How embarrasing

• So I'm at the grocery store, and today I was feeling particularly great. My exercise and diet are going very well, so I had that little hmpph in my step. Well, I saw the blood pressure machine in the pharmacy section so I decided I would take my pressure because its been a while. When I go to sit down, I realize that not only is the arm cuff rather small, but so is the bench they provide for one to sit in. That's not all though, as I'm trying to fiddle my arm in the cuff , I realize that I am literally tipping the entire display over. Apparently it wasn't bolted down , or held in place (who knows) so when I sat down the whole display was tipping over. As I look over I see a few people watching me, I was mortified. Needless to say I immediately freed myself from the cuff, got up and left. So much for that good feeling.

Just thought I'd share, I cant help but giggle.
  • Now you have something to look forward to! Fitting in that contraption!
  • That's so weird. You'd think that they'd make it to fit bigger arms since overweight people are a group that need to check their blood pressure. I have high blood pressure but I'm always too embarrassed to try out the grocery store one. I guess now I'll stay away from it for a little while. :-) At least now I know.

Well regardless, hold on to those feelings that you felt when you walked in. You're doing great. :-)
  • Don't worry about the small thing. I really don't think they make them big enough. They make them to fit the "average" arm, whatever that means. It was really too small for my arm at my heaviest too. And the darn thing should have been bolted down. That's just simple physics!

I'm sorry you were embarrassed and am glad you're able to giggle about it now. I'd have been mortified too.
  • I had a blood pressure problem when I was at my high weight, and had to struggle into a number of blood pressure cuffs. Ugh, I remember more than one nurse needing to change the regular cuff to a large size just to take my BP. I also remember barely being able to squeeze my arm into the cuff in the machine at my local pharmacy. It seems pretty obvious that lots of folks needing to monitor blood pressure would be overweight. Shouldn't the cuffs provided be bigger?
  • yeah, forget about it. I don't even know if I'd trust a contraption like that to give a reliable reading. Just dealing with that probably wouldn't gotten my bp up, ha.
  • Quote: yeah, forget about it. I don't even know if I'd trust a contraption like that to give a reliable reading. Just dealing with that probably wouldn't gotten my bp up, ha.
    This. The grocery store ones are hardly ever calibrated or maintained.