I bought a new scale and now I weigh more!

• We have an old scale. I was following my weight loss on it and made it to 179. Finally out of the 180's. We started a biggest loser contest at work and someone brought in a scale. That scale weighed me 3 pounds heavier then at home. I was ok with that because I am dressed when I step on it.

It was a digital scale and the home scale is the old dial kind. So this weekend I went and bought a digital scale, because every tenth of a pound counts! Well this one weighs me 6 pounds more then my old one.. putting me back at 185! How can this be??? I want to throw it out the window.

Now I dont know what I weigh.. 3 different scales.. 3 different weights.
  • I think if you started weighing yourself on one scale, you should stick with that scale.. for consistency. Just pick a scale and stick with it.

If you want the most accurate version of your weight, head down to the doctor's office (or even a gym, a community center, some place like that) and ask them if they will weigh you Then you'll know which scale is closer to the truth.

But no matter what the ultimate number is.. you aren't 6 lbs heavier than you were yesterday! It's not necessarily about being one weight or the other.. it's how many pounds you've lost, and the only way to track that would be to use the original scale (or adjust everything by 6 lbs for the new scale).

Home scales can be dicey, I just bought a new digital scale which puts me an entire pound less than my old digital scale, urgh. That may sound like a good thing, but I'd rather have consistency and be a pound "heavier" (I'm not any heavier, but you know what I mean) than deal with the change!
  • I did the same thing last year. I had been using a super cheap analog scale. When I finally bought a nice digital scale, I learned my analog scale was off by 10lb! I know the digital scale is correct, it matches my weight on a friends scale and my parents. As big of a shock as it was (more so because it pushed my starting weight to my highest ever), I really just had to let go of being freak out over it. It wasn't easy, and took a few days, but I moved past it and it's nice to know I have an accurate measurement now.
  • Scales are frustrating. They vary from types of scales to where you place them on the floor. And then you go the doctors and I always weigh about 5 pounds more than my scale shows. Part of that is clothes, but the other part is just the difference in scales. I agree with the comment to just stick with one and don't weight yourself on any others. That's what I'm trying to do. At least then, no matter what weight you really are, as you lose weight it will be a consistent number.
  • Quote: I think if you started weighing yourself on one scale, you should stick with that scale.. for consistency. Just pick a scale and stick with it.
    I'm going to have to agree with Adalyn. Just because another scale reads a different number does not mean that you have gained 10lbs.

I've had the same problem...I had the cheapo old needle gauged scale. My daughter had purchased a digital scale so I thought I would try it 'cause I could actually see how many pounds and ounces I weighed. BIG MISTAKE
    Yup, I too ended up weighing about 7lbs more than my other scale showed.

Needless to say...I stuck with the old scale...hehehe And managed to lose about 40lbs with a smile.