3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Caffeine & weight loss. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/250873-caffeine-weight-loss.html)

LW12 01-18-2012 01:58 PM

Caffeine & weight loss.

I'm a bit of a coffee fiend. I don't put sugar in my coffee & always drink it with skimmed or semi skimmed milk. Does caffeine have any effect on weight loss? I've given up so much already & I get a certain amount of pleasure from sitting down with a hot mug of coffee. I don't want to give it up but if it would make a substantial difference I would force myself to make that change.

Lambiechop 01-18-2012 02:11 PM

I don't find that it does but if I go without I'm definitely not much fun to be around. I drink about 6 cups a day with skim milk and I'm losing at a pretty decent rate.

Munchy 01-18-2012 02:12 PM

I don't think so - only the calories from the additions (cream, sugar, etc) and the effects of caffeine on appetite. For some people caffeine makes them hungrier, for others it works as an appetite suppressant.

One of my personal trainer friends drinks a cup of black coffee before going to the gym daily.

I've cut down on it considerably because it has somehow suddenly made me jittery, but still drink about 10oz a day.

JudgeDread 01-18-2012 02:14 PM

I've read a lot of articles on caffeine and weight loss. It is actually recommended to intake a certain amout of caffeine due to a temporary metabolism increase. That is not to say it will make you drop weight without working at it..but it may help you burn a few more calories than without. If you drink that much coffee try to drink it black, but in total if you are staying under 50-100 calories of milk in your coffee total you should be fine.

JudgeDread 01-18-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchy (Post 4177936)
I don't think so - only the calories from the additions (cream, sugar, etc) and the effects of caffeine on appetite. For some people caffeine makes them hungrier, for others it works as an appetite suppressant. One of my personal trainer friends drinks a cup of black coffee before going to the gym daily.

I've cut down on it considerably because it has somehow suddenly made me jittery, but still drink about 10oz a day.

That's true for a bit. I notice if I drink coffee in the morning before breakfast I can wait longer before eating bfast since I do not feel as hungry. I usually eat 2 hours after waking up.

If you get real jittery yes eat before coffee! I think I have the gut of a racoon haha.:carrot:

LW12 01-18-2012 02:18 PM

YAY! No giving up coffee. Thanks folks! :)

Munchy 01-18-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudgeDread (Post 4177941)
If you get real jittery yes eat before coffee! I think I have the gut of a racoon haha.:carrot:

It's so odd, I have been a hardcore coffee drinker (30+ oz a day of strong, strong coffee) for about 15 years. I used to drink it all night and it never had any effect on me. Suddenly I'm jittery from even 5oz of coffee, especially if I drink it on an empty stomach. :o

JudgeDread 01-18-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchy (Post 4177954)
It's so odd, I have been a hardcore coffee drinker (30+ oz a day of strong, strong coffee) for about 15 years. I used to drink it all night and it never had any effect on me. Suddenly I'm jittery from even 5oz of coffee, especially if I drink it on an empty stomach. :o

Well could be a few things going on....age perhaps. And type of coffee. I will get jittery if I drink more than 6 cups (as the coffee pot brews). I have a tendancy to drink more on my days off...did that last week and I felt like crap!

And now that you backed off 30 ounces you are probably not used to the high caffeine intake anymore. You would have to work your way back up if you wanted to drink more!

mmmmmmmmm coffee:devil:

lin43 01-18-2012 07:22 PM

Munchy, I'm like you were: Coffee does not affect my sleep. I have two espressos every night, and I sleep like a baby.

To the original question, my husband drinks a massive amount of coffee, and I honestly believe it's one reason he doesn't have a weight problem. I believe in his case, it suppresses his appetite. He often eats breakfast, skips lunch, and just has dinner. In between, he drinks coffee all day long.

Coffee suppresses my appetite, too, and I really like it, but I'm good with just two mugs a day and two espressos at night.

Petite Powerhouse 01-18-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudgeDread (Post 4177941)
I notice if I drink coffee in the morning before breakfast I can wait longer before eating bfast since I do not feel as hungry. I usually eat 2 hours after waking up.

I drink decaf (drinking any more caffeine than that makes me very ill), but I still find this to be true. Non-caffeinated tea also works.

rainydays 01-18-2012 07:45 PM

Also a diehard coffee drinker, and I've lost 90 pounds drinking it the whole way down. I too find it to be a good appetite suppressant and an energy booster before exercise.

pattyhues 01-18-2012 09:12 PM

Caffeine is a proven fat burner and there are litterally thousands of studies to back that up. special diets like that come and go. increasing caffeine intake is the way to go to cut body fat. just dont over due it.

novangel 01-18-2012 10:15 PM

Coffee is an excellent appetite suppressant for me..and um..helps to keep the bowels moving as well. Sorry TMI.

Natasha22 01-19-2012 08:20 AM

Yes, it's true coffee "wakes up" your metabolism, which means you'll burn calories faster and it also gives you the energy to work out more. For those who are not a big fans of coffee it's easy to replace with any drink that contains caffeine, such as green tea. I'd advice staying away from sodas though, even diet sodas (diet coke or anything like that)!

MiZTaCCen 01-19-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchy (Post 4177936)
for others it works as an appetite suppressant.

I just resently starting drinking coffee last year (when I had three jobs) it actually used to help "regulate" me now my body is just amune to it.

It also helps suppress my appetite (it's kind of like the energy drinks I used to drink. Drink one and I can go for a few hours with out eating even though they are soo bad for you.) I'm bad tho...when I go out for coffee I'll get milk and 1 sugar, but at home I buy these french vanilla creams which make it taste yummy...but I'm also still experimenting with what I like so it's not like if I get something wrong in my coffee I'll know! lol

Sometimes it makes me jittery, and most times I'm okay it's so weird how that happens...