Does broccoli count as a leafy green vegetable?

• I need to eat more leafy green vegetables, but I don't like them. I do like broccoli though. Does it count?
  • Interesting question. It isn't "leafy" so I would not call it a green leafy vegetable. However, it does have similar nutritional properties (fiber, vitamins) to spinach or kale, so I would vote it a decent substitute.
  • If you like broccoli, you might also like broccoli raab, which is a leafy green veggie. And I'd agree that broccoli is a good step in the right direction, even if it's not officially "leafy"
  • Quote: If you like broccoli, you might also like broccoli raab, which is a leafy green veggie. And I'd agree that broccoli is a good step in the right direction, even if it's not officially "leafy"
    I was going to say this! Raab tastes like broccoli, but its literally leaves, lol... But if you like broccoli, have at it!
  • I count it as a green leafy vegetable. To me any green vegetable is worth eating no matter what it is and often I will have a 500 gram serving of frozen broccoli for an evening meal (along with my fish or seafood).
  • Which leafy greens have you tried, and prepared in what ways?

If you don't like gloppy spinach or chewy kale, I'm with you.

I do, however, like most any green lightly sauteed w/garlic. Or endive or bok choy, cut in half, brushed with oil and grilled.

If you have tried many different varieties and prep methods, feel free to ignore me
  • Why is it important that you eat _leafy_ vegetables? I mean, why would broccoli not be appropriate as a green veg?
  • There are certain unique concentrations of vitamins and minerals in "green leafy vegetables", such that a lot of healthy diet plans encourage people to eat X servings of them a day. For example, the "What to Expect" diet for pregnant women suggests eating 2-3 servings of "green, leafy vegetables" a day. It's a commonly used category in diet plans. The USDA uses it, as well, in food plan recommendations.

Every list of "green leafies" I have seen has included broccoli. It has pretty much the same nutrient profiles as the more traditional members.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/35...fy-vegetables/