3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Have your taste buds changed? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/249907-have-your-taste-buds-changed.html)

ghlover 01-06-2012 02:39 PM

Have your taste buds changed?

I have noticed that since I started my weight loss journey back in mid Oct, that my taste buds have changed. On the days that I decide to treat myself to real food that I used to savor, I find it just doesn't taste the same anymore.

Anyone else had this happen to them?

BuffJim 01-06-2012 02:43 PM

Yes with Diet soda. I don't drink the stuff much anymore, and when I do it tastes kind of weird. I used to crave it.

sacha 01-06-2012 02:45 PM

I find restaurant food overwhelmingly salty.

Mimzzy 01-06-2012 02:45 PM

Over the holidays I experienced this. I would so looking forward to some of my favorite treats and when I actually had them I was disappointed. Some of the things were to bland and tasted like cardboard and some of them were way to sweet and actually hurt my teeth.

I guess it's a good thing, it did keep me from gorging myself on my used to be favorites

Italiannie 01-06-2012 02:47 PM

Definitely! Eating clean foods cleanses the palette. Sweets taste sweeter, salty is over the top and greasy clings to the roof of the mouth. I often wonder, why we go back to the old ways of eating?

I met a young woman a few years ago. She was from South America. She said when she got here she thought everything tasted too salty/greasy/sweet. Well, I'm sorry to say she fell in love with the typical American diet, gained about 15lbs, and when she goes home to visit, the food tastes bland to her.

I know there's a lesson in there. I guess we need to enjoy wonderful, healthy foods and stay away from the junk. - So easy to say.

Lori Bell 01-06-2012 04:02 PM

Not me. Every thing I used to love, I still love. Though, a lot of stuff I used to eat, I didn't nessarly like all that much. The difference is now, I don't eat things that I used to eat "just because it was there". But a piece of cheesecake, or a can of deluxe mixed nuts still tastes awesome to me!

Precious Little 01-06-2012 05:30 PM

I find I don't enjoy the regular chocolate bars you buy in the supermarket as much as I used to (and I once was addicted to that stuff).

I only really enjoy the expensive luxury Swiss chocolates (which I had at Christmas) and the good thing about that is it's out of bounds to me for the rest of the year because of the cost :) and no, cheap chocolate just won't cut it anymore!

I still enjoy potato chips mmm! but not in the quantities I used to eat. I relish the taste of the first say, 10, but after that, it's like my taste buds switch off and I can't taste anything, so why waste the calories if I'm not getting the taste?

I can still eat ice cream but only in much smaller quantities than I used to take (like, one or 2 scoops) and that's fine, I don't have it very often anyway because I end up feeling a bit ill afterwards (it can mess with my sleep patterns too).

I find the taste of alcohol to be too bitter and unless it's a really sweet drink I only seem to be able to taste the bitterness and don't really enjoy it. So I can't handle my drink anymore (one drink and I"m drunk) and don't bother with the stuff 'cept for Christmas/New Year. I really don't feel like I'm missing out on much there.

I also find soft drinks/soda too sweet - I can handle a few sips, but can't finish a whole can. I now prefer sparkling mineral water as I realised I just like the fizz and don't need all the extra sugar/chemicals.

Full fat sour cream is something I can't tolerate at all - way too rich for me and I feel ill after having it. If I must have it then the quantities have to be reduced and I only take the reduced fat version. Such a shame because it tastes really good, just that the rest of my body doesn't like it.

whatsammysaid 01-06-2012 06:40 PM

I have noticed a change. I can't stand salt in food anymore! I can't even have regular milk chocolate, its just too sweet, I enjoy dark chocolate so much more. I can't eat more than two pieces of candy though, I'll start to feel sick. I can not drink soda at all, it doesn't taste right anymore and I've never enjoyed the fizzyness of soda. When it comes to ice cream I've noticed it now gives me stomach aches.

makingthechanges 01-06-2012 08:04 PM

Taste buds have definitely changed! I don't have the issue with salt some of you have mentioned, but I'm a bit of a saltoholic. I also smoke so that may be why. (yeah yeah, I know. 1 thing at a time.)

But the things I used to crave, like fast food, I have really zero interest in. Another trigger food, chips etc, at first I would treat myself on weekends to them but as usual would devour the whole bag. Realized I felt sick afterwards and got really no pleasure from it. I still THINK I crave it, but when I think about it, realize what really sounds better is a crispy salad or something else that is real food. I'm really happy to think I'm retraining my taste buds. I didn't eat anything found in nature for so long, which is what got me into this mess...it's like now my body is going, "give me more of that good stuff!"

Still can't be trusted in the same room as nuts or really good cheese, though.

ChickieChicks 01-06-2012 08:31 PM

Absolutely! While it's nice to be more easily able to avoid bad food choices, I actually miss the "food joy" feeling from certain foods. Food to me now it just fuel, and I don't have any really awesome things that I enjoy eating right now. But my palette changes constantly.