Losing weight at university?

• Hi everyone! I just wanted to see if any of you are working to lose weight while living at university, such as in on campus housing. I found it to be a lot more difficult than living in my apartment because of the buffet style dining halls and unhealthy food offered at the quick service restaurants. I'm moving into an apartment next school year, but for the next 6 months I'm stuck here trying to stay away from everything but grilled chicken, veggies, brown rice, fruit, the salad bar, veggie burgers, and soup. I'm doing okay so far but I hope that it will be something that I can maintain once I move out because I'm definitely looking to expand my diet options once I leave. Does anyone else go through this?
  • Hey!! I appoint myself as the PERFECT girl to answer this question

I lived in the dorm for two years, and was really overweight (all my life) but couldn't lose weight because I could not resist the temptation of all the stuff you could buy in the dining hall. Honestly, I would eat about 4 huge meals a day, and then at night we'd go down to the convenience store thing and buy tons of junk food snacks. No wonder I was fat lol.

As soon as last school year ended, I said bye bye to the dorms/dining hall food in front of my face, and lost about 30 pounds by becoming a gym addict over the summer lol.

Moving out of the dorms was the BEST THING THAT COULD EVER HAPPEN TO ME, because for the 2011-2012 school year, I moved into my first apartment on campus, and I have been able to keep that weight off and lose even more. Because I am eating my OWN food, not tempting chips and cookies and pop that I can have for free.

My advice to you, is that because you still have this semester in the dorms, GO TO THE CAMPUS GYM in the evening time when you'd normally eat. I do this every single day, and I save myself so many calories. I was always too shy to go to the gym, but now it's apart of my life.

Any questions?? Hope I could help.
  • Yeah, I definitely wish that I could live in an apartment but I've signed into a housing contract unfortunately. I think what got me was that last quarter I got so busy and over whelmed (I had transfered and it was my first quarter) and I excused myself to eat at the quick service restaurants which consisted of pizzas and panda express-esque food. Now I haven't been to any of those restaurants and have been focusing on going JUST to the dining halls. It's hard and I'm still never quite sure how healthy something is. I finally realized that we have this tiny gym inside the building right next to us so I've been going there. I just realized that this quarter! So I definitely think I'm doing better, but it's super hard to not grab desert when there is a huge display case of it or to skip pizza and all the bad things and just get my grilled chicken and salad. Yikes! I'm glad to hear that you're having a much better time living in an apartment! I can't wait.
  • Thanks for the gym advice by the way!