too- I'll 'whoosh' and then gradually come back up over the course of a week or so. It's frustrating.

Did you weigh yourself right after working out? That could definitely have an impact.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #4  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Make a pact with someone to give the daily weighing a break. I know, I know, I'm guilty of it, but do try to stay off and I'm good for a couple of days in a row. We truly fluctuate so much based on water retention, sodium content, full bladders and full bowels and work-out-muscles-filled-with-water. Oddly enough, drinking even more water helps to hydrate the body properly so it lets go of the water it is storing.

Don't let the weigh ins get to you. That is MY problem with the scale--it severely affects me if it is up. Better to do weekly for a more accurate count.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #5  
the aly bagel

Ok, but no one gave me really an answer if I should count this as a loss or not.

I always weigh myself as soon as I get up, after I pee.

I know all about fluctuations, water retention, etc. I am just not used to such a large whoosh and I am afraid somehow I am tricking myself into thinking I shouldn't count this as a loss -even though I really really want to.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #6  
PCOS and Tuesday weigher!

S/C/G: 288/295/175ish?

Height: 5ft4

Well if you count it as a loss won't you have to count the addition back as a gain? Maybe you could split the difference and record a 3.5lb loss, or just give it a day or two to see if it stabilizes at the lower number.
knoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #7  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxie View Post
Well if you count it as a loss won't you have to count the addition back as a gain? Maybe you could split the difference and record a 3.5lb loss, or just give it a day or two to see if it stabilizes at the lower number.
That sounds like a good idea, maybe I will do that I'll see if it stabilizes first and if not half it.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

I don't count anything as a loss until I weigh that or below at least 2 times in a row.

Our bodies fluctuate too much and, like they said, if you are going to count one as a loss, then you must count the other as a gain.

When I see a new super low number, I know that's the number my body is headed towards, but it's probably going to take a few days to actually stabilize there.

We don't like giving up weight, but that means your body is about ready to let it go.

7 pounds is a HUGE whoosh considering your current weight, so don't get too frustrated if it takes a little bit to see that number again. The biggest whoosh I have ever gotten was 5 lbs and it took a week to see that number consistently, after seeing it the first time.

Congrats though!
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/See ticker/Healthier!

Height: 5'6"

I would only count it on official weigh in day. If you have one. Or record it, count it, and in turn count the regain. I catch myself weighing when I see a scale, but only count Saturday morning weigh ins using the same scale. Its hard when you have seen a whoosh and its gone, but I think overall it's more accurately showing the trend.
packgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I agree with only counting it once you see the number twice. My weigh-ins work about the same way--I have to see it continually for it to count. On the plus side, this is also the feelings I have about those high numbers
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote